[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career/Education

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: vietnamese_math_prof_34.jpg (163KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
vietnamese_math_prof_34.jpg
163KB, 650x433px
Should I give up on pursuing a career as a Math professor?

I am about to graduate from a no-name state school in bumfuck nowhere with my BSc in Math. All my peers are lazy and unmotivated and my coursework overall has been much easier than what students are actual decent schools get. I am BY FAR the best Math student at my university even though my credentials aren't "best in class" standard (3.9 GPA, research experience, an internship, graduating at age 20, etc). My professors have been pushing me towards academia but the crushing realization that I am not actually that good (smart/hardworking/motivated) is starting to hit me.

Ambitious Math students at other universities take more rigorous courses (strengthens the mind and "builds character") and have the option to take more advanced courses along with a wider variety of electives (thus they are also more knowledgeable). Also "prestige" is apparently a factor when it comes to getting academic jobs.

You may say I shouldn't be comparing myself to others this way, but the academic job market is competitive, which is depressing because I have always been a person to shy away from competition.

I am starting to get really depressed and haven't even began applying for graduate school even though I am graduating this Fall. I can't get a a pleb job in industry easily because all of my experience has been academic in nature.

I have no idea what I would do if I were to stop not pursuing graduate school / professorship. I know some C++ programming but I honestly hate the idea of making apps for a company and getting no credit for the work that I do.

I feel that I am not "cut out" for academia, but at the same time I am not "stupid enough" for industry (I am talking about entry level BSc and some Master's degree jobs, not industry jobs that require a PhD).

Should I just kill myself now?

Also why not make this a general "Career/Education" thread.
>>
re-read your post. it's full of self loathing. find someone in real life to talk to about it.

you have good grades, and possess some modicum of intelligence, figure out what you want to do with your life, and pursue it

being irrational and calling yourself awful at everything isn't how you enjoy life, it's how you end up killing yourself.

you just said you have shied away from competition your entire life but your entire post compares yourself to others.
>>
prestige of your undergrad program means fuck all in academic job hunts. if you're good enough at math, you might as well apply to grad school. if you get a full funding package (typical for PhD programs that are at a competitive level for producing successful job searchers) then go for it. if not, then you can wallow in self pity when you graduate and find a new direction. it's not like a math BSc isn't gonna give you opportunities in other areas, like a masters program. stop being a self-pitying fuck until you get rejected from grad school.
>>
>>17638295
My post is self loathing because I have turned into a self loathing person. I have no one to talk with this about because most people aren't in a situation similar to this. The reason why I shy away from competition is because I really hate losing, I guess I am going to have to get used to it though.

>>17638309
I honestly have been losing motivation day by day. This might be "impostor syndrome" or something but I actually do feel like I am just fooling people with how "smart" I am. I have taken IQ tests and have seen how good at solving problems students at decent schools are and I am now very well aware of how far behind I am compared to others with similar credentials.

I was scared of math in HS (avoided engineering because I thought it would be difficult) and was originally an environmental science major. At some point I dedicated myself to getting a Math minor for the challenge of it and soon found myself in love with math. Unfortunately I feel that my love is slowly dying and I am becoming more and more stressed out as I feel that I am reaching my limitations. I have even started applying to programming jobs despite knowing that I would most likely hate programming full time.

How do I rekindle my passion for my studies despite the fact that the (economic, social, and mental-health aspects of my) future seem so dim? I was in my prime when I was dumb and didn't care about anything except math, but now I worry way to much about other things (money, having a social life, having a good career, etc).
>>
Math graduate student here. Smart people don't get a PhD, because getting a PhD is stupid. Smart people get a job. You don't need to be smart to get a PhD, you need to persevere through everything. Even stupid people can get a PhD if they stick through it long enough.
>>
>>17638415
only the super-brilliant get math professor jobs. if you get your masters you can teach at CC which is a huge public service believe me because a lot of those guys aren't very smart like you seem to be.

your post struck a chord with me; i've felt for a long time that doing math is the right way forward but it don't have a whole lot of confidence in my ability, or, rather, likelihood of success in academia. every time i enroll in uni something terrible happens and i have to drop/fail out. i dunno do other people have to deal with this shit? i do great at halfassing exams for material i've barely learned which annoys & upsets me.
>>
>>17638490
why are you in grad school tho
>>
>>17638490
Anyone with half a brain knows this post says a lot more about your intelligence than people with PhD's intelligence, regardless of whether you are actually a grad student or not. Which I doubt since anyone in grad school knows that there is no such thing as PhD by effort, many fail to produce significant result, had to drop out and find a job. I have friends who are disillusioned with grad school and they usually acknowledge their shortcomings and move on, instead of thinking everyone more successful than them are stupid.
>>
I am a third year undergrad in physics and I also want to get a PhD. Any advice on how I can prepare for my eventual failure?
>>
OP,

What kind of courses have you taken? Always remember that fellowship programs all around the US accept absolute shitter students from mexico/china/india so you are already ahead of the curve.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.