[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get a job when I have no experience or credentials?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_mo0jcmzYL01qij426o5_1280.jpg (263KB, 900x579px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mo0jcmzYL01qij426o5_1280.jpg
263KB, 900x579px
How do I get a job when I have no experience or credentials? I dropped out of uni due to depression and am getting treatment. I'll eventually get back to studying but I need to do something in the meantime. I don't have a single thing to put on my resume apart from having finished high school. What do I do?
>>
Do ya know any type of skills that you can use online? Like proofreading or programming software or anything like that?
>>
>>17635494
>go to restaurant
>ask to wash dishes
>instant job

Seriously. I've never told anyone ever that they can't wash dishes.
>>
>>17635847
This.
>>17635494
You're going to have to start with the very basics unfortunately. Dish washer, cashier, warehouse worker, etc. I only have a high school diploma and the best entry level job I've gotten was a customer service rep making $13.50 an hour.
>>
Data entry.

If you want to make real money, get a trade
>>
>>17635836
I don't know any programming and while I'm good at writing/proofreading/editing etc. I'm not a native English speaker so regardless of my skills they'll always prefer a native speaker. It's really sad as it's my main skill and even though I'm on par with, if not better than a fair amount of native speakers, no one will take my word for it (nor my certificate).

>>17635859
I've applied to a few places like these. Mail sorting, retail, even McDonalds but none of them hired me. Even entry level things these days require experience, and otherwise they just want to hire 16-year-olds because they're cheaper. I suppose I'll have to keep trying.

>>17635871
I will start another course probably next year. So I can't really invest in anything like that. I'll look into data entry.
>>
>>17635899
Don't kid yourself about entry level places hiring kids over you because they're cheaper, I've hired 30 year olds at minimum wage because they brought nothing to the table. High school kids and kids right out of high school are easier to mold into the business model and are often more consistent because their parents pressure them to do well at their first job rather than college aged guys who show up with no job experience.

Keep looking for base level jobs, retail, food industry, whatever it may be. Don't talk to employers about why you dropped out of uni, don't talk about your depression or treatments, don't talk about medical related stuff. All of this will help an employer push you out the door. If you have certain days or times you need off, be upfront but call it something like "family responsibilities", employers can only ask for more information, but you don't have to offer it up. If they do, just say you have responsibilities helping whoever you live with on said dates and times that vary, but you've dedicated those hours and require them.
>>
>>17635913
That's pretty helpful, actually. Thanks. I mostly just want to move out of my parents' house again because my parents and brother are constantly fighting, yelling and literally breaking the house down. I'll keep looking.
>>
>>17635921
If you live in the US, a business that is ALWAYS looking for employees is the retail side of automotive. Even with no experience, chain lube and repair shops will often hire you within a few days if you can follow simple instructions. A lot of these businesses will have managers in different stores that have wildly different hiring styles, so even if you fail an interview with one, if there's another store for the same business in your radius, you maybe able to apply there and get hired. That bit of advice actually works for a lot of chain businesses, don't assume that because you got turned down at one location the company won't hire you.

As far as retail auto, they usually pay poorly, but you'll gain some knowledge from the ground up, they're often procedural and monotonous which will allow you to focus on studies when you get back into them, and you can use that job experience to move into a dealer or a larger chain to make more money while you study.

A lot of these places also promote fairly often because the retention rates aren't great, so something as simple as getting a good idea of the workplace procedures and staying around without griping about your job all day every day might get you pushed into training for something like that.

This is personal experience, I worked for a national chain shop for 6 years, managed 7 over their stores successfully since my first year in. I just switched over to another company and went back down to an hourly employee so that I can go back to school with the extra time of not managing a shop (I dropped out years before finding this job), and they are matching my salary that I left my last company from at an hourly rate in hopes that I'll take them up on a management position once I'm through their training program for their business model. There are plenty of other businesses that work like this, and the culture of chain/franchises is usually a lot better than corporate stuff like Walmart. Good luck.
>>
>>17635494
Spend a couple of mornings/afternoons a week doing volunteer work. It will ease you into a regular schedule, take you out of your own problems, and is a legitimate credit on a resume.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.