[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't get an entry level engineering job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1436919331157.jpg (37KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
1436919331157.jpg
37KB, 400x386px
>got a B.S. in Engineering Tech degree
>no internship while I was a student
>no engineering experience
>good gpa at least
>got my degree a little under two years ago
>applied to some jobs, but no interviews to show for it, much less a job

I've made some bad decisions here (not getting an internship for starters) which has led me to my current situation where I can't seem to get an entry-level engineering job

I need your advise /adv/

Am I completely fucked? (I'm probably fucked, but I gotta ask.)

What are my options and what's the best one? I don't want to keep on making bad decisions here.

>pic related it's me feeling like shit because I've likely fucked this whole thing up
>>
>>17634851
I don't know shit about this but no one is giving you advice so I feel bad. If I had a degree in a field but could not find a job in it, maybe get a job at a workplace that has a position that would require your degree, but get like the lackey job, like a janitor at the place? idfk. If you show you're a good worker maybe bring up to your boss that you do have a degree and would like a shot at the engineering job. Idk, sorry if I can't help much.
>>
Instead of applying to advetised jobs, have you tried directly approaching companies?
>>
>>17635161
Maybe not janitor but, you get the idea. A lesser position where you could still work to the position you studied for.
>>
Tomorrow I have my final test for my bachelor in electrical engineering. Last year I did an internship and it sucked and I didn't learn anything, this year I did another one and it sucked again, but this time I got a job offer which I declined, because if I stayed at that place I would be worthless in a couple of years. In 2 weeks I'm starting a third one and the fact that I'll be working 6 months for a little over the minimal wage here with a degree with very high gpa, while my friends are going to make 3 or 4 times more.
My advice:
Look for a newly founded unproven company, which is looking for trainees and try to start there. There are quite a few of these in my city, I don't know about yours. It's fall right now so all the big internships for the summer are over and it will be easier to find a shitty internship (you don't want one of these, but you need it). If you've done something related with your study in the past 2 years (even if it is a hobby at home) you can convince somebody that you have some passion for it. In this field it is not important how much time you have been working, but what you know and can, or how good of a foundation you have and how apen are you to learn.
But you have to start somewhere as an intern. Hope this helps, if not ask further.
>>
>>17635166
can't say that I have.

>>17635179
a 'lesser' position is fine if I can work my way up to engineer at some point. but I'm just not sure what those positions are or what the path would be. i am taking a temp to hire production position in a factory right now to keep busy and just hope I am not making a mistake by taking that job while looking for better

>>17635196
I think this advice helps some, but if you have anymore to share, I'd love to see it

also, what did you mean by this?
> because if I stayed at that place I would be worthless in a couple of years
>>
>>17634851
I would go back to your college and see if you can get an internship regardless, usually there pretty cool about re enrollment for specific stuff like that, they just trying to make their money. So if you really feel like the internship is the thing thats holding you back, I would suggest getting an internship. Either go back to your old university and ask around, ask some other universities, or go online and research some internships that you can apply to right now. Like, you already have a degree. You are the prime person they are looking for. Don't give up, you gots this.
>>
>>17634851
Internships are a meme and often illegal. You'll basically be doing bitch work like getting coffee and ordering pens with blue ink. If you're not legitimately learning something about your position or are guaranteed a position after your internship, then it's illegal to not get paid in most states. Anyway, the percentage of people getting jobs with or without an internship is about equal.
>tldr you probably didn't fuck up by not getting an internship

I always thought that if I ever got a BS in mechanical engineering, I would create something that would display my knowledge and skill to set me apart from the other candidates. As a machinist, when I was looking for new jobs, I would sneak out nice-looking but out of tolerance parts and show employers what I made to give them an honest idea of my knowledge/skill. I don't know if it helped, but I tend to land machinist positions pretty easily.
>>
>>17636003
I wouldn't have learned enough things and gained the experience needed to be competitive later on. They wanted to train me for something specific that has very little to do with what I've studied and what I want to work.
>>
>>17636013
>I would go back to your college and see if you can get an internship regardless
I'm doing that much at least, my college has a bulletin board where they post some jobs and a job board I can check out.
>>
File: smug.jpg (102KB, 551x600px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
102KB, 551x600px
>>17634851
>he fell for the STEM meme
m-master race amirite? Good thing you're not some liberal arts cuck with a useless degree, right?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.