[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is having a conspiracy theorist for friend detrimental to your life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: tin foil hat butters.jpg (68KB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
tin foil hat butters.jpg
68KB, 640x359px
I have a friend who is a conspiracy theorist(vaccine hysteria, 9/11 truth, government false flags, all presidents are puppets, Hillary eats babies)

I disagree his methodology a lot, but I agree with his solutions so politically at least I am with him. However, he is extremely needy, all the time. Sometimes I wonder if he gets in the way my potential success in life.

Does being a conspiracy theorist have anything to do with NPD or no? Is the theorizing just nonsense that is separate from personality disorders?
>>
>>17634387
>Is the theorizing just nonsense that is separate from personality disorders?
It's good to be skeptical, and I find some of the "conspiracy" stuff interesting on an entertainment level. But for the most part, the people who take that stuff very seriously and try to "redpill" their friends are dealing with some level of mental illness.
>>
>>17634393
Are any of those mental illnesses related to NPD?
>>
Not NPD specifically, but excessive delusional thinking is a symptom of many other mental illnesses.
>>
>>17634416
I'm not a shrink, and even if I was, I wouldn't presume to diagnose someone I've never met. You shouldn't try to "diagnose" your friends either, it's annoying

But most people who get deeply into conspiracy theories are isolated, with lots of free time, and disconnected enough from reality that they don't need real evidence to become deeply convinced of something. Any number of mental illnesses could lead to these conditions
>>
>>17634427
So who's to say you don't have a mental illness instead of them? What if they are the ones that see clearly and you are the one who is blind? Have you considered this possibility?
>>
>>17634476
As I said before, it's good to be skeptical, and I do kinda take an interest in some "conspiracy theories" at least to hear them out. I just usually need to see concrete evidence before I'll REALLY believe someone. And even then, I wouldn't spend 4 hours blathering about the JFK assassination at my family's Thanksgiving party, because even if I'm right, I don't expect anyone to really care that much. That's where the mental illness comes in
>>
>>17634484
Yeah, I agree with you there too. There's a time and a place.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.