[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can i move to Chicago without having a ton of money? I looked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1870.jpg (169KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1870.jpg
169KB, 660x440px
Can i move to Chicago without having a ton of money? I looked around on Craigslist and it looks like you can get a room for about 500 a month. If you get a job right away couldn't you pretty much not be able to fuck it up at all as long as you got a full time job?
>>
The only way to live in Chicago without lots of money is to live in dangerous slums

I interviewed there for a software job at a trading firm and even literally outside the big buck company building there are tons of black hobos mumbling to themselves. It's a rough area everywhere and I don't personally like it

You have to be rich to maintain a decent level of safety there.
>>
Chicago
Why

-Bostonfag
>>
>>17631568
>If you get a job right away couldn't you pretty much not be able to fuck it up at all as long as you got a full time job?
That is a big fucking if. You should have enough money to support yourself for at least 3 months before moving anywhere without having a job literally waiting for you.
>>
>>17631568
I've loved in Chicago for 9 years. It's not that hard to scrape by. You can find a place with roommates for like around $300, even if it might be shitty. Not too hard to find a job if you're not a total retard. Chicago is a super cheap city compared to most.
>>
>>17631576
That doesn't sound completely true I doubt the only cheap places are in englewood
>>
Can anyone tell me if I can get a job waiting tables or as an administrative assistant and get a cheap place with some roomies?
>>
>>17631580
Boston
Why

-Newyorkfag
>>
>>17631568
I'm 35 and I've lived in Chicago my whole life. If you're cool with roommates, you can find a place and get by with a shitty job, but the problems with Chicago are longer term issues if you don't have money. Theres a decent public transportation system, but all of the train routes lead to increasingly expensive areas in the center, expensive or dangerous areas north, and the kinds of places you shouldn't be if you're white and not relatively street-smart to the west and south. If you want a car, taxes are high and theres a good chance parking spaces are at a premium where you're going to want to live. Sales taxes are high. The entire culture for 20-somethings here revolves around drinking and eating out, neither of which are cheap. We have theater, concerts, and cultural events constantly, but they tend to be expensive as well (I just dropped close to $500 on a pair of tickets to the opera and the seats are good, not great).

If you don't have a marketable skill, its going to be a tough go for you.

Any specific questions? I'll stick around awhile.
>>
>>17631576
I think you might just be afraid of the city. Theres literally nowhere in the loop where you need to be afraid during reasonable hours. The bums are mostly mentally ill or drunks that keep to themselves or beg for change. Yes, there are some really dangerous neighborhoods, but if you do a little research you can live fine in the vast majority of the city.

In general, if you stay north of Belmont or so theres virtually no chance of having a problem unless you're in Wrigley/Woystown at night, the two blocks of Uptown that are still dicey, or in the Jungle.
>>
>>17631657
*Boystown
>>
>>17631652
Would it be good if I just want to live in a city for my twenties and work an easy job. I figure if I work a full time job I'll make about 1100 after taxes and if I pay 500 for rent I still have 600 left over for food transportation savings and able to get once in awhile on the weekend
>>
>>17631662
We already have a ton of transplants doing exactly what you're talking about. That $600 isn't going to go as far as you think and roommate roulette can be hilariously bad. The thing about the "easy job" concept is that, in general, Chicago has two tiers of jobs: professional jobs and shitty service jobs. Theres not a lot in-between. Either you'll be busting your ass waiting tables (with a dozen people waiting to take your place if you fuck up) or you'll be making minimum wage doing something tedious. You need a skill of some sort to make it here. Thats especially true as virtually all of the good neighborhoods close to the city center along the train lines have gentrified to the point of pricing out someone who is making 1100 a month after taxes.

Its not as bad as New York here, but its not cheap. To give you an idea: I recently bought a house so I'm renting out my two bedroom, one bath, 900 square foot condo with no parking in a transitional neighborhood a mile from the train. Its renting for $1400 a month and the only included utility is water. It was on the market for nine days.
>>
>>17631568
My friends tried this and it was literally the worst decision they'd ever made.
>>
As others have said it really depends. If you have some personal dynamism, are intelligent/smart, learn quickly, and make friends easily then there's a good chance that things will work out well for you. There is plenty of free shit you can do - don't listen to the yuppie-in-denial complaining about $500 opera tickets.

You could spend a day biking down Lakeshore with friends and having a picnic. You can walk around everywhere and go on an urban discovery spree, hit up some libraries, find some hipsters who do poetry slams and free comedy shows... etc.

You can skip a car and buy a used bike - if you're into bikes and know what to look for you can find crazy good deals.

If you know how to do an interview you can find a bunch of entry level admin and operations-type jobs. A lot of folks with arts degrees get into processing and operations drudgery at mortgage broker offices and the like - the ones with some drive and dedication start moving up into managerial positions and use the experience/savings/connections to launch into other careers or additional schooling.

The roommate roulette is real. If you know some people living in the city already then you have a much better chance of getting a good start as far as living situations are concerned. If you have your own car already you can try your luck living in the suburbs - a lot of people do that as well.
>>
>>17631685
I'm not them
>>
>>17631713
Do you think maybe I can have a shot without bringing a ton of money? I don't really care about my living situation and I just want to live somewhere where I can get a fresh start, get a job, make some new friends and just get do something
>>
>>17631726
Without living in the suburbs
>>
why chicago pham
i mean chicago is awesome but i wouldn't live there without big money
try madison or milwaukee for chicago lite
>>
>>17631771
I want to live some place for my music and only want to go where people are making it
>>
>>17631774
so many better cities for that with low income
if you think you can do it then go for it, but dont be surprised if you can only afford chiraq and get shot and robbed by jarquan
>>
>>17631785
The only places with my music is NYC, la, Atlanta, Miami, and Chicago
>>
>>17631790
what music is that? rap? cause thats the only relevant music coming from there
>>
>>17631797
No, trap
>>
>>17631817
i would go to atlanta then. less expensive and there's actually a network of musicians getting signed and collaborating, unlike chicago where only chief keef and his friends got big and everyone else is still strugglin and getting killed
>>
>>17631836
A ton of artists from Chicago are getting big and even making a modest living but yeah you're right about them all dying and going to jail. The reason I picked Chicago is because Atlanta is more suburban and Chicago has better transportation and I like more artists from Chicago then I do Atlanta

Chicago
>lil herb
>famous dex
>lil jay
>keef

And Atlanta has

>21 savage
>lil yatchy
>rich the kid
And like one more I don't know
>>
>>17631845
damn you just gonna forget about future, metro boomin, young thug, makonnen, mike will and like a billion others, and theyre all basically trap now
>>
>>17631862
Metro is from St. Louis right? But yeah I forgot future, thug, and Gucci I doubt id even meet them though I was just planning to produce and maybe become a small drop in the ocean of the lower end of music i don't even wanna make it big. Seems like Chicago is all up and comers too and Atlanta is more "oh this guy is magically signed out of nowhere and he's the next thing for 3 months because of these 2 singles"
>>
>>17631878
he moved to atl but do whatever you wanna do, chicago is an objectively better city its just pricey to live comfortable.
>>
>>17631888
Same as everywhere else
>>
>>17631713
>don't listen to the yuppie-in-denial complaining about $500 opera tickets.

I'm not in denial about anything. My wife and I have five degrees between the two of us and we spend money like its going out of style, I'm well aware that I'm a yuppie. I also grew up here and spent a significant portion of my 20s poor. A lot of my friends are still just getting by. Its an expensive city and things can be tough. If what OP is looking for is the big city experience, that comes with a price tag. If he wants to overpay for rent to drink in someone else's apartment and go see a movie in the park a couple of times a year, I suppose thats his business.

As for bikes, not a lot of folks are going to be willing to be year round cyclists in Chicago and you need a certain willingness to take your life into your hands to be a full time cyclist here. I don't know anyone who primarily cycles who hasn't had at least one bad accident here in Chicago.

>>17631771
This man speaks the truth about Madison. Milwaukee is a shithole, though.

>>17631785
Lets be clear here: you aren't going to make it in hip hop in Chicago. You aren't from here, you don't know people, and you probably don't have it in you to make a name for yourself by being a half bright criminal like Young Pappy or a marginally more intelligent but in deep with the kinds of people who's names you keep out of your mouth like Keef.

There isn't a gold mine here, just drug dealers selling beats to suburban white kids until they eventually catch their bullet or head downstate.
>>
>>17631649
New York
Why

-Chicagofag
>>
>>17632513
I want to be like young pappy or on my way downstate or getting a bullet fuck

Going to Chicago and trying is better than just sitting in the country
>>
>>17633297
You say that, but how the fuck are you planning to get in with a gang? Do you know people? Does your auntie have Section 8? Who's your cousin?
>>
>>17633782
Do I really need to join a gang to steal and sell drugs
>>
>>17632627
Well we reached full circle.
>>
>>17633831
Pappy wasn't even really selling drugs, just shooting at Bang Da Hitta over fucking youtube rap videos. Yes, if you want to blow up and make it you're going to need people. Some of them are just going to say your name and link your shit, but some of them are going to be the kinds of folks who can keep people off your ass. That kind of crew, though, requires that you be all in.

What, you think Keef got big because of his skills? He got big because everyone wanted to be around the big, dangerous gangster who keeps going in and out of prison, the guy who has the best women, liquor, and drugs at his party, the guy who's never had a job and has a twenty thousand dollar chain that he claims he got from rapping but everyone knows the money came from corners.

This isn't Alice Cooper playing the bad guy with elaborate set pieces. It isn't even Pac cleaning up once the record company checks come in. Almost nobody is making real money in music these days, especially not off of mix tapes and guest spots. Do the math.
>>
>>17633886
Also, for the record, Pappy is dead. Everybody knows who and why, too. That piece of shit got other people killed with his antics, but eventually someone heavy decided they were done with that garbage.

Thats not trap music, thats a kid with serious mental health problems dying because he couldn't stop getting other people killed over a fantasy.
>>
>>17633899
They all look rich to me man
>>
>>17633899
How did young pappy get people killed? Jesus this is like a soap opera
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.