[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are tattoos still taboo in the work force? I studying to get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1474739222832.jpg (65KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1474739222832.jpg
65KB, 640x640px
are tattoos still taboo in the work force?
I studying to get my engineer degree in computer science and will be in the future working in IT and was wondering if visible tattoos affect my chances at getting a job
>>
They have less impact than they used to, and CS is a field long accustomed to employing weird-looking folks anyway. But they DO still have some impact, and it usually isn't good.

What sort of tattoo do you intend to get? What do you want it to look like?
>>
What do you need to get a tattoo for? You have a reason to want this job, not a reason to want the tattoo.
>>
Why would a computer science major go into i.t?

And yes it does matter because this notion of hipster programmer is not really a reality. Maybe a startup but in a professional environment dress suit and pants while hiding your tats is your best bet.
>>
>>17604773
Depends on the company and generally is contingent on how often you will be working with the public.

I work for a school district as a teacher's assistant and I cover up when the parents come drop off their kids, then I show my tattoos when they leave. However, lots of my teacher colleagues have small tattoos on their arms, wrists, legs, and back and no one ever says anything. And my supervisor told me she doesn't care.

I just personally fear any parent complaining since I'm in a lesser, and much more disposable position.

My dad works as an electrical engineer for alarm systems and he absolutely needs to cover his. Since he works in security, his company policy stresses that no one can suggestively even look slightly like a criminal because they need to appear reliable and trusting when installing people's security systems.
>>
>>17604773

Good rule of thumb is that you shouldn't have a tattoo visible when you're in a t-shirt and pants, or skirt if you're female.

Visible tattoos MAY not hurt in some cases, but definitely don't help (unless you work in a tattoo parlor, obviously).

In IT, it may not be too bad, at least not so bad you need to abandon ship on your studies.
>>
>>17604773
>wondering if visible tattoos affect my chances at getting a job
Yes they do
>>
Depends on the company.

I conduct interviews (2-3 a week) and I don't give a toss about your appearance as long as it's not offensive e.g. 'kill all gays' tattooed on your forehead. So few people are actually good at programming that we can't afford to be too picky about appearance.
>>
File: my tat.jpg (54KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
my tat.jpg
54KB, 720x960px
Tattoos are garbage now. People seem to use them as a replacement for personality, women actually list tattoos as an interest on tinder? You're still a boring cunt, just now with drawings all over you.

Not even against tattoos, I just hate what they seem to have become recently. I'm sure when I was a kid they were badass, now even the biggest loser you can imagine is covered in 'em.
>>
>>17604843

That tattoos is shit. Not even aligned properly.
>>
Tats aren't the same dealbreaker they used to be, but they're still going to limit your chances, especially in entry level gigs. By the time you have some specialization and offer skills others don't have, companies are more willing to be forgiving.
>>
Wear long sleeves to the interview. The question won't even come up, then when you're hired ask about the tattoo policy. I have forearm tats from my time in the military and my work didn't even realize I had them until I changed a shirt in my office
>>
>>17604773
It REALLY depends on your industry, where you live, and what kind of tattoos you're talking about. I have some pretty extensive ink, but I also have a string of letters after my name and I work in a big city. When I know I'm going to be working with particularly conservative clients I'll wear long sleeves for the first few meetings.

Just don't get anything that can't be covered by business wear and commit to overdressing.

>>17604783
I don't know about that. My wife has been a programmer for well over a decade and has worked primarily in corporate environments (large insurance company, IBM) and my experience of her coworkers has always been that even fairly conservative companies give their tech people a lot of latitude. Its not a Hollywood depiction, but the only time she's ever had to go with business formal was when she was giving a presentation to potential clients for a project that was going to run into the mid eight figures.
>>
>>17604773
They are a lot more lenient nowadays just like piercings because they just figured out how retarded they were being by not accepting potentially good employees useful to their business just because of what's on their skin.
>>
>>17604773
>are tattoos still taboo in the work force?
Headhunter here
Yes they will affect your chances of getting a job (assuming they are visible), they are taboo in offices, customer facing jobs and business facing roles.
Consider if the tattoo is visible in what you would wear during summer, or if you can see it through clothing or if you genuinely want the tattoo.
Seriously, think about if you want the tattoo for at least a year, think about if you will like the tattoo in the future, if it actually means something to you (and isn't a visual metaphor) and if it is going to be in the right place.

tl;dr yes they are if you can see them
Even if you work in IT, you are still facing people at every level of the company.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.