[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Called in sick, could be fired?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: berserk.gif (243KB, 440x277px) Image search: [Google]
berserk.gif
243KB, 440x277px
I had a cough for a couple of days, but took a suppressant since I work in an environment with food, so I wouldn't cough on customers things.

I woke up this morning with a deep pain in my shoulders, a low grade fever, and shortness of breath. I vomited and almost passed out in the bathroom, and had waves for fatigue.

I called in to work before 2 hours beforehand. I've been working there for a month. I've not been late (if I was, it was by like 2 minutes due to traffic that made other workers late too). I always stay over my scheduled time to leave to make sure everything gets done and clean. I regularly run and close the store completely by myself and I've not even worked there a month. I'm dependable, flexible.

My boss was off today, so I had to talk to a different manager. He was downright vulgar and hateful to me. I told him I had a doctor's appointment and would bring documentation. He said "you'd better, if that would even work. You're new and we can let you go at any time. "

I went to the doctor and I have pneumonia. Walking pneumonia that got really bad to the point of almost requiring hospitalization. She told me to take an additional 4 days off work, because if I don't rest I could need the hospital. I took a picture of the excuse and diagnosis and sent it to my manager. She will not respond to me, though I know she saw it.

Am I fired? They require you to call every day before your shift even if they are told by you that you will be ill for 3 days. I'm scared to call, which I know is stupid. But the hostility is awful. I'm part of the union, could I report it if they fire me?

>tl;dr sick with pneumonia that could get me hospitalized if I don't recover. Management at work is really mean and hateful to me even though I have the documentation needed, citing that it is because I'm new. Can they fire me? I am part of the union.
>>
File: born to feel.jpg (111KB, 608x800px) Image search: [Google]
born to feel.jpg
111KB, 608x800px
>>17603770
It's shit like this that makes me not even want to work at all, period.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this, anon. It's shitty to possibly lose your job because you have fucking pneumonia.
>>
>>17603847
Thanks for the empathy. Honestly I need to go to a trade school or even become a medical assistant or something through an associates program,

I'm sick of retail and food. All my issues in this field almost always stem from shit management. Any other type of work I've done I've never had issues with my bosses being mean or outright stupid.

Wish I could find a career in writing anything. I used to make money in college (didnt have enough money to finish my degree) by writing certain essays for foreign students. They'd give me cash. Wish I could make legit money writing any drivel from home.
>>
File: yes.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
yes.gif
2MB, 235x240px
>>17603867
I'm about to transfer majoring in Political Science and it just hit me how worthless my degree will be because of how impossible it is to become a real honest politician in my country.

99% of all other jobs (and this includes my shitty field) all consist of corporate politics, bullshit favoritism, and mind-numbing idiocy. It's like there's no escape.

I swear the meaning to growing up is watching your dreams burn away.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1474782540832.jpg (150KB, 1002x1154px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1474782540832.jpg
150KB, 1002x1154px
>>17603887
It is unfortunate that those who'd make the best politicians for the sake of the community are the least likely to get that position.

I hate how society decides you are worthless for not wanting to work in a traditional sense.

Pic kinda related
>>
>>17603887
welcome to life...

also you could be fired and you are, fuck it, it would be a completely shit place to work for anyway. you're better off without that stress and butt fuckery.

that being said, if you're boss has any brain and compassion, he'll just pause your probationary period until you return and resume it then. you've sent in proper documentation and have a legitimate medical problem. most place put people on a 3 month probationary period where they can technically let you go at anytime, your reason being missing im assuming 5+days of work while being a new hire.

sucks being in the food industry, high turn over rate and shitty management because it doesn't take much to run a restaurant if you can manage a schedule and kiss customers asses
>>
>>17603948
I can try to come back sooner than 4 days from now, but I don't want to relapse.

I have been a good employee I thought...never called in before. I don't mean to let people down... Am I a bad employee?
>>
What kind of workplace is this? Sounds like something from a Dickens novel.
>>
>>17603965
lol you want reassurance on 4chan?

you sound young or inexperienced or both. i will give you two sets of advice, as I've worked shitty jobs all my life.
1) take care of yourself, your body and mind come first, especially for a shitty food industry job. do abuse your body, you'll end up with injuries that could have been healed with a few days of rest that will take months to years to heal. this is what's happening now, I ignored pains and pushed through it and now I'm paying for it. I spend 100-300 a week on physio and massage just to get the use of my hands back. I'm 25 and didnt work a hard laboring job. that being said, pneumonia is nothing to take lightly. I've had a few family members die from it and countless others be hospitalized. you should count your stars that you aren't hospitalized and just being put to bed rest. You are doing what's best for YOU by resting and getting better so you can work and live, if it were a common cold this would be a different story. Pneumonia can kick you ass for weeks if it's not taken care of sooner rather than later. You are being a good employee by taking this time to get better so you can continue to work.

cont
>>
>>17604004
2) You are expendable at your job, never forget this. I've worked in small places with 5-10 employees and I've worked in large ones of 500+, everyone in customer service type jobs is expendable. the larger companies more so. That being said, being a good worker never goes unnoticed and generally helps you keep your job. Recently had managers that had been working for our company for 20+years let go because they were being paid too much and they just revamped management to put new blood in for a cheaper under trained price. Always be a good employee if your boss is watching, this helps you move up but don't be stepped on. You're getting paid minimum wage don't overwork unless you're getting something in return. this could a staff meal or brownie points to be used later when you need a favor. People will take advantage of this always.
You are a good employee, you did everything you were supposed to do. It sounds like this place is poorly managed and it suffers because of it. If they're fighting to have people come cover your shifts for a medical emergency or people have to work a little harder; you honestly don't want to be apart of this. Its managements duty to either step in and pick up the slack or have back up plans for when things like this do happen. You have covered all your bases, medical note and 2 hour notice. If they can't see that you're trying it's their loss. Find a better place if you get let go, you'll thank yourself for it later. Also your manager sounds like a dick.
>>
>>17604007
>>17604004
Thanks for the advice and reassurance.

I'm actually 26, I just used to work for a vet for years that suddenly retired after a work injury. My other work experience was campus lab related.

Guess I'm unused to the severity of food industry employment. But once I save enough money and pay off debt I will get some kind of certification for a trade or something.
>>
>>17604020
k i lied 26 also forgot my birthday was yesterday lol.

yes but the food industry is also just mean. get into bartending if you have to stay in it, its better money and less hassle imo.

can you do lab work again? even if the pay is less its much less volatile than the food industry. there's a reason why a high percentage of people working in it are alcoholics or drug users.

can you maybe work in local animal shelters with your experience? less hands on to work around your injury?
>>
>>17604024
Many shelters rely on volunteer employment, but I will try.

My vet was the one who was injured. Kinda pissed he just dropped the practice, but since he was almost 70 I understand.

That is what I mean about getting some kind of certification relating to minor lab work or something. Many require those, which cost money to get. But I don't want to make excuses. If I tough it out for a bit longer here I'll have saved enough money to do so.
>>
>>17604027
oh cant you apply at other vets then? you sound like you have more than enough experience
>>
>>17603770
Even in at will states in the US, you'll be excused and covered as long as you keep in contact daily and have hard documentation, not just pictures. Make sure you keep your originals.

Part of the reason for the hostility in low end industries is that shitheads play stuff up all the time and try to ignore their shifts. If you have solid backing, even if you get fired, you'll be able to get unemployment, which most companies will hate way more than you taking 4-5 days off due to being legitimately sick. Just make sure you keep in touch and keep your direct supervisor in the loop with what's going on.

I'm a GM for a franchised company that owns 17 stores in VA, for reference to my advice.
>>
Sorry to hear about this bullshit you're dealing with, OP. I've been there in the past, with silly fears about getting fired just because I got sick, or wanted to use allotted vacation time, or whatever.

You have documentation of your illness, and a written note from a medical professional not to return to work in FOOD SERVICE. A job where you can get others sick very easily.

Here's the deal... Call in, explain your doctor's note and documentation again, and if you're fired, genuinely take this up with an expert in labor law. It can vary from state to state, but "probationary period" doesn't actually mean "we can demand that you ignore posted workplace safety regulation, and threaten your job for doing so."

Let senior management know of what was said to you by the manager, even if it seems scary to do so. They can't do that shit if you have documentation.
>>
>>17604063

I just posted, but also posting to say this is completely correct, and great advice.
>>
>>17603867
You should try becoming a CNA. It's easy, it's quick, and the US is in dire need of them. Some places will pay you for 32 hours just for working weekends, and you'll have time for school.
>>
>>17603770
This was literally me last year. Just got hired on to a job as a cook and a week later called in sick because I was coughing so hard I was throwing up. Walking pneumonia. My oxygen was severely low. The doctor said that if I had shown up 2-3 days later that she would have admitted me to the hospital. I was out for a week, but they wanted me to rest for 2 weeks.

Fortunately for me, the people I worked with were super understanding. But you MUST have documentation to prove your case if it comes to that. Honestly? Just get a new job if they're really that fucking stupid. You don't have a cold, you have pneumonia.

I would tell your boss what you have and what you went through with the manager. Your boss might see it in a different light. And if he doesn't, you need to get the fuck out of that work environment.
>>
>>17604074
Sounds like someone else picked up management early and wants to lend out some advice. Just supersaiyan.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.