[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Existential Crisis Resolutions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: black-planet-surface-1920.jpg (53KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
black-planet-surface-1920.jpg
53KB, 1920x1080px
So I'm 25 and I've hit a massive bout of existential angst and I'm slowly detaching and giving up on life. I spend all day at work on my phone , avoid / put minimum effort in with my partner and just comfort myself with food/fapping/vidya while not advancing any of my goals and projects.

I'm simultaneously and paradoxically terrified of dying because the concept of an infinity of nothing is plain terrifying to me but miserable of being alive as everything feels ultimately pointless since we all die and eventually the universe just dissolves into heat death . I know this fear is nothing unique but it's gripping me night and day.

I've tried reading philosophy on the subject but it didn't seem to have any satisfactory answers beyond some cute Epicurean plays on words. Nothing I've seen so far resolves the deprivation dilemma. That death is bad as it deprives us of the good of life and I know we're centuries away from science working out immortality if ever at all. So I'm fucked ... We all are.

Yet I still feel shit and guilty from being so selfish as to be harming those around me due to fear if an inevitability we all face and thinking I'm such a special snowflake that I deserve eternal life when so many billions have died toiling for me to even have the infinitely small chance and precious chance of existing at arguably the best time in human history to exist in the first world.
>>
>>17599613
>I'm simultaneously and paradoxically terrified of dying because the concept of an infinity of nothing is plain terrifying to me

but you'll be dead, you won't notice the time passing.
>>
>>17599644
But I can contemplate it now and I don't want it because to me life is better than infinite nothing. I know dead me won't care but dead me isn't a state that conscious me wants to be in.

In fact dead me isn't a state I can comprehend at all consciously which is a terrifying unknown quantity in of itself.

It's like falling asleep to realise you missed your own awesome birthday party , only you never wake up.
>>
>>17599613
I was where you were, but then I had an experience when I stayed at a monastery during a vacation and talked with the abbot for awhile.

Found God, accepted that life is about trying to do/be a bit better than those that came us (a long gradual process, and not some overly-idealistic push for perfection now), realized that physical immortality as we understand it wasn't meant for us mere mortals, and just chilled out.

It's reduced the stress load by a notable margin.
>>
>>17599675
I envy you honestly. I'm an atheist but I do wish I could have some kind of belief in a spiritual form of immortality but unfortunately I've never seen any evidence to convince me of this and feel it's wishful thinking. Those are certainly simple ideals I do want to live by , I just fall into laziness and comfort a lot and unfortunately I'm also a perfectionist and awful at realistic expectations or measurable goals.

Although perhaps your advice for me to disconnect from where I am, go somewhere secluded and contemplate things could be a good idea.
>>
>>17599613
I was in your boat a couple months ago. However, I really thought about it, and read about people who had "died" medically, and were brought back. Just about everything that I read, those people said it was a very peaceful experience. And when I think of immortality, I think of the end of the world occurring. And me being either the only person left, or just floating around space. Both of those situations, I would want to die. I also imagine my time as an old man, most of my friends and family, will be in the same boat if they are not dead already, I would have no one anymore. Not only that, but my physical state will probably be miserable. Dying is an earned rest for all the hard work and effort you put into life.
>>
>>17599613
Why worry about shit you cant control. Try your best in life and then you cant say you went wrong.
>>
>>17599714
I imagine barring an exceptionally painful death like being burned alive slowly it would be a peaceful experience. But I think this is because the body upon death releases a huge amount of chemicals to flood the system . As somebody who is a BDSM practitioner I'm fairly well versed in how the release of these chemicals can create euphoric experiences. So there is some solace that I'll likely be in peace in that moment.

It's kind of selfish of me to think but I don't imagine missing my dead loved ones as a good enough reason to want to die, although I unfortunately do go from attached to detached from people in my personal life.

I can agree that disembodied consciousness is a unique form of hell , part of me still finds it preferable to oblivion but perhaps after the first billion eternities I'd consider differently.

There's a great Stephen King short story called The Jaunt that explores this very idea and it's certainly a terrifying one.

I don't think immortality necessarily has to be this however it could be experiencing life for an eternity in some way but I doubt humans will ever have the technology to make this a possibility and certainly not in my lifetime.
>>
File: 1469091499584.jpg (887KB, 1516x1043px) Image search: [Google]
1469091499584.jpg
887KB, 1516x1043px
>>17599675

Pretty much this. People will find God or a purpose in their own way and come to realize that, while we're notable creatures on this planet, we will all die like all other life. Some unceremoniously, some intentionally and some surrounded by friends with faith of meeting their creator.

I'm not a religious man at all but for me I already realized life was fragile and fleeting when seeing two deaths irl, one being pretty graphic that's still burned into my mind. I found meaning and purpose when I took up meditation and had a very spritiually transformative experience on mescaline. I started to understand what anon here stated, that it's about trying to better things, but the deeds don't even have to be grand and some may go unnoticed. Give yourself or something back to this planet, do not expect fame or thanks and forgive others since sometimes we can get confused, emotional and know no better.

After that experience my mind calmed down a bit although I still do feel the stress of being such a small, mortal creature sometimes. These days I just help others, have reconnected with distant family, friends and just try to make people's lives easier if I can. Death, and possibly a great unknown should you be of one without faith, awaits us all. You cannot do anything about it but attempt to go with dignity and grace should the circumstances allow it.
>>
>>17599732
Well I could ask why worry about anything? Then ask why do anything ?
>>
>>17599613
I'm assuming you like feeling happy, like every other human being ever. Try that.
>>
We come from the Great Nothing and we end up in the Great Nothing. Life is a fleeting moment in between. I'm going through an existential crisis at the moment as well. It seems so easy for most people to find something to be passionate about. Passion creates joy and that joy positively influences other people's lives. If you have something you're passionate about then don't ignore it. If you're not passionate about something, try finding it. Try meeting new friends. Redefine yourself. It's easier said than done and it might take time and courage, but you will be energised just by doing it. Get the ball rolling and just feed the momentum.
>>
>>17599655
dude what the fuck? just calm down. None of it is that deep. Just go live your life
>>
>>17599754
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
>>
>>17599800

No problem. I'd highly recommend meditation. It won't make you figure out things 100% but it'll help you calm down and be able to reflect on life. It has helped me appreciate smaller things in life I usually took for granted.
>>
I'm in the same boat here, OP. The only reason I want to live is because I want to know what happens in the future.
>>
>>17599812
Yeah I know mindfulness when I manage rare moments of obtaining it really puts me in a calm state but I usually only come to it when I push myself in a form of 'cleansing' where I barely eat, sleep a few hours a night on the floor exercise lots everyday and remove all vidya/internet/smartphone/television etc. It unfortunately doesn't last long sustainbly and I've never found a way to grasp it without pushing my body.

I do remember having a frankly surreal moment in this state that I can only describe as being hyper in the present. I could sense and feel and see everything walking down the street just home from work as if it were in slow motion and recall what people were wearing , or talking about, or the cars in the distant from a glance or sound. It was oddly peaceful , the future and past had no concern for me. Again though fleeting and hard to hold onto.
>>
>>17599655
If you feel like this
>life is better than infinite nothing
Then stop doing this
>I'm slowly detaching and giving up on life

Life is rare. Why else do you think we haven't ran into alien life yet? Statistically it's a very very unlikely thing. You were brought into this world, after thousands of years of human evolution. You're alive to witness a very special era for humanity.

Life doesn't have an inherent meaning, and it's up to you to enjoy it for the short blink of time you're alive. You're throwing away the thing most precious to you by dwelling on the inevitable. It's natural and almost essential to have an existential crisis at some point in your life, but do not suffocate yourself with "who what where why how" questions and thoughts. You have to accept life for what it is.

I don't like to view death as an end to life, but rather as a new beginning. I'm not sure what it will be like, or how it will feel, but I don't let that uncertainty bring out feelings of fear or worthlessness. Tomorrow is a new day, I have an idea of what may happen. But that's all I have. I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows what will happen. We'll never know for sure until tomorrow comes and goes. I could go to bed tonight and never wake up, but tomorrow will still be there without me. All I can do is make the best of the present in hopes that it will benefit me tomorrow, and all of the tomorrows I have left to experience.

Enjoy your partner, your friends, your family. Enjoy >food/fapping/vidya. Enjoy nothing and everything. You know it's all temporary, you know there is an air of uncertainty revolving everything in life. So now that you know this, realize the dumbest thing you can do is toss it aside.
>>
>>17599789
I am intensely passionate about lots of things when I'm not in this state but when it hits all my.passion for everything kind of gets swallowed up as it all seems pointless although I think just forcing myself to work on something I know I am passionate about even if I don't feel it might help me out of this funk.
>>
>>17599865
Yes I agree I'm in a logical paradox. If I believe life is good and worth living then that's true irrespective of if I'm going to die or not and I should act accordingly. If I don't think life is good and worth living then I shouldn't fear death in the first place as it would be an end to the thing I don't think is worth doing but of course I don't want that.
>>
>>17599875
You've forced this paradox upon yourself. Really, you are the only one standing in the way of a happy and fulfilling future.
>>
u kno we cud be immortal. Because the only thing that really exist is life and we have an infinite amount of time to live infinite amount of lives in an infinite universe. Even after heat death they say there is the possibility of another universe being created and if there is a possibility in an infinite universe it will almost surly happen. We don't remember our past lives because we are material that keeps being reformed into different things. matter cannot be created nor destroyed so we are infinite.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.