[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game career

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: download (1).jpg (14KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
14KB, 259x194px
I would like any advice even if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

I just started art school for game design and I really like it so far. I plan to go into the character art/ design aspect of the industry. However, I feel like I'm going to become a starving artist once I graduate. To counter this, I realized that the future is in high demand of coders. so do you guys think I should learn coding while I'm in school to give myself more security? Or should I just stick with game design, and just have a bunch of internships so I can almost guarantee a dream job in character art?

Here's my artstation in case you guys were interested: https://swaggernaut64.artstation.com
>>
You should always learn programming, and learn it thoroughly. With that skills you will always at any point be able to find a job without even trying. Having said that, you should still put more focus and effort into what your passion is, because if you work hard enough at anything, you will become successful. Coding should be a backup skill in case the other thing ends up not working out for you.
>>
>>17597104
I hear ya, what language would you recommend?
>>
>>17597092
I haven't googled it, but I think there will always be a high demand for game art. 3d modelers especially.

Full disclosure: I'm a programmer for a living
I don't think you really need to learn how to code if you want to focus on art. I'd switch to a computer graphic design type program if that's available. A game design degree sounds wishy-washy to me, but idk.

I find coding incredibly fun. Every popular language exists for a specific purpose. Personally, I think C++ is the most useful, bestest, language overall. BUT it is a language meant for professionals. It is big and complicated.

Languages like common lisp and java were built to fit a paradigm. I fucking hate java with every bone in my body, but corporate bosses love it. I absolutely love lisp, but it has a very narrow use case.

C/C++ is the best for games. Though I hear games use a lot of scripting languages like Lua.
>>
>>17597177
Yeah that's the reason I wanted to learn coding, to give myself more job security. Do you remember when you read that article?
>>
>>17597221
Well, now I did google it and it appears I may have been wrong. It seems strange to me, I would hate being a graphic artist. But I guess I'm weird. Or it's all outsourced.

I'd look at job postings on monster for where you want to live. That's the best way to get a feel for it.
>>
>>17597221
one last warning before i go to bed: knowing how to code does NOT mean people will throw money at you. having a degree in it means people will throw money at you.

a resume that just says "proficient in C/C++, openLDAP, Swift ..." without experience or education goes to the trash heap.
>>
>>17597092
My school was pretty big for Game Design and Development, RIT.

Basically you need to know everything, and make connections to break into the industry.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.