[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to deal with people bringing up a sore subject.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: RedWizardGuy.gif (2KB, 91x117px)
RedWizardGuy.gif
2KB, 91x117px
I had an argument with a friend today, and he used my speech impediment(I stutter once in a while, but I'm always afraid of speaking now.) as ammunition. I immediately started crying, because my impediment has... let's just say severely affected my relationships with my family and my friends.

Basically, how should I "toughen up" so that these things don't affect me?

Don't know what to put as a picture, so I picked something at random.
>>
>>17596660
Do you mind if I ask your age? I had a couple friends with speech impediments, and I would kick the shit (not really) out of anyone that used that as ammo in an argument.

IMO, be better at argument. If someone's only recourse is to throw that card out, they're absolute shit at argument.
>>
I'm 16. Usually I'm good in arguments, but this one topic always makes me start bawling. I just need advice on how to not lose my shit when people mention something like that.
>>
File: images (6).jpg (20KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images (6).jpg
20KB, 443x332px
>>17596660
>I'm 16

Get the fuck out and come back in 2 years.

Also beat the shit out of whoever makes fun of you
>>
>>17596731
I think that being able to deal with things like that comes with growing older, and becoming more mature. I wouldn't advise "toughening up", necessarily, but you should be more aware of the important things in life. Some teen saying "haha you studder" is not an important thing.

Do you think about the future often? I do. Forward thinking has greatly helped me deal with hardships in the present.
>>
Well, I'll tell you this much OP:

First off, that person isn't a friend anymore and if you have another argument with him, bring up something about him that is just as personal if not even more. An alcoholic parent, a dead relative, obesity, skin colour, something just as stupidly offensive to make fun of so he gets the same feeling and understand why you don't go for personal attacks like that.

Second of all, be more confident in yourself and your stutter. One of the funniest and most confident guys I've ever met has a pretty intense stutter, and he is honestly so funny and charismatic that it almost doesn't matter. He is also a drug addict, so that might have something to do with it, but he's seriously a genuine dude that is always loveable and fun to be around.

You're 16; You're young, impressionable, and still growing up. You'll find that life throws you curveballs all the time, and this asshole is definitely one them. Fuck him, keep being a boss/queen, and just don't give a fuck about people/shit like that. Be at peace knowing that you are a far better human than that subhuman piece of trash.
>>
>>17596731
think of a way to use your speech impediment early in an attack to put it out there and take it off the table so you won't be blind sided. Like purposefully stutter. Having said that I'm not sure I would call that person a friend any longer.
>>
No idea how to quote people on this site, so I'll just respond to each post individually.

I probably should leave and come back when I'm 18, but this is the only site I know of that lets the user post anonymously.

Thinking about the future always ends up going back to how my career options are severely limited due to my stuttering, and therefore my unwillingness to speak. So no, I don't.

I refuse to sink to their level. I have confidence in myself, and I've been told that I'm funny, my issue isn't there. People can insult me in any way, and at most I'll tell them it was rude. But mentioning my speech brings back bad memories.

I've tried using my impediment as a defense mechanism, but it never works.

Thank you all for the advice, I already feel alot better. Remind me to come here more often whenever I need advice.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.