[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have adult ADHD. I wish I had accepted my mental disability

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: makomess.png (116KB, 342x324px) Image search: [Google]
makomess.png
116KB, 342x324px
I have adult ADHD. I wish I had accepted my mental disability sooner. I wish I'd gotten the help I needed. Now I'm almost 30, and I have no idea how to cope with life, because I was arrogant enough to think I could function like a normal person. I'm finally, finally giving up on that.

I thought I could be a graphic designer. I wish someone had discouraged me from following my dreams, and saved me so much pain when I failed. I just can't keep trying anymore. I'm tired of bouncing back. It's hopeless. I'm not a functional adult, and I never will be.

I have a BFA in graphic design, and I work in fucking retail. I don't know how to recover. I lost my youth chasing a stupid dream, but I can still save the rest of my life if I just give up now.

But I don't know what to do. I used to confide in my step-sister for things like this, but she's become a real stranger since she got married last year. Now I face my problems alone, and every day just seems more hopeless. I'm running on fumes here.

I don't know how to get my life on track. My 20s are almost over, and I've gained nothing.
>>
You can't live a easy life if you keep your hands in your pockets and say "I tried"
If you tried and it didn't work just try harder, and if it's not working continue to try harder and harder, don't lose faith until it work, try elsewhere, try differently but don't give up, it's useless
You think you're going to win something by giving up ? That's not how it work, work you ass off, break your back working as a janitor and one day you'll own the building as they say
Your 20s are almost over ? So what ? Life isn't defined by your age or your experience but by your willpower
Stop complaining, act.
>>
>>17595817
>You think you're going to win something by giving up ?
No, I need to cut my losses and find a new path. I was delusional, thinking I could be the artist I wanted. It's time to find something else and salvage what's left of my future.
>>
>>17595790
Maybe get a new diploma? If it helps you?
>>
>>17595918
I don't think digging myself deeper would help, no. I think I need to get the fuck out of here and start a new life.
>>
Michael Jordan didn't make it onto his highschool basketball team. Look at him now.

If you still want to be a graphic designer above everything else, don't give up on your dream anon. I have ADHD too. I believe in you.
>>
>>17596182
That's nice of you. But I'm 27, way too old to be trying so hard and still failing.
>>
>>17596727
27 isn't old.
>>
look up executive function and how it relates to ADD
really helped me just understanding my disorder

also, seriously, get on the meds
either Stratera or Ritalin/Adderall/other stims
they really do work really well
>>
>>17597037
again, let me reiterate
GET ON THE MEDS
ADD meds have some of the best therapeutic results of any mental illness
when I was still on em (and when I take Adderall I buy from people who still have scrips) it was like flipping a switch
suddenly I could concentrate and give a damn
>>
>>17596727

>That's nice of you. But I'm 27, way too old to be trying so hard and still failing.

Fucking, you realise that most of the world is people fucking up shit way into their 40s? Don't be so fucking rude to other people, 27 is very young, you never know what's around the corner, and you have every right to pursue your dreams and nothing is stopping you.

The only limit is your mind. Yes, it sucks that you couldn't get that support before, but you have MANY good things.
>>
File: saveme.png (694KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
saveme.png
694KB, 1280x720px
>>17597037
I'll look into it, thanks.

The downside of the meds is that they gave me manic highs. I don't like the idea that I can only be functioning at 100% or 0%, depending on whether I'm medicated.

>>17597052
I didn't mean to be rude. Sorry if I offended.
>>
>>17595817
>break your back working as a janitor and one day you'll own the building
No, it doesn't work like that lmao
>>
>>17595817
Stop dressing the pig in a tuxedo and forcing it to do playback. It's fake and upsetting everyone. The pig is just a simple pig, eating and doing its business as a pig, stop trying to make grow him wings. That shit won't fly.
>>
>>17595790
OP, get on medication.
My boyfriend is 32 and has ADHD. He's on Adderall.
By far the best person I know. Extremely successful in his job and pretty fucking happy, too.
Don't give up on your dreams. Having a disability isn't the end of the world.
>>
>>17597416
>>17597052
That anon is right. 27 is way younger than you're giving credit.

A guy a few doors down from me who had worked computers all his life, bloody hated it but couldn't resolve to quit until mid-40's because it was his skill set.

Now he makes picture frames for a living, and he couldn't be happier.

The point is, you only need a small fraction of your life to make a change you want to see, and you'll get a much bigger payoff than people like him. And if they can be happy, so can you.
>>
>>17598429
I know. It's just that, between age 22 and 27, I feel like I aged about a hundred years.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.