[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why live?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: Greek_philosopher_busts.jpg (294KB, 920x360px) Image search: [Google]
Greek_philosopher_busts.jpg
294KB, 920x360px
I want help finding the "why" in my life. The "why" that would help me achieve great things.

What is your "why"? Why do you do strive for what you strive for? Whether it's exercise, finances, and relationships, I want to know your beliefs and reasoning.

Please avoid any religious debate.
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 504x504px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 504x504px
>>17594077
Lol, I only live because I hope I eventually find an actual reason. Every year it gets harder to wake up in the morning
>>
>>17594077

i like sunsets. and peeing in the shower. and going for walks. and laughing at stupid stuff. i like listening to a song so many times i no longer like it. i like binge watching a show if its REALLY good. i like to play dodgeball, or go slack lining or just be naked in public. if im bored, i like to think of something new to fill the time.

if i couldnt find meaning in my life, which is definitely not the case, cuz i kinda came pre packaged fulfillment wise, i would still look forward to just getting a hug from my boss, or hearing my friend make a really stupid 'your mom' joke for the billionth time.

you dont need a BIG reason to live, you can just have a couple tiny ones.

is the day really that much suffering if you ahve time to come home and shit post at the end of the day?
>>
>>17594087
My reason for posting was that I'm depressed/anxious. I did some introspection on an online CBT course, and it led me to believe that my anxiety might be caused by the fact that I don't know why I'm doing things. This might also cause my depression, because the reward system is fucked up. Video games work as a temporary fix, because I can subscribe to their value systems (level up, get more cash/stuff). But this isn't the same in life. There's no obvious thing that's expected.

>>17594101
>i like to think of something new to fill the time.
How do you decide/find if something's worth it?

>you dont need a BIG reason to live, you can just have a couple tiny ones.
How do you know which tiny ones?
>>
>>17594122

>how do you decide / find if something's worth it?

usually its something i have some minor interest in finding out more about. so i research or just go try it. its how you feel trying to that lets you know if its any fun. theres no reason not to try, cuz its during a time where i dont have a lot going on (like right now when im between projects).

>how do you know which tiny ones?

its literally abotu what makes you happy. if you enjoyed something in almost every day, then why kill yourself? i dont mean to downplay your sadness, but i think you enjoy things more than you think, you just dont take the time to savor them. and sometimes it can be hard to remember to do that.

but you are (presumably) at a point in your life where oyu can choose what to eat. sometimes teh best part of your day is knowing you're coming home to some delicious fried chicken. or chinese food, or a steak with mashed potatos. or even enjoying a big mac because you know you shouldn't, but fuck it who cares.

im admittedly a little too happy. i get excited if it looks like it might rain, or if i had a nice conversation on the bus, or hell even if some of the clouds look nice. i get happy just sharing an uber pool with someone who has an interesting accent or a nice tattoo. for me life is just doing what oyu have to do, working towrds what you want to do, and distracting yourself with whats immediately enjoyable in the process.

riding the bus isnt fun but if you just have a nice conversation with someone, cool. even better if they're cute. and if you manage to get their number, wow. but it doesn't need to go that far. sometimes just talking to someone cute is all you need.

if it makes you happy even just a tiny bit, if its somethign enjoyable, then its a reason not to kill yourself tonight cuz you could do something similar tomorrow. and theres ALWAYS a sunset, and im for some reason very retardedly fascinated by those.

what do you want to do tomorrow?
>>
>>17594122

oh, and having a beer in the shower. i LOVE haaving a beeri n the shower. on the worst of days it makes it feel liek the best day ever, cuz its like... yeah it was rough, but you clearly won, and now you get to enjoy your victory. and its warm and all the stress washes away.

its like winning a game or finishing a script or something. its just a really simple way to reward yourself.
>>
>>17594077
>i live for those dubs XDDDD

i have no reason to live,but have no reason to die so i just stick with what i know.
>>
>>17594077
>What is your "why"?
I want to be proved right . I succeed more than I fail and want to keep it going. I make smarter decisions and seem to "move up" in life more than my peers.

People seem to like me and listen to my advice and I'm right more often than I'm wrong. I like that.
>>
I haven't really found my "why". What keeps me moving is constant progress that I know that will be useful whenever I do find it. I think I want to have a family at some point, but I'm still not entirely sure. Regardless, being healthy and educated with a stable career will always be beneficial.
>>
My only why is that too many people would be devastated if I offed myself.
>>
>>17594077
I think trying to figure out the "why" is kind of the whole point for some people, myself included.

Like, it's easy to look at people who seem to have their shit together and know what they're striving for, and probably never even think about the "why" question, and be envious. But I don't think I would actually be happy/satisfied living like that. Maybe you're the same way. Like, if I convinced myself that I really LIVE for career X, or goal Y, or whatever... I'd just eventually poke holes in it and get hung up on the ways X and Y are kind of bullshit, and why am I not doing career Z and goal W, and oh my god a third of my life has passed me by and I'm not doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

Maybe knowing "why" means complacency and boringness. Trying to figure out "why" is the whole challenge.

At a more micro level I can usually get motivation from the idea of progress or self-improvement. Getting better at something, whether it's a skill, a hobby, my role in a relationship, whatever... that's easy-ish to get my head around. But turning any one of those things into the big "why" that defines your purpose in life? No clue how people do that.
>>
>>17594122
There will never be some magical cure for feeling like this. Having someone to vent these feelings to are important to dealing with them. You have to attempt to manage the feelings because you will never rid yourself of them. Learn to laugh at the absurdity of how pointless life is, if not only for the psychological comfort, instead of feeling the soul-crushing weight of pointlessness. It's unfortunate we are subject to our own cognition/psychology.
>>
>>17594077
to have fun
>>
>>17594077
The why? Honestly, just recognize your consciousness is a series of chemical reactions which equate to a fucking mess. We spend our lives trying to get our next high, we associate "success" with a chemical reward in our brains which we call happiness, happiness is a lie. Our brains release chemicals to make us feel sad when we are doing something wrong, be it we are not eating right, were not socializing enough etc. Because back thousands of years ago, neglecting one of those factors could have led to death. So essentially, our brains only care about survival and reproduction, were no different from other animals, were not sentient beings at all. Freewill barely exists. which is why I meditate. Meditation is one of the only ways to provide agency over oneself. Meditation and believing that only you can alter and affect your mental state. That you let yourself be sad, only under extreme circumstances can someone else be at fault for your sadness.

The why for existence is a meaningless question. Mankind will never be able to comprehend existence in a meaningful way. Our perceptions are skewered, altered so we can understand them as baser concepts.

Considering of all that, knowing that I will never find my "Why?", I can peacefully put all that at the back of my mind. I constantly strive for self improvement. I lift, I read, I learn. I aim to be the best version of myself. I try to set goals, objectives to aim for because we only experience this life once, even though I will never know the "Why?" at least I can say my opportunity wasn't wasted. I ride out the highs and try to eliminate or at least alleviate the lows.
>>
Itt: I'm alive because youtube and vidya makes me happy.
>>
I'm in the same boat, op. Sometimes there are little things that are "nice" but it's not enough. Feels pretty lame to live for rare fleeting moments of 'nice" and then you die and none of it mattered after all.
>>
File: 1466835342470.jpg (270KB, 800x1199px) Image search: [Google]
1466835342470.jpg
270KB, 800x1199px
>>17596620
there aren't enough katana images on the internet to truly give a proper response to this
>>
>>17594183
>>17594101
these made me feel.
>>
>>17594077
Hi OP, i'm a new person in this thread. I used to be depressed/anxious and now I'm a well adjusted adult who has sex occasionally and pursues money and such.

My problem was a ton of little things. I didn't have the life experiences to deal with emotions and situations. Buddhist-style observing thought patterns and finding more "wholesome" substitutes was helpful (it's very similar to what therapists do, not much religion involved). But so did this one experience where I was yelling captain beefheart lyrics on the highway after coming down from acid, and going to bars and becoming well adjusted. Just generally going out, practicing, learning. Always try to think "what's the skillful thing here? what's the pragmatic response to this?"

As for my reasons to live, well, I have grandiose ambitions bouncing around in the back of my head. I regularly work hard on productive projects that I enjoy, and I hope that one day I'll get rich off one. If not, if I just continue my career until I'm 40 and retire (no way in hell I'm having kids) then I'll invent mixed drinks on the beach for the rest of my life and things will be just fine.

Now someone answer my damn question about sleeping posture.
>>17596817
>>
>>17596889
Well meme'd my friend
>>
>>17594077

My reason to live is not a matter of "why", it is a matter of "for whom", idk… some time ago I was on the same situation, I had no reason to live, I was depressed... but everyone thought I was happy living my life... but the reality was that every night I was thinking methods o committing suicide without anyone noticing why I did that or ways that seemed like an accident. But one day I met a girl, more depressed, and with less willing to live, and then I realized with her help, that everyone has that in their mind, a reason to not to live (I had a relationship with her for 6 months before she lost her mind and broke up with me, she’s still alive).
But with her help, I started to think that I had friends, a good family (in rare occasions), and that there was people that care of me... so try to think outside your problems, try to think and see the point of view of other persons, the ones that matters, not the assholes that make your life miserable, the ones that put a smile in your face, and if you think that there isn’t that kind of people in your life, think again, they are always there, watch more closely and you will find them.
Maybe it is my reason to live, and other people has another one, but if this does not work, try to find that reason, a hobby, a career, a person, even a song works for some ones (this girl was alive thanks to the music, it was the only thing that mattered in her life). But maybe today, maybe tomorrow, you’ll find that reason, so stay strong bro/sis, and don’t give up.
Sorry of my orthography, English isn’t my natal language :)
>>
>>17596889
Deep question warrants a deep response? No?
>>
Honestly, OP, I just try to zone out in life. I make goals for fitness, finances, hobbies, vacations, education etc and fill my days with mind numbing steps towards achieving those goals. I make sure to exert myself physically and mentally so that I can be tired enough to quickly fall asleep and stay asleep restfully for the maximum amount of time.

Since I am pretty good at setting achievable goals in reasonable time frames, I tend to reach them as expected like with my education and vacation stuff. Some goals like 5k time or bench press can be re-evaluated when met obviously. I still do spontaneous things once in a while and sometimes pick up relatively expensive hobbies on a whim, but I regret those more often than not.

Was I happy when I graduated university? When I was able to start my own business? When I reached my savings goal? Not really. I just thought... what next? I wasn't even relieved. I just felt like I leveled up but shit was about to get way harder for no increase in "satisfaction."

Maybe I will be happy right after hitting a PR or seeing how much time I shaved off my mile. I also like my dogs and my parents. Otherwise, I don't really like anything. I don't see a point other than to not make my parents sad, I guess. I try to make life easier on myself by having more money, being healthier, being tired blah blah blah

Tl;dr I strive for things to distract me from how much I hate living. Also, I order a lot of little things off of ebay like cute hair clips and have to wait 4-6 weeks for them to arrive.
>>
>>17597042
Your mistake was thinking that long, rambling, nonsensical, inconsistent and dull response was deep in any way. And before you respond in a big huff about how wrong my assessment was, know that, as evidenced by your own idiotic post, your opinion means so very little to me that you could slap any random assortment of keys and it would mean absolutely nothing to me.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.