[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

JOB ADVICE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
Tomorrow I am going in for a job interview with UPS to be a package handler. The work is 3.5-4 hours a day Mon-Fri which sounds great since I'm not depending on the job to live. Have you or anyone you know ever worked this job? How was it? Any /adv/ for my first few days if I get it?
>>
You stand at belts and sort packages. Depending on your location population wise you could either be slammed or could be normal paced. All in all not to bad just dont get flustered a couple years down the road you could be offered to be a driver. Id take it the pay raise is massive and you can retire off it.
>>
File: 1472881825045.png (40KB, 362x362px) Image search: [Google]
1472881825045.png
40KB, 362x362px
>>17593691
I had a job interview there just two weeks ago

The interview is SUPER easy. They basically ask if you can life 70 pounds, what you currently do, and if you are available M-F for pre or PM unload. They only care about your hours of availability. They will give you a tour of the facility and give you a mini-training session. You're almost guaranteed a job.

I decided to work at Publix instead, but I did get accepted for the job. From what I know, it's very hard work. You lift boxes with no A/C and just a 10 min break. The boxes don't stop and you need to work at a certain pace. You will sweat a lot and you could majorly fuck up your back if you don't use the proper form, which they teach you.

But it's a great first time job. No dealing with customers or annoying co workers. Just you and some boxes. You will work with a Scanner guy, who will help you with irregulars and 100 lb+ things. Benefits are great, but you need to work there for 1 year to get them The job also has room for advancement since it runs off a union. Work as a handler for a while, and you can go into management or become a driver, who make like 85k

In my area, you take home 170-200 per week. On some days (holiday season), you will work OT. On some days, they won't even need you and you can go home.

As I said, decided not to work there since I can work longer hours at Publix in an A/C environment, but AMA if you want
>>
>>17593728
Im just afraid I'll fuck it all up and get screamed at lmao
>>
>>17593760
I thought about working at a grocery store or something but my area is filled with an unnatural amount of stupid people (semi-rural south) so I REALLY didn't want to work with customers. How large is the area where you applied and how busy was it from what you could tell?
>>
>>17593768
>How large is the area where you applied and how busy was it from what you could tell?

I went for the orientation at 6 AM, during pre-load. If you're wondering. I went to the Alt springs warehouse.

When I went, the warehouse is filled with UPS trucks. Lots. And it's a big facility. I only saw a portion of it. It's actually kind of cool. Preloaders work with three trucks, and I think unloaders work with one . You keep a certain pace and the boxes don't stop. Somewhat load too. Belts, people yelling numbers, honking, etc. Keep in mind this was at 6 AM

And it's hot as shit. I imagine it would be hell in the summer.

The Publix I'm with isn't crazy, in a rich area and it is kinda busy. I'm a bagger right now. First job. I get paid less, but work longer hours, so I make more in the long run I think

UPS = 10.15/hour with raises every year
Publix = 8.50/hr

You can become a driver helper at UPS. Or you can advance to driver after several yrs and make like ~80k annually
>>
>>17593804
Did they give you the tour the same day that you went in for the interview?
>>
>>17593832
Yep.

1. Guy talks about job. He might give you a paper about the job. He'll talk about pay, requirements, etc

2. He'll give you a tour. He'll tell you what loaders do and how they do it. You stand near the belts and look in trucks.

3. You go back to the orientation room right after and people get called one-by-one for an interview. My group had like 15 people. I got there first, so I was interviewed first. Interview is easy as fuck.

Then you get called back like a week or two later. They can be busy, so it takes a bit to process. I didn't get a call back until like 10 days after, but I already decided on Publix for dat A/C and qt co-workers
>>
>>17593765
The job is pretty easy as long as you have got two eyes and two arms its a cake walk. Its a graveyard shift right? 3am-7am thats the only hard thing about it but if you are a night owl or severely addicted to caffeine then you should have no problem at all. The only time you would get yelled at is if the belt gets backed up and shit starts tum lumbling but thats highly unlikely you will be fine op.
>>
>>17593850
Just nervous about fucking up with numbers and small writing and shit, not necessarily the heavy load bit.

>>17593848
Doesn't sound too bad. Do you remember any questions he asked you specifically?
>>
>>17593768
>semi rural south

Where are you senpai?
>>
>>17593918
>Do you remember any questions he asked you specifically?

Can you lift you 70 pounds?
Can you work here for one year?
Do you live nearby?
Are you available M-F? What's your schedule?
What do you currently do?
Do you work out? Play sports?

As I said, super easy questions. No questions like "Tell me about yourself" or "what are your weaknesses?" most likely. Just straightforward questions

The interview isn't actually the screening process though. It's the job itself. Not everyone can handle the job, which is why the turnover rate is so high. Management uses the job itself as a filter.
>>
>>17593929
40 minutes outside of Athens

>>17593935
Interview doesn't sound too bad but hopefully I'll get something better soon. Thanks for the help.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.