[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophical depression

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: Unknown.jpg (6KB, 265x190px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
6KB, 265x190px
It's happened /adv/ I can't deal with this crisis, tearing my mind apart.

It's a depression caused by a philosophical realisation I came to about the world. For a long time I was an existentialist, I felt the world had no meaning, no loving creator, no reason.

I never had an existential crisis per se, because I always felt that there was a slim chance of meaning existing in the universe, and that through creating an idealised self I could have something to strive toward.

However, I realised that this didn't solve my problem. I felt completely and utterly scrupulous at all times, with this idealised self hanging over me, knowing I could never hope to live up to it's standards of morale behaviour, self-love and good attitude. I felt bad that there was no way I could live up to it.

Then it hit me, the depression of the world exists on both sides. Either you face the sad situation of knowing nothing you do is meaningful and are depressed, or you invent a purpose and reason to exist be it God, an idealised self etc, and realise that there is no way you can live up to that purpose or the standards it then sets on your life.

There is no escape from the bitter depression of the self. Either you languish with no purpose, or drown in the angst caused by not living to your purpose.

It's impossible, help /adv/
>>
>>17592944
lol you read too much Freud. of course, religion is just a form of fleeing from pain, humans are just parasites driven by their pusrsuit of love or similiar luck, culture is a constitution that doesn't support individual freedom... what now? you wanna kill yourself? Face it, you are just an animal that has desires. But as an intelligent being you have the privilege to create morals and meaning to something, you don't even have to become a crazy fanatic. Most people find their luck in relationships or work they like to do. Why don't you try it?
>>
>>17592944
yeah it's pretty Absurd isn't it

(read the myth of sisyphus dork)
>>
>>17592944
Religion helps.
>>
>>17592944

is this how you one up all the other 'woe is me im sad for no reason' derpressed fags? say its philisophical so you sound deep and smart.
>>
File: LOS76anim01.gif (1MB, 450x263px) Image search: [Google]
LOS76anim01.gif
1MB, 450x263px
>>17592985

>a fellow Sisyphus-fag

my nigger
>>
>>17592944
You're being dramatic. It's about the journey towards the goal rather than actually achieving it anyway, kind of like a carrot on a stick. Nobody ever reaches perfection, but it's something to shoot for, and it's something that'll keep your mind occupied.

You can either drown in this or learn to distract yourself from it. Because frankly, you're probably right, there is no afterlife or intrinsic meaning to life. It's depressing, but in the interest of not being miserable while you're stuck here, go ahead and focus on attaining something. We're biological creatures, and our species especially is goal-oriented. Our brains get a lot of groovy chemicals when we set a goal and achieve it. So, do that in baby steps, on your road to your idealized self.

It's better than thinking about it, because you'll never know, and nothing I've read has ever made me feel much better.
>>
>>17593248
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6OrCXP6BIE
>>
>>17592944
>>17592944

>I was existentialist, I felt the world had no meaning, no loving creator, no reason

you sound like a pseud desu senpai

read camus and go see a therapist, often this kind of depression is a way of covering up other issues/absurdities you feel exist in your life

you could always read up on that continental philosophy

good luck senpai
>>
>>17592944
Holy shit thats gay lmao
>>
OP i've got some good news for you and everybody in the thread here. If you've seen this story before don't be surprised, i've posted it before.

It was the day my little dog died. She had a big comfy chair she used to sit in for hours all the time in the house. After I was done burying her I went back inside and looked over at the chair.
For a good 6 seconds I couldn't believe my eyes. She was there, sitting in the chair, in her spirit form. There was this snow pure white light that she was made of and you could see every detail of her fur on her and everything. It was amazing. Then she faded away.

This happened in the middle of the day. I have no psychiatric conditions that cause hallucinations. I don't do drugs of any kind. No explanation for this whatsoever.

Now am I applying my own religious ideas to try and describe what this was? Did I discover something completely unrelated to the afterlife? Maybe. But I don't know. It definitely was my dog made of light sitting in the chair. If that doesn't scream spirit or afterlife I don't know what does.
>>
>>17593282
aww, don't give us hope. how cruel.
>>
I think Wittgenstein or some faggot like him said, 'A person with a meaningful life will never ask the question 'Do I have a meaningful life?'
>>
>>17593282
But that is absurd? That there is a whole "behind the curtain" backstage to life meant simply to retain in some holographic sense the physical properties of your dog so that you in your own holographic projection can enjoy each other as you did on stage for eternity in some afterlife? A bit to homo-centric for me to believe.
>>
File: IMG_20160921_075536592.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160921_075536592.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
Everything is nothing. Friend showed me this
Nihilism is the only answer
>>
>>17593358

this looks like some weak-ass mathematics

0/analytic philosophy
>>
>>17593366
Didn't say my friend was smart.
>>
If you think that nothing you do is meaningful then you are utterly and completely stupid.
>>
>>17593350
Yeah, like what's the point of living to die and live again as a spirit? It still doesn't answer anything.
>>
>>17593389
You're an idiot
>>
>>17593389
We might have a direct impact on the lives of others or even the earth, but if there is no intrinsic meaning to the universe, then there's nothing meaningful we can do :o)
>>
>>17592944
You're right OP life has no meaning so the only thing to do is to create your own meaning, if you spend all your time moping about then theres only two things you can do.
#1 - Kill yourself, if you are depressed and feel no meaning in life then just end it.
#2 - Try and be happy with your friends/family/whoever, happiness is literally the only reason to keep living and once the fun ends whats the points in living
>>
There is only meaning if you invent it, this troubled me for a while, it is a big deal, and I know you've already considered this because it's obvious... don't think about it, you have nothing to gain but sadness, happy is good right? That's pretty simple, enjoy ignorance and find a way to be happy
>>
>>17593457
this guy is right, just do whatever you want and disregard the opinions of others, they dont matter as long as you remain happy
>>
I always thought "sink" was the only verb that should be associated with depression.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.