[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/adv/ I need help. I have been estranged from my father since

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1463961295997.jpg (82KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1463961295997.jpg
82KB, 500x750px
/adv/ I need help.

I have been estranged from my father since I was two, I haven't spoken to him since and I have no memories of him.

I recently turned 18 and my mother asked for my inheritance (>10k).

He sent a letter saying he would like to give me the money face to face and that he wants contact information so that we could schedule time and place.

I have two options, meet him and get the money or get a lawyer to force him to hand the money over.

On one hand I don't want to see him, on the other I want to see him and maybe see if he has a heart, on my third hand I want to meet him just to insult him to his face, calling him a piece of shit and that I would spit on his grave (not really a final draft, but you get the idea).

My friend (who was in similar situation) wants me to meet him just so I could insult him.

Thoughts?
>>
>inheritance
You don't have a right to an inheritance if the person is still alive
>>
>>17590684
you fucking monkey he is the beneficiary of inheritance I am owed from someone who has died. Come on...
>>
>>17590696
That's not how wills and succession work, buddy. If you were entitled to the money, YOU'D be the beneficiary
>>
File: 8766787.jpg (286KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
8766787.jpg
286KB, 1000x1500px
>>17590700
https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/child-heirs-bequeathing-to-minors

"Generally, minor children can inherit under a will or a living trust; however as minors, they cannot legally manage the inheritance. Property guardians or trustees handle the property for them until they reach the age of majority, when they are legally responsible for their actions as adults and can take over the management of their inheritance. "
>>
>>17590717
That doesn't change anything based on what you've said, if he's the beneficiary, then it's his money, not yours. Are you saying he's a trustee, not a beneficiary?

And if he is, I'm not sure if you've just selectively read that link
>Property guardians or trustees handle the property for them until they reach the age of majority
Depending on where you live, the age of majority is not 18, but older

>Even after a child reaches the age of majority, benefactors may wish to delay inheritance until the child is older. This can be especially useful if the inheritance includes a large sum of money or real property that must be overseen and maintained.
More than $10k is a large sum of money
>>
>>17590679
Meet the nigga and be civil. Staying mad is only going to hurt you. Why not forgive him and help both of you?
>>
>>17590679
He's a stranger right? Then don't meet him. Don't waste money on a lawyer either. If he's holding money in trust for you, you can get it whenever the law there says you can or the specifics of the will. Filing for it through a court wouldn't be overly difficult to do yourself.

Anyway it's not about the money. You are asking if you should meet someone you don't know. I say no based on that and on the obvious emotional weight you've given to him despite not knowing him (spitting on a grave isn't exactly stoic).
>>
File: file.gif (801KB, 540x764px) Image search: [Google]
file.gif
801KB, 540x764px
>>17590729
Yeah sorry he is a trustee. I'm kind of tilted right now, and a bit distraught.

And from what I understand the will was made in NJ, and from what I've seen so far the age of majority is 18.
>>
>>17590741
This. Solve this like an adult.
>>
>>17590679
>on my third hand

i think you have bigger problems than daddy issues
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.