[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Previous work experience on resume

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: job-interview.jpg (20KB, 292x219px) Image search: [Google]
job-interview.jpg
20KB, 292x219px
Hey /adv/ I have a question regarding the work experience that I should list on my resume.
ASL: 20/M/Australia
I was a bit of a high school drop out – I graduated, but with pretty bad grades. So, I’ve been to college and I’m about to graduate in a month from now with a diploma in laboratory science – and there is this employer who has just come to my campus asking all soon to be graduates in my course who are looking for a job to submit their resume, but my problem is that my previous work experience is pretty shitty.

I know that they are looking for people with prerequisite knowledge and skills to work in a laboratory, so I’m fine there, but in the four years since I graduated high school, my work experience has been pretty shaky, with the most stable and recent job I’ve had being 10 months – but I ended up getting sacked because someone was stealing money for the register and I got blamed for it.

So what do I do? Do I list my shaky history with no very good references? Do I scrap all of it and just say I was a recluse at home after high school until I went to college? What do /adv/?
>>
Employers don't care very much about your crappy minimum wage college jobs. If you feel really worried about it, tell them you worked for some local company for a few years and got laid off when it went out of business. If you want, you can give them one of your friends' phone numbers and tell them that he used to manage the place.
>>
>>17590245
You're still young, include relevant work experience from earliest last year high school
Stuff like working at a fastfood restaurant you developed good skills dealing with customers as well as team work and professionalism, working a warehouse job you develop you learned organizational skills
You just need to make it sound like you developed skills from these positions
>>
>>17590264
Well, I've never lied on my resume, and I always got in to an interview with a full transcript. Funnily enough, for every interview I've ever sat, I've never had to have a call back because I was always hired on the spot - and I guess they appreciate the transparency of my history.
^ The only problem with this is that I usually get laid off after 4-5 months for some BS reason, usually staff cut backs - which is understandable but makes my resume have lots of potholes in it.

Yeah, it was mostly the reference part I was worried about. I'll do that, I mean, it's really my only choice. Ty anon
>>
Me again>>17590278

I'm applying to law school and for applications I need to include all work experience and volunteer activity since my last year of high school

Tailor it to the job you're applying for but shitty jobs can still give good experience
>>
>>17590284
Well, I've actually had work experience in the past working for a hematology lab with 2 weeks experience, so I'll put that at the top of the list, even though it was 2 years ago.

Ty too, second anon
>>
If you have lab experience then list just that. If you need to fill space add an introduction section.

Mine goes like this:
Header (name, contact details)
Employment (2 internships)
Education (degrees, notable projects, relevant modules)
Technical skills
Additional experience (non-work positions)

Swap things around and fit one page neatly.
Sometimes for research jobs I swap the skills for a related published paper.
>>
>Graduating from college in a month
>No internships, co-ops, or relevant work experience

You're fucked. What were you even doing for the last 4 years?
>>
>>17590333
Don't know how it works where you are but in Aus you go to college, get a diploma, then do interns / probationary period - and if they like you they keep you after your intern period
>>
>>17590374
It's pretty typical in America to spend AT LEAST your senior year interning or doing field work related to your major / career path. Often your first paying job after graduating is working for the same people you interned with. You're going to college to prepare a career for yourself, not just get a piece of paper that says you took classes there for four years.
>>
>>17590245
You can put down one of your course teachers or a placement supervisor as an academic reference for your resume, especially if you did a placement at a hospital. Also if you're on good terms with anyone who you directly reported to at a shitkicker job put them down because employers want to see that you can take a paid job seriously enough to turn up on time and be pleasant enough to work with. In the meantime, just take up some odd jobs like kids soccer referee or something so you don't have too much of a gap on tour resume.

Note to non Australians: undergraduates in university do 3-4 bachelor degree. People who don't want to do uni do either a work based
apprenticeship for a few years or they study a 2 year diploma course at a training and further education (TAFE) institutes which is analogous to community college in the USA.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.