[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Understanding depression

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (39KB, 630x263px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 630x263px
Hi all,

I've suffered with depression most of my life - since I was about 11 years old. When I was young, it was really consistent and really crippling, coupled with anxiety. When I got older, like 17, it would come and go in waves - but the bad times were enough that it almost cost me college. Now I'm 30 and the depression/anxiety hasn't been as sharp over the past few years, but it still comes in waves - sometimes long waves of up to a year, sometimes a few weeks before I break into manic happiness.

I was riding a big wave of happiness this year until suddenly, my uncle shot and killed himself.

It's made me think, and honestly, I'm struggling with life right now. My body feels ragged and beaten down, and all I want to do is lay in my bed, or drink - often a combination of the two. That said, I'm really good at putting on a facade, and I don't think people are noticing.

But nearly 20 years of dealing with depression has me wondering - should I look into medication? Many people seem to have said that while it takes away the lows, it takes away the highs, and that they hate it... But my close friends have called me manic depressive and sometimes I think they're right.

Thoughts?
>>
>>17588340
Have you sought medical help at all? Your brain operates on a series of chemical reactions, free will barely exists.

You probably have a chemical imbalance, the medication doctors prescribe are like a diabetic who needs insulin shots. The medication is to make up for any imbalances of chemicals your brain cannot produce. Medication will also give you happy highs but then in the downtime and come off shitty lows. So its up to you. I would still recommending consulting an actual doctor and seeing what he prescribes if he does at all.

For me depression is caused by wasting/not using my time. It means I sit at home and ruminate, bring on a negative mindset.

To fix it ive started forcing myself to shit every hour of everyday and get into meditation. Meditation so I have quiet time to reflect, it also alters your mental state in a good way, especially if you start with guided mediation.

I watch my diet, cut all unnecessary sugars from my diet, eat mostly protein, carbs and fats from yogurts as well as vegetables/fruit.

I Lift, It helps me vent, I get big and attention from women. It boosted my confidence substantially.

So, keep busy, meditate every morning, watch your diet by staying healthy, exercise preferably lifting. Getting a hobby such as rockclimbing, surfing, bike rides, boating, cooking etc are also good things to fill up your free time with.
>>
>>17588340
Shut the fuck up

Your uncle died, its normal you feel that way.

Sadness is a human emotion, if you try to use drugs to push it down believe, you will regret it.

Trust me, from 6 months to a year you will feel better. If you want something usefull go to the psychologist and develop a stronger personality.
>>
>>17588340
I would say seek some professional help
>>
>>17588340
You may have heard:
All things will pass.
>>
I don't think i can help ( i've living with depression. almost all my ( young ) life ) but i don't think i can.
I just can say that i understand that feel and, it happens, and this could be a long wave, or a short one, just, stay strong.

i had medication, and it wasn't a good experience.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.