[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Failing Computer Science course

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: memoryleak.png (37KB, 192x236px) Image search: [Google]
memoryleak.png
37KB, 192x236px
I'm in my 4th year of college as a junior taking a 300 level course. I had an assignement due tonight out of the 4 total, all of which are 40% of my grade. The assignment rubric is 40% no memory leaks, 40% displays output exactly, and a default 20% if it compiles and runs. I get a fucking 20% which means the 2 weeks I spent doing the assignment were as useless as writing cout<<"Hello World"; I started the assignment when it was given, went to the professors office 4 times, and asked for plenty of help. A classmate of mine recieved 60% when her's didn't even display the major part of the assignment. I'm very frustrated, and feel useless. Of course I will go to his office, but I don't know how to feel better about this.
>>
babe plz respond
>>
>>17586603

why do you wanna feel better about it?

Embrace what happened and move on, you cant stop for a failure.
>>
>>17586886
Embrace failure, how so?
>>
Some profs grade in shitty ways. I did a course in 3rd year engineering where I got 40 on both of our 25% midterms. I'm an 80% student so I was so fucking pissed off because I did understand the material but he basically marked my whole test wrong because I made a mistake at the beginning of the question. I was the maddest I ever was at uni. The course was comprised of just those midterms and a 50% final.

What you need to do is bite the bullet and start taking the course extremely seriously to make sure you get a passing grade in the end. What I did was I went to every class after I got my second failed midterm, took all the notes, and did all the problem sets early. Even if you feel you understand the basics of this course you need to over-study and become an absolute master of the subject. I got out of the course with a 67%. Pisses me off I get a crappy mark for acing the final but atleast I don't have to repeat a year. Don't let this asshole fuck up your graduation.
>>
>>17586901

Just grow a thicker skin and continue working on on whatever you have to do.

In other words. Deal with it / move on
>>
>>17586904
Well this class is online, so there's no lectures. I read all of the slides, I don't run the example code in the lecture content because it's broken up so it won't magically run as is. I at least make an effort to understand it, but I can't really tell if I actually do.
>>
>>17586948
Then put it together from the pieces and run it.
>>
>>17586603
you realize the marking criteria means that you can submit hello world and get 60% right?

what kind of coruse are you taking that submitting hello world can get you 60% of the marks?
>>
>>17587084
Object oriented Design
>>
>>17587141
well if its c++ all you need to do is use RAII and managed pointers. just google that, and you can easily get 60% of the grade.
>>
File: True neutral.jpg (57KB, 550x746px) Image search: [Google]
True neutral.jpg
57KB, 550x746px
>>17586603
We've all been there. A lot of math classes are only a midterm and a final and had a few rough upper divs where I got 50% or slightly below (curve was usually not to far ahead but I'm the asshole who usually gets +90%). Basically this >>17586904

You need to go all out and make sure you know the ins and outs of every concept. It's good you're going to your professor. They like that and understand it; they'll definitely help you out.

Something else to keep in mind: this is what seperates those who care from those who coast. If you're "passionate" about cs you'll get through this. In my cs classes some people had fucking breakdowns and it was just intro C++ (it covered pretty much all the basics but still very light).

So yeah. Don't give up OP
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.