[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College Cooking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (115KB, 906x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115KB, 906x720px
Hey guys. I'm at Uni and off the meal plan this year to save my appetite and my wallet.

It's been a month and I'm doing pretty well, but everything has been pretty basic, mostly simple heating. So I was wondering, what are some tips you have to help spice up my cooking? I'd say I'm still beginner, but I worked at a restaurant once and helped prepare things so I know how to chop, fry, mix, etc.

Favorite recipes? Favorite place to get recipes? Any must know secrets (like potatoe chips go really well in chicken noodle soup)? Any overall tips? Anything will be appreciated
>>
One of my favorites is Tortillas with peanut butter, then put it in the microwave.
>>
>>17585896
That's interesting, never heard of it before
>>
>>17585896
I second this
>>
Lima beans, rice, and cream. If you're feeling super rich and got access to a real stove, you can add some fish.

Also if you have them in your local grocery store, I buy the little cups of steak n shake chili and easy mac. Mix them together.
You'll have the worst molten lava farts/shit but it's worth it.
>>
Good thread OP. I just moved in and I've got a stove and a microwave. I can't help since I'm even more of a beginner than you, but here's a bump!
>>
>>17585896

Thanks, Beef Taco MRE.
>>
>>17585772
For Breakfast by cheap rolled oats in bulk, cook it with milk and add Peanut Butter and Honey

Idk how down you are for rice but if you eat like the korean ramen shin ramen, you can also buy microwavable rice from asian grocery stores. so you can eat the noodles and leave the soup behind and then add in the rice and eat it with the soup. Bonus points if you add a raw egg into your ramen while it is boiling.
>>
>>17585772

>>17587575 (me again)
Since I am asian most of my dishes are pretty asian esque. If you are really poor and can only afford essentials such as egg, I recommend making fried egg rice. simply take already cooked rice that has been left over or something, beat two or three eggs, pour eggs into hot pan. Let the pan cook a bit of the eggs, then start to stir the egg like you are going to scramble it. Then add in the rice and stir till it is golden, add soy sauce and fish sauce to give it more taste. Idk if you are white or not but some white people dont like the smell of fish sauce but dont realise it is actually used in a lot of asian cuisines, get past the smell and you have a beautiful additive that combines well with soy sauce
>>
If you also have a fridge you could cook bigger portions and save some time and money later on.
I really like a dutch dish called "stamppot" which is mashed potatoes with a mashed vegetable mixed through. You could add carrots and boil it together with the potatoes. Raw spinach or raw endive lettuce.
A favourite hungarian dish of mine is lecho. It is a one pot rice dish where you add fried paprika, onion and garlic. Either salami or scrambled eggs and tomato(sauce). Tastes very good all together.
But the best tip is to stock up on foods that ll stay fresh for a while when they are on sale. I always have a stack of pasta and pots of tomatosauce just in case I somehow cant make it to the grocery store one time.
>>
>>17585772
Basic carbonara is also good and you can make a lot of portions to save for the next 3 days... Just get rasher bacon onion and mushroom fry them in a pan add cooking cream, salt and chicken stock. all you got to do then is boil your pasta of choice and bon apetit
>>
I got a one-dish meal cookbook while I was in college and used that. This might sound weird but I used an american heart association one just because it was lighter on the salt and the recipes were simple as hell, I guess so people would actually make them. I probably spent $300 or so a month on the ingredients but I live in a really high cost of living state and wasn't very thrify so, ymmv.
>>
>>17587715

Oh forgot to mention I was cooking for two. So half that for just you
>>
buy some veggies, cut them yourself, toss them in 25 cent ramen

canned fruit is $1

Don't buy drinks, buy the powder, $1 a box and if you have a water bottle you can space out the packets to have a week's worth of drank

walmart sells loaves of bread for 50 cents (warning, gets moldier faster, you have about a week to scarf that shit down)

make your own tomato sauce, cans can go from 60 cents to a dollar

source: Have been VERY poor for a long time, only recently got money and I am still putting this shit to use and throwing the rest in my bank account

>>17585896

NEVER heard of this, I might try it
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.