[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So today is my eighteenth birthday. What do you wish you knew

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

File: nick-landweb.jpg (13KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
nick-landweb.jpg
13KB, 640x320px
So today is my eighteenth birthday. What do you wish you knew when you were my age?
>>
>To have fun before I graduate university instead of studying too much because once I'll reach 25 I'll be too old for most fun activites

>The older you get, the faster time goes by

>Having friends is more important than having a boyfriend/girlfriend

>Be nice to your parents

>Never adopt a pet (especially not a dog) until you feel responsible enough, both mentally and financially, to have a kid if you wanted to
>>
>>17585460

Smoking weed on weekdays will most likely fuck your education

Girls want sex more than relationships, don't be obsessive around them. Same goes for boys.

Never mix drinks, only drink one kind so you don't get too drunk and do stupid shit which will shame you ten years later looking back.

Do your fucking homework!

Keep at least 1000 dollarinos for emergencies

Always be on time for a job

Always go to the concerts with bands you fancy, in a year they might have dissolved, or worse, gotten a new lead singer
>>
That a blue collar job while you pick up college education >>>>>>>> going straight to college
>>
Don't waste your fucking education money by not going to classes, erase the fucking mindset of "I'm not gonna be a wageslave, I want to get a job as a designer in the game industry". Guess what, you fucking faggot, you come from a poor as fuck family, you WILL have to be a cog machine at least for a while before you start making your dreams true.

Look at yourself at 25. Alone, without friends or GF, working at a minimung wage, your family is jobless, and you STILL haven't finished your degree, and because of that, they added you two fucking years worth of new obligatory classes. And now you have no one to pay the education for you.

Serves you right.

And now listen up.

You will make it out of this fucking hole. YOU WILL DO IT. It is when you are in danger of being a complete failure that you demostrate your best abilities, and it's now or never to do it.

You are a filthy Peruvian, there are shitty jobs here, but you can speak English, for fuck's sake! You can compose music! Sing really fucking well! You can act and dub dialogue! You know things that 98% of the population doesn't! Come the fuck on.

You need money? You CAN and WILL make money to finish your dreams. Finish your degree, finish your proijects, start making a grand, move out to the First World , repay your debts with your family and start living your life! I'll be giving you five years top.
>>
>>17585577
Found the poor fag. I went to Brown for Comp Sci and I make $120k/year.
>>
>>17585460
>Be vulnerable.
Take risks. Be stupid. Accept the possibility of being hurt. You'll inevitably fuck up. You'll inevitably mess things up and do mistakes. Everyone does. Forgive yourself.
Do not be scared of suffering. On the other hand, do not suffer when it is unnecessary.

> Do a little every day.
Life is about building healthy habits more than putting a huge effort once in a while.
Be nice to your loved ones every day. Do one thing around the house every day. Eat healthy. Exercise. Study.

>Good enough is perfect.
Do not struggle to be perfect. Do good, push yourself over your limits every time, but do not try to achieve perfection. Do not compare yourself to others.
>>
>>17585460
either dont study at all or study a lot. dont stress your self.
>>
>>17585582
>You are a filthy Peruvian
oh shit
>>
>>17585583
Yeah cause money is everything isn't it? I have 50 acres of forest to my name I can hunt on, a hobby farm and make my own wine and spirits. I work outside every day and my scenery constantly changes. I actually pity people who think a paycheck with a bunch of 0s on it is the path to happiness.
>>
If you go to school do not take it too lax. Bad grades now will fuck you up down the line.

Get a hobby and stick to it. You will hate yourself when you're a 20 something and have no talents to be proud of.
>>
>>17585591

There's not much I can do to fix it, but I least I can try to make money in this awful world.

All that I want right now is to repay my debts towards my family and finally move out.
>>
>don't actively try to please anyone, unless you have something to win if you do
>have some physical activity be it some sport, jogging, lifting anything. It helps.
>don't smoke cigarettes, not even socially
>don't drink regularly, getting smashed once in a while is fine though
>mind your fucking diet, stop eating junk food like it's your job
>socialize more. talk to your classmates and shit, even if you don't have anything important to say
>read some non-fiction. Books about the real world. They will really change your perspectives and help you change for the better
>don't talk about yourself, never brag
>there are more people akin to you than you believe. Find them and befriend them
>stop being so transparent
>>
I wish I had a better work ethic, I wish I had started exercising earlier, and I wish I began smoking weed earlier.
>>
>if you're not certain you know what you wanna study in college take a sample semester
>no one will work hard for you, if you want something get it yourself
>you will do whatever you want anyway, because when you're 18 you're the smartest person alive
>dont be a blue pill beta male cuck, but don't try to become a red pill alpha male unless you want to lead a very shallow and hollow existence, with women be kind to them, but screen them before treating them kindly, and if they mistreat you never be afraid to cut them off
>>
>>17585634

> don't talk about yourself, never brag

I wholly dissagree, 50% of normie conversation is just this, get down on their level to communicate efficiently and establish yourself in the hierachy
>>
Quit smoking weed every single day

Start learning as much as possible you cuck

Fuck Kristin, that window of opportunity will quickly close

Go straight to school and get that shit out of the way ASAP

Your faggot hairline will start to recede so live it up while you still got it baby

Start a journal and record what you do each week
>>
>>17585582
Who are you talking to?
>>
>>17585741
Who's Kristin, anon?
>>
>>17585460

>sex really isn't as important as everyone says it is
>the job market is terrible - don't go for a job that makes a lot of money, spend time looking into something you actually love doing, and pursue it instead
>Everyone wants to be themselves out there - it's the most confident ones who turn their "strange desires" into the newest trends and fashions
>don't give too many fucks about what other people think. Everyone's opinionated - and usually as wrong as they are vocal about it.
>>
To not fuck a dirty ghetto white guy from the hood.
Would of saved me so much trouble.
>>
>>17585460

Figure out what the fuck you want to do and FOCUS on it. Everyone saying "Oh, you have plenty of time to try again" is full of shit unless your family is rich or you start making 100k+ within a year of graduation.

>>17585598

>Yeah cause money is everything isn't it?

Not having money is definitely a way to ruin EVERYTHING.

>I have 50 acres of forest to my name I can hunt on

You are bragging about money right now. Which is ironic.

>actually pity people who think a paycheck with a bunch of 0s on it is the path to happiness.

Do you believe in unicorns?
>>
>>17585634
If not now, when? About colonal Jack Jacobs. Great fucking read about a true American. Most decorated living US soldier
>>
>>17585460
It will never get better
>>
save the drug usage for at least when you're 21, the brain stops forming in mid twenties so give it some leeway!

don't let anything become a crutch, or a habit.

don't go into debt. be responsible with your money. assuming US, if you want to college then do community college, get scholarships, get grants, but DON'T INDEBT YOURSELF, unless you've thought long and hard about it. the US student loan system is a total fucking bullshit scam.

live honestly.

appreciate things, they can always be worse, they can always be better.

reality is perspective is reality.

life is about experience, don't shy away from new (good) experiences.

do psychedelics in a safe environment with the mindset of self-improvement.
>>
>Friends are more important than a partner
>Making good habits now will help you greatly later
>Don't weave a web of lies when you move to a new area
>Clean your apartment every single week, never let shit pile up in the kitchen, people respect tidy people greatly (especially women)
>>
>>17586369
So make sure to focus even if it means skipping out on college?
>>
>>17587503
>don't let anything become a crutch, or a habit.
Can you explain what you mean by this?
>>
>>17587552
I was talking about things that can control you or that you can become dependent on that are generally unhealthy. Though, too much of anything tends to be bad. There's this debilitating sort of hopelessness that comes with the perceived lack of control surrounding addiction or whatever, so it's best to just not even get to that point imo.

If you wanted the experience of being addicted though, then sure go for it but know how to get yourself out.
>>
If you have unresolved hang ups or issues about yourself/life/family that genuinely trouble you then deal with them now.

As difficult, daunting, awkward or frightening it may seem presently the longer you wait the more you will regret having gone forward with a monkey on your back and not completely forming your life to suit you.
>>
Don't ever loan anyone money you will never see it again
Finishing school should be the most important thing you do
Make connections, do internships
Don't waste so much time trying to get into a relationship because it's not fucking worth it just be alone
Friends are cool, but don't let them influence you into doing dumb shit.
Don't get a tattoo, don't drink, don't smoke
Don't get involved with anyone who hates their mother because they will never respect you
>>
>>17585598
Money buys freedom. All man wants is to be free, therefore money is pretty much everything. Dont sell yourself the lie that money isnt important, because realistically, for 99% of people, it really is.
>>
get as much sleep as you can, sounds stupid but it really fucked me up in my collage years
>>
>>17585460
"just be yourself" is legitimately the best advice anyone has ever given you.
>>
>learn to say no.
>its not ur job to please other ppl.
>give yourself more credit
> learn to show yourself kindness
>as long as you have siblings, parents, a few close friends and a pet you have ppl who love you
>don't do powder drugs
> things can always get worse
> know the value of having food and a roof over your head
>>
judging by everyone's response, you're not allowed to make mistakes, get drunk, get high, fuck up in school, and you need to be a social god. all by the tender age of 18. no pressure bucko
>>
>>17590158
Lol
>>
File: 1124140646c.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1124140646c.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>17585460
that the past is gone and the future never comes
there is only now
it is always now
also meditate
>>
File: bird makes a mistake.png (335KB, 417x515px) Image search: [Google]
bird makes a mistake.png
335KB, 417x515px
Don't be afraid to give up, even after investing a lot of resources. Do learn from it.
>>
Good friends are hard to come by, don't let small shit get in the way of that.

Never pass up the opportunity to experience something new, even if you think you won't like it. Unless you think it would harm you I guess you can make an acceptation for that.
So much shit I didn't do because I wanted to browse 4chan that, even though I might not of enjoyed them at the time, would have made memories.
>>
>>17585460

It depends upon your socio-economic background, and life experience.

That being said, be careful you you trust, save as much as you can, and pursue your dreams no matter what others say.

Don't be afraid to take only a few classes at first to get the ball rolling, and in your strongest subject to get your confidence going. Make sure they are core classes, too. That way there is no waste later on if you change your mind on a major or gives you time to think about one in the first place. Get an applied associates degree, and use that to help earn a living while pursuing a bachelors. Remember, a bachelors is 120 credits, and an associates is 60. You can earn half of a bachelors degree at 1/10th the cost that way roughly. Learn to cook asap, and healthy as possible. Don't be afraid of tupperware.

Make a sex kit: lube, condoms, etc. Keep it on hand at all times to not be caught off guard, and change it out periodically to make sure the condoms don't expire or if the weather was extreme causing them to compromise. Also, don't be afraid to wait, because if you can smell her near the belly button back the fuck off. Most importantly for all involved, don't get with a girl whom you don't want to be seen on the street with together. Respect.

Learn some basic first aide, and start exercising moderately. You'll feel better, and be a little bit more prepared just in case life happens.

Do all your assignments the minute you get out of class. No if's, ands, or buts. Get it done early, and all of it. If you don't you will get flooded, and life happens people wanting to hang, etc. Just trust me, and don't put it off for even a second. If you fail a class because you decided to hang, and suddenly all classes had tests around the same time and it snowballs that semester...you'll wish you missed that one hang out rather than a whole fucking semester or year. Work hard when young where you can be free when older. Dont be 4chan or myself.
>>
>>17590311

One last thing, fuck social pressure for anything they say: sex, clothes, jobs, etc. Stick to your guns no matter what, because people change their tunes and if you wind up failing because you compromised in the moment instead of doing what you knew was best guess whom lives with it? You. If you need to be a poor, celibate workaholic your first few years be that, because it is those who make the big bucks later on. Also, life isn't fair, and there is so much drama and betrayal in the workplace if you don't know or blow someone. Look out for yourself, because no one else really will. Just...succeed. Keep at it, and hope you make it. Nothing is certain, but also don't shoot yourself in the foot on something obvious. Ignore others, be prudent, and follow yourself.
>>
>>17585634
>>don't talk about yourself, never brag
Wrong. Obviously you don't go around like a douche, but if you're killing it at school/work/whatever you better be steering conversations to the topic so you can bring up how awesome you are.

If you want your accomplishments to produce tangible results then other people need to be aware of them.
>>
>>17585460
Learn to say NO. Don't let your partner control your life; if you're dating someone who makes you feel like shit no matter the reason you shouldn't be with them. Wasted so many years on abusive relationships from 18-24.

Get in the habit of fitness/lifting early. At your age your body still makes its own steroids. When you're older and out of school, it's much harder to get into the habit and you'll be fat as fuck before you know it if you don't start at some point.

(more personal to me) go to a bigger university with lots of activities, don't go to a small liberal arts college full of hipsters who never do anything. You're more of an extrovert than an introvert, you just don't know it yet.
>>
college is a scam, go for one year to make friends and get laid then just get a part time job and live in a party house until you figure out what you want to do.
>>
>>17585460
If you're given a deadline then every day after and including the day you knew about this assignment/job is a day you should be working on it.

Things pile on fast and days go by even faster. Eventually assignments will be more difficult to handle at the last minute and your stress threshold will go way the fuck down until you finally have a full on panic attack.

Same goes for shit like tests, until you have a concrete study guide/flashcard pile and have used it so much that the knowledge is second nature it becomes priority in your life even 4 weeks before the date.

On the flipside, never be so busy that you neglect your friends, pets, SO, family etc.
>>
>>17585777
Not him but
>What do you wish you knew when you were my age?
His 18 year old self
>>
It really isn't that big a deal. Life goes on.
>>
>>17589788
>"just be yourself" is legitimately the best advice anyone has ever given you.
Fuck you, it isn't, if yourself is a shitty or flawed person then you have to be better.

Don't lie to people but don't lie to yourself and say "My crippling social anxiety and fear of women is OKAY because I'm just being myself :^)"
>>
>>17587503
t. older me

>tfw find someone saying im doing right
>>
>>17585586
What do you mean don't strive for perfection?
I'm a 18 year anon who is trying to be the best I can be.
>>
>>17590158
Their called mistakes for a reason anon, you don't want to do them.
>>
>>17585460

Whetever job you end up working will most likely be boring drudgery. Best to go through college and ensure that boring drudgery comes with a slightly higher paycheck.

>>17585577

Yeah no.

Sure, I was making more than my friends when we were all 21. Now we're 30 and the ones with degrees are making more than me.

Not that I'm doing bad at all, mind you. Just not making *as much* as they are, even though we all put up with shitty supervisors, job stress, etc.

If you have to totally fuck yourself over to go to college, don't do it. But if you've got financial aid, scholarships, and/or someone else is willing to pay, then fucking do it.
>>
>>17591963
>What do you mean don't strive for perfection?

Perfection is the enemy of good enough.

What it means is that life isn't like school and things aren't conveniently split into grades.

So, in real life, if you spend so much time going after the metaphorical A+ (which may not actually exist in real life) so much that you skip over the metaphorical B+'s, and continually pine for the A+, then you'll be a very sad person.
>>
Friends come before partners, soon enough you'll find yourself with no friends and only ex's.
Learn how to follow routines, it will help in your work life, but at the same time know how to drop everything and switch off.
If its not going to be a problem in 3 days, don't waste any nerves on it.
Aspire to be a good person, and not just an edgy young adult.
Stand by your beliefs, and always trust your judgement.
Respect your parents, and give something back.

Some things I wish i knew.
>>
Keep drinking/drugs/treats to the weekend.

You can take a course online in a week to get certified for insurance and get cool office jobs that pay well.

I would have read more about physical control laws relating to DUIs, you can probably pass on that bit.
>>
>>17591963
Which is amazing. Keep trying to better yourself.

But don't expect your life to be perfect. Things don't always end up the way you want or expect them to.
Sometimes it's more important to get things done than to do things perfectly.

For example that essay you've been rewriting a thousand times, that girl you've meant to ask out but you're not really in the right place, that job you wanted to apply to but your CV isn't really as good as it should be.
Don't do that. Life doesn't work like that. Perfection is an ideal we cannot achieve, and while it still needs to be our ideal, we can sometimes be okay with being good enough.
>>
>>17590353
>>17585711
Do you enjoy listening to someone talk about themselves? Do you like listening to someone talk about how great he is, about his amazing achievements? No, of course not, no one does. We like talking about ourselves and our interests, not about others.

I didn't mean that you should always try to keep the discussion away from yourself, but that you should never be seen as trying to influence people into thinking one way or another about yourself.

Catching attention and selling yourself is very important, but you never do it by bragging, it has the opposite effect. You should say something about yourself once in a while, but you should never praise yourself and you should never say too much. You should be talking just enough to give people something to think about regarding your person, to create a little mystery. That's how you make an impact on others, not by telling them how great you are.

You should never TELL people how great you are. You should subtly inspire an idea that will make them realize it. It should be a conclusion they themselves draw, not something you tell them. Talking about your achievements should always be done lightly, barely touched on. If your achievements are impressive they will be impressed anyways, as long as they know about them. And if it seems like they were no big deal to you, like you did not put very much effort into them you will seem even more competent and interesting. The lesser you seem to try to impress the more impressive you will be.

See, we're not really all that impressive. I mean, think about it, what are your biggest achievements? If it's something you'd expect to hear at a job interview then you're not going to impress anyone with it. Not when they know about people who achieved much more than you. Trying to be impressive is counter-productive in the end. You should try to be memorable, not impressive and you achieve that by appearing a complex, pleasant and somewhat elusive person.
>>
>>17589249
>>17586369

I am older and probably richer than most people on this board.
Money does not buy happiness. I promise.

It's nice to have enough so bills and emergencies aren't a problem, but please, for your own sake, do not use it as a metric to measure your life. It will fail you.

It is a lesson that you might only have to learn the hard way, but if you can take money off of a pedestal, you will be a better person.

If the first thing people say about is "he's loaded", it will be a wall between you and them, always.

Other rich people will always compete about who has more. It's endless who has the coolest car, most exotic vacation, which schools you send your kids too. It sucks, its not fun.

middle class and below will instantly dislke you, no matter what (unless they can get something from you).
>>
>>17592698
>middle class and below will instantly dislke you, no matter what (unless they can get something from you).

My wife (who grew up under modest conditions) kind of has this attitude, and it's very annoying. She assumes that anyone who seems like they have more money than her looks down on her.

I was middle class growing up, but since my brother and I moved out, my folks went back to school, got much better jobs, and make a lot more money. They take lots of vacations and give family and friends lots of gifts. We were planning a small wedding, but my folks graciously offered to pay for it and send us overseas on our honeymoon.

And the crazy part? They NEVER ask for anything in return.

My wife feels nervous whenever she's around my mom because she thinks my mom is judging her.

But my mom loves her. She thinks my wife is one of the most intelligent and interesting people she's ever met.

She even likes her more than my brother's wife who (despite being more educated and making more) is demanding, spoiled, and prone to pouting when she doesn't get her way.

But my wife is convinced my mom has a low opinion of her.
>>
>>17585460
>Don't start smoking cigarettes on a regular basis. Fucks with your dick and motivation

>Don't join the military. You know it's not something you agree with morally, and that it literally the only reason to join. All those people saying the VA fucks you over are right

>Start working out ASAP. In 3 years you could be the best looking out of your friends and put the other cunt in his place whenever he gets uppity.

>Take some time to figure out what you want to do. We both know that your major isn't what your interested in.

>Don't do things because other people will think it's cool. Makes you look like a tool

>STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THE BAR HOPPING/CLUBBING/NIGHTLIFE CROWD!

>Kevin becomes a walking stereotype of what >>17592698 says. Be ready to distance yourself from him
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.