[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weekly Career Insecurity Thread: Virginia Sucks Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: enlist.jpg (110KB, 600x915px) Image search: [Google]
enlist.jpg
110KB, 600x915px
For the 800th time I come back asking for the insights of the anons of this board, especially ones that have established careers and somewhat older (26+)

>Currently in the military making around 52k a year.
>Will be making at least 65k within the next 5 years, and at least 75k around the age of 34
>Some benefits are that total medical/dental/vision are all paid for
>I will not have a state income tax so long as I am in
>College is 95% paid for while I'm in
>Regular chance for promotion
>Great 401k option

and the biggest one...

>after 20 years of service I can retire at the age of 39 and receive a pension of 50% of my base pay (which will be at least 2300k a month) until I drop dead, on top of medical/dental benefits

My question is, how does this compare to the civilian sector? Should I just suck it up and stay until retirement? What would you do in my situation?

The job I do is easy, but challenging, so the outlook of doing 20 years isn't dreadful at all. Sometimes I just feel like I'd find more fulfillment working a trade job as an electrician or something. My biggest fear is getting out and realizing down the line I left a very great opportunity.
>>
Stay in. It's rough out here.
>>
But how do you get a gf?
>>
>>17581193

>It's rough out here.

I don't understand what that means exactly. I mean, I do hear a lot about guys getting out and wanting to come back because of how difficult it is getting a job but I always thought I could find a great paying job by doing an apprenticeship with a trade union.
>>
>>17581239

>But how do you get a gf

>Marry a high-school sweet heart
>Marry an asian woman over-seas
>Bang asian hookers over-seas
>Find a hungry bitch fishing for dem benefits
>Date other Navy/Army/Marine chicks (strongly advise against)

I chose option one
>>
Dude I can assure you that 20 years from now the military will be the only place where you can have a pension. Unless you're going to be making millionaire type money I'd stay (I assume you're not being shot at...because that might make a small difference)
>>
>>17581253

>I can assure you that 20 years from now the military will be the only place where you can have a pension

I hear this a lot. Though, as of 2018 all new service members will not have the traditional pension retirement I mentioned, it would be like a half pension at 65 / half 401k
>>
>>17581251
I like when that happens. I hope she stays with you through all the time you're away.
>>
>>17581274

So far she's treated me like a king, she's more than I deserve
>>
>>17581283
Well lets hope she doesn't realize that.
>>
>>17581259
well if you still get the old deal the I'd hold on to it
>>
Anon, what field are you in? If your MOS translates well to civilian life, might start looking at your field then think about leaving.

Also, unrelated, but I'm 27 and at a dead-end working a minimum wage job. I have a Psych degree. Could I possibly join Military w/ a commission or is that a longshot?
>>
>>17581184

>Currently in the military making around 52k a year.

You have non-college / non-trade / shitty college major anons beat. There are people out there making $30,000 with a Bachelors with no job security.

>Will be making at least 65k within the next 5 years

This is what meh job pays after 5-10 years or what kids make out of college in "real" and in-demand majors.

>at least 75k around the age of 34

Decent intermediate professional salary. Past here, you have IT professionals, certified actuaries, lawyers, doctors, etc.

Basically, you don't have it bad, but you are also severely capped on your top income. Most civie jobs paying over 50k or so will have full benefits (though you do pay for them sometimes, albeit at a reduced rate).

>after 20 years of service I can retire at the age of 39 and receive a pension of 50% of my base pay (which will be at least 2300k a month) until I drop dead, on top of medical/dental benefits

This is ok...as long as you get a second career.

In short, if you want a bearable life, your income is enough. If you want to be a balla, yea, it's not going to happen. Imo, you should absolutely get a real bachelors and maybe a masters while you are in.
>>
>>17581326

I'm Navy, we have "rates" not MOS's. I'm a Gunner's Mate, I work with anything ordnance related. No real after-military transition skills but I'm looking at converting to a new job.

As far as getting a commission I can only tell you your best advice is to talk to a recruiter. I think as far as the Navy you'd have a fair shot so long as you don't have a criminal record, medical disqualification, and are reasonably fit. But if you do talk to a recruiter do, talk to the Air force first, life's better one their side.
>>
>>17581251
>tfw never had a high school sweetheart
Thank God I didn't enlist
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.