[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1466195673829.gif (2MB, 294x273px) Image search: [Google]
1466195673829.gif
2MB, 294x273px
I'm at a point in my career where I need to invest time and $$$ in education if I want to advance any more.

I'm a software QA engineer. I make $80k/yr before taxes, full medical+dental+life, stock options, good work environment. I have an undergrad degree in mechanical engineering, and interned at a few research labs while at college.

The most obvious path is to stick where I'm at, keep making $, work hard, improve my computer skills, and either transition to software engineering or project/product management, whichever makes itself available. This might take 1-2 years, cost nothing to a few grand, and have me making $100k per year at least.

Alternatively, I could go to grad school. I previously applied and got into some of the top 50 programs in mechanical engineering, but declined for personal reasons. I think I would stand a good chance if I applied again. Fields that interest me are computer science (but I have no background and probably couldn't get in...), computational modelling, robotics, and bioengineering (I have a background in biomaterials but not genetics, which is where I think the future it). I might be able to get tuition remission and a stipend depending on the school I get into. I suppose it doesn't hurt to apply... But I'd be more interested in getting a master's degree, and financial support isn't as common for that.

The moonshot is med school. My overall GPA is 3.35. I took most of the prereq courses, but my grades there aren't amazing (mostly Bs, between C+ and A) and I would still need to take some biology courses (couple grand), shadow/volunteer, and study for/take the MCATS. Obviously this also has a fairly low success rate, and were I to succeed I would dedicate the next 7-8 years of my life to intensive study and probably graduate with $300-500k of debt.

Any thoughts? Ultimately I want to be making $100k+ after taxes, have zero debt in my late 30s/early 40s, do interesting work, help people, and have a fairly flexible schedule.
>>
Nice. Sounds like you need to just make a choice and stick with it. Go get more school.
>>
>>17579485
>Ultimately I want to be making $100k+ after taxes, have zero debt in my late 30s/early 40s, do interesting work, help people, and have a fairly flexible schedule.

well I'd scratch med school of that list right now
>>
>>17579500
Yeah that's a big problem I have with making big decisions.

>>17579501
Well let's so some quick accounting here. Med school... Let's error on the side of caution and say $300k in debt (4 years, little over 30k for in-state tuition, 30k for living expenses). 4 year residency making about $50k/yr and deferring loans and accruing interest... Then a 10 year plan at 7% apr yields about $70k/yr in loan payments. Pretty fucking hefty, sure... But the salary an ER doc is around $275k/yr, or about $170k/yr after taxes. So I've be netting $100k/yr, yielding $50k/yr in saving easily since I live frugally. At the end of a 10 year repayment + 8 years of training, I would be around 45 with $500k in the bank, and I could easily cut back my hours and work part time.

At a $100k/yr salary ($65k/yr after taxes), living frugally, I yield $25k/yr in savings. Over 18 years, meaning I'd be 45 with $450k in the bank. Hopefully I earn more than 1 pay raise in the next 18 years though... But still.
>>
Start your own business. Go back to school and learn how to manage a company. Start a business in software or whatever and make bank.

That's how you really get money. High risk high reward, but at least you tried and learned a lot no matter what happens

Or be a cuck and work for Mr goldstein so he can expand his yacht for the rest of your life
>>
>>17579974
>That's how you really get money. High risk high reward, but at least you tried and learned a lot no matter what happens
And being flat out broke
>Or be a cuck and work for Mr goldstein so he can expand his yacht for the rest of your life
So your the CEO of your own company then?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.