[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is dating a radical christian possible as an atheist ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: jeezus.jpg (508KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
jeezus.jpg
508KB, 720x540px
I was raised as an atheist (a lot of us are in France).
I read some pages of the bible out of curiosity but not the whole thing. I'm not even baptised.

Yesterday I went to a "bible learning group" from my university, to see what it was like, and to meet people.

There's a girl there that is really cute and I was wondering if I should even try to date her.

She seems really into religion, I tracked her facebook to see if she has a boyfriend, it doesn't seem so. But apparently she's one of the persons that are in charge of this group, I assume she was raised a christian and is very very religious. She posts crhistian rock stuff, photos of her at crhistian meetings in different countries.

Am I fucked if I want to date her ? I don't mind the "no sex before mariage" thing, I'm seeking love. But I feel like this girl is probably dreaming of the perfect religious and pure boy.
>>
Does she even want to date you?
>>
>>17577779

there is only one way to find out. to not even try is to not get your answer. asking here does not give you the answer.

the only thing we can tell you here is that if you do this YOU need to eb open minded. not that oyu need to be religious, but you have to be willing to go to church with her on the high holidays or even just for her once in awhile.

atheists act like this is some big deal, but once oyu get past the bull shit, its no different than seeing her family, or hanging with her friends, or doing a chore she hates. its just a little time you take out of her life because you love her, so whats an hour hurt? plus you get to dress up all nice and the people are all nice, and oyu get to sing.

the only other issue is whether or not you'd be willing have your kids raised christian. if you could go in saying you dont mind, then more power to you. if ur not sure, dont worry, figure it out later, you havent even found out if shed be remotely interested in you yet.

and as for her, we dont know. many christians want a christian man. many christians date atheists / agnostics cuz they like the guy himself.

you havent even really met her yet so why are you worrying so much. go ask her and find out first. you guys are only in college after all.
>>
Also, another thing is that I tend to kiss girls as confession. I always liked a goodbye kiss at the end of a date to make the first step. I don't like confessing with the "I love you" discourse.
But if by doing that I steal her first kiss and she doesn't like it I will feel very guilty. So I don't know how to process with this kind of girl.
>>
>>17577779

I don't think so because you will always see her as very dumb. Her small
mind can't grasp some things and that will turn you off completely.
>>
>>17577783
I talked to her once dude. But I'm definitely going back to that bible group, and I'm willing to try to know her, and if she has a personnality as charming as her round face, I will make use of your advices.
I'm thinking ahead of time you know.
>>
>>17577784
I don't mind going to church or having my kids raised christians.
I'm the type of guy that cherish the happiness of others (because I'm naturally depressed).
I'm worrying so much because my last relationship was a total trainwreck.

>>17577787
I don't think peoples are dumb for believing in god. I don't take my opinion of things so seriously.
>>
shameless bump, I really know nothing about how this type of people functions.
>>
File: moshi_moshi_jesus_desu.jpg (27KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
moshi_moshi_jesus_desu.jpg
27KB, 500x375px
You could always give it a shot. But my advice is you don't. I faked being Christian for a 8.5/10 qt. All went well until marriage became a subject. All in all it's not worth the trouble broseph.
>>
>>17577970
I'm not considering faking being christian, that's why I'm asking if she could date an atheist.
>>
>>17577983
Not really sure. I do think eventually she will try to convert you though...

Not worth the bullshit man. Unless you fancy Degrassi-tier drama...
>>
>>17577993
Well is she tries to convert me I will get the fuck out the relation, but otherwise I don't know. Maybe you're right, if she wants a good christian as an husband I should not interpose.
I will still try to have conversations with her, to see how open-minded she is about atheists.
>>
>>17578003
Good luck bro. I hope she's an understanding girl. Otherwise you're in for a lot of heartbreak and drama.
>>
>>17578019
Thanks a lot good sir.
>>
>>17577779
If she is not one of those of us who are against an "unequal" joke, it is possible. That being said:

- It will lead to discussions, issues. Is she ok with sexuality? If so how much and how soon? Will you tolerate her spending up to several days a week at religious activities? What if you to actually do work out well aside of your faith and stay together - do you want children and if so are you fine with them being raised religious?

But yes, it is possible. However you have to be non missionary for it to work out. You can state your opinion, sure, but only respectfully. If you go all "Muh fairy tale dead jew on a stick" on her, or you will get dumped before the thing even started and rightfully so.

>I read some pages of the bible out of curiosity but not the whole thing.
Most Christians honestly do neither. It after all isn't a book (like the Koran for example) but a library. If you want to get to know the very basics of Christian faith, just read one of the synoptic (first three) gospels, John only if you want to, Either Romans or Galatians, James, Acts only if you want to, a few random of the psalms, a few chapters of one of the prophets, and if you wnat a fun lecture that says nothing about faith but is sexy the song of salomon as well. :-)

No need to read the whole thing.

IF you end up:

Since you want to perhaps rather have a liberal Christian GF than a hardcore one, it cannot hurt to read Paul Tillich's "The Courage to be".
And for yourself to read Schleiermacher's"On Religion: Speeches to its Cultured Despisers" and to focus more on the art, music and beauty aspects of your partners religion than it's dogmatics, that helps I think to appreciate it in a way.

http://www.pol-ts.com/Research_files/Source%20Material/Tillich/courageofbe011129mbp.pdf

http://spiritual-minds.com/religion/philosophy/Schleiermacher%20-%20Speeches%20On%20Religion.pdf

Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTndWoNENnI
>>
>>17577779
Oh, and be honest with her early on about your lack of faith.
>>
>>17578077
Thanks a lot for the detailed reponse. You're giving me hope and courage.

I'm not the type of guy to mock christians, the fact that I went to this disucssion groupe means that I'm interested in different culture, and as you say, I'm more focused on the art that lays in it.

I wouldn't mind about her going to church or raising our kids christians.
I would be please to have a wife that wanna build a real home you know.

>Also, another thing is that I tend to kiss girls as confession. I always liked a goodbye kiss at the end of a date to make the first step. I don't like confessing with the "I love you" discourse.
>But if by doing that I steal her first kiss and she doesn't like it I will feel very guilty. So I don't know how to process with this kind of girl.

Could I get your advice on that too ?
>>
>>17578102
Hm, sorry, but I doubt that I can give you much advice on this, since I think it really is based of more on the girls personality than her religion.

Personally I tend to go hand grabbing first for one or two dates first before I go for the kiss, but I am sure even in religious circles some girls are fine with the kiss as well.

Perhaps even more with the kiss then with a love talk. I doubt you can love someone (in the true sense of the word) after just one date, but that may be just me.

So you, I guess you have to feel what is the right approach for her. Idk,
>>
>>17578133
Thanks, if a date happens I will go with grabbing her hand.
>>
>>17577779
>crhistian rock
French christian rock? I didn't know that was a thing.
>>
My question is what will OP say when she inevitably asks about why he was at the bible study?

"I was just curious?"

Then it will probably be revealed he's atheist and she will either be put off or become focused about "converting" him.

I guess she could be extremely cool and not care either way but I feel like that's really unlikely.
>>
>>17578146
Aha no, she posts american stuff. A lot of people in her religous groups are foreign, I think she's bilingual.
>>
>>17578151
Yeah I'm going with "I'm curious, I like to explore cultures, I like litterature and never took the time to read the bible" = the truth.
I think that can make me sound clever and sympathic, but also "heretic". I don't know.
>>
>>17578077
I'd go for a somewhat different list myself, if you want to be able to fake your way through most conversations:

OLD TESTAMENT:
- Genesis, Exodus, and Job (most common "Bible stories" not involving Jesus are from these).
- Leviticus (The elephant in the room).
- Psalms and Proverbs (the dankest Christian memes come mostly from here).

NEW TESTAMENT
- Mark and John (Mark is thought to have been used when writing Matthew and Luke, while John is a totally different perspective).
- I Corinthians and II Corinthians (probably the most-quoted letters, and some of the issues have direct relevance to relationships with nonbelievers).

EXTRA CREDIT
- Matthew and Luke (more often quoted than Mark, though covering largely the same material).
- The Song of Solomon (betcha didn't expect to find ancient Hebrew lolicon in the Bible).
- Ezekiel (for those who find the Song of Solomon to be too tame and boring).
- Enoch (this is from the Apocrypha; consider it the Pokedex of the celestial realm. Also a must-read if you are a fan of Evangelion, In Nomine, or using anything celestial in your D&D campaign).
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.