[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was born with club foot on both feet (had surgeries). During

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: the city of darkness.jpg (1MB, 1500x1501px) Image search: [Google]
the city of darkness.jpg
1MB, 1500x1501px
I was born with club foot on both feet (had surgeries). During the last year I've experienced some big hits to my self-esteem and identity.

I've always thought of myself as a pretty normal, fit guy with a rather minor inborn defect that makes some things harder but doesn't really hinder me.

In recent months though I've heard shit like:

>(at a custom orthotics point) your feet have got worse since the last appointment, you can forget about wearing fashionable shoes if you don't want these orthotics to be wasted money
>(from my driving instructor during my third lesson, today) that during 40 years he's been driving he's never seen anyone whose feet would work so stiffly on the pedals; he said that I must never have done any sports?

I've done sports since I was a teen - kickboxing, karate, swimming, strength training, you name it.

Yes, my ankle joint motion is limited and it to some degree affects how well I can press and feel the pedals, but it's not very bad and it has never stopped me from doing most exercises. I can do calf raises etc. Hell, even people with fused ankle with 0 joint movement drive a normal car, I can move my feet like 4 inches up and down.

He acts as if I was doing something grossly wrong with my legs on the pedals; he made me feel like I was disabled or some shit.

Those are just examples. It's a bit draining on my self-image. The worst thing is I should probably live life to the fullest when I'm still more or less normal looking and functioning, as from all I've read about my condition it looks like I will be totally fucked before I hit 40, but it just doesn't work like that, it just makes me depressed.
>>
>>17571487
Easier said than done, but fuck them

>orthotics are giving you an objective statement. Your feet may indeed be a little worse? So what. That's like hearing someone's asthma is getting worse

>Your driving instructor obviously just doesn't know about your issue and I'm sure would be very apologetic about what he said if you explained to him

But yeah, just get on with your life as you have been. Most people really don't care about things like this

Take an example from last week... Got introduced to a colleague's friend. Went to shake his hand... His right was paralysed, so he presented his left. So I swapped hands and shook his left hand... Zero fucks were given and we continued drinking at the bar
He didn't mention it and I had no interest in asking
>>
>>17571503
Oops, first quote was your original thread
>>
>>17571503
They probably are a bit worse, but the part with shoes is pretty fucked up as I like to dress well and she wants me to wear sneakers or similar shoes all the time. Well, perhaps I'll spend the money on custom shoes, I think I could get them to be both good looking and comfortable? I think it would be a good investment.

Yeah I did explained it to him afterwards and he kind of was. I'd just rather it had never had to be brought up as it makes me feel insecure and low. It was just my 3rd lesson so I hope I won't be totally hopeless at it later.

I think I could make use of a therapist about all this shit (not the instructor thing, just my feet/identity issues in general, and perspectives for the future). My dad has been very supportive but I don't want to burden him too much.
Another thing is I hope they would take me to the army if the war broke out. I was deemed able to serve at the physical examination but it was 5 years ago.

Thanks for your answer; yeah I wanted to fix the formatting.
>>
b
>>
Bump. I still feel like shitb
>>
>>17571491
I admire you OP for living your life and not using your club feet as an excuse. If I were you get a second or third opinion. Countless stories of doctors telling people they will never live a normal life or never walk and they fucking do.
>>
>>17571491
You just need to learn to grow a thicker skin and not let the little shit get to you. If people don't mean to make you feel like shit, then don't.
>>
>>17573851
Yeah I always wanted to be normal... perhaps too much. That's why even things such as described above get to me.
It's not that bad, the last orthopaedist I've been to literally told me to go live a normal life, just to avoid too much walking and running, which I'm pretty fine with (I just hope I can do martial arts without fucking my feet up more... need to ask about it).
He said they can't really be improved though, which worries me as not only are they in worse condition than in my teens but are probably going to get worse still and drag my other joints like knees with them (I already have mild knock knees from them and a weird stabbing knee pain from time to time).
I hope reconstructive surgery can help me if things begin to be too fucked up. I'm still young so I could probably recover from it fine, I just need a few months that I can spend lying in a hospital bed.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.