[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shouild I do it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: CX_0012.jpg (2MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
CX_0012.jpg
2MB, 3000x2000px
I'm currently in a mechanical engineering major and I'm having a little dilemma—I've been lying to myself. I used to work in web design and hated every second that I had to spend behind the keyboard. For some reason, I kept telling myself that a job in mechanical engineering would be different, but thinking back, one of my high school teachers actually told me about his experience as an engineer. He was an electrical engineer in a cubical all day behind a computer and catalog of electronic components. He said he hated it so much that he was willing to become a teacher just to get out of the job. I've been pretty down for the last couple of years because I never pursued my interests—I always set them aside to get work done instead. Now though, I see an opportunity to do one of the things that have been on my mind since I was a child; I can be a pilot. I've had a life long interest in planes and aviation in general so it always just seemed attractive to me, but like I said, I never pursued it. I'm financially secure enough to get a pilot's license and plenty of hours in without worrying about a small initial paycheck when I do eventually get a career as a pilot, but I just want to find out what people have to say about this. I'm not all too worried about the paycheck, so long as it helps me to be happy.

TL;DR ME student who's not excited for jobs related to major; should I chase my dreams of becoming a pilot instead?
>>
Is web design really that bad? I've heard it makes good money.
>>
>>17570080
Yeah it pays well, but I feel so dead inside doing it. It's just not for me. I want my job to be exciting—something I want to do.
>>
Your teacher is right, despite everyone praising his career my bf hates what he does in his EE job because he got really pigeonholed. Considers teaching uni or basically anything else now

However the bright side is he's under 30 and can get a house/etc without much effort. There's a plus and minus to everything.
>>
>>17570080
After meeting some web designers, they are a step above programmers. Programmers in my experience have been soulless automatons. I'm honestly curious what they do for fun, because they have no vices that I can identify besides coding after-hours. It kinda depends where you work though, if the boss is cool and laidback, then the employees usually are too. Then it's more like a bunch of roomies trying to solve a really long math problem.
>>
File: Passing Snacks.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
Passing Snacks.gif
1MB, 320x180px
Comp Sci Major here, I plan 100% to go for an Aviation contract through OCS with the Navy.

Plus, I think shit might be going down soon and advances in technology will probably lead to the end of the age of fighter pilots.

Apparently they're understaffed for aviators right now, so I hope that will still be true when I'm graduating.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.