[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Musical Talent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

I would love to make music for video games. I have a really good musical ear, and rhythm but I have no experience with instruments. This is a long shot but is anyone in the business for making music? Narrowing it down to video game music would be better honestly
>>
>>17568666
what exactly do you want to know?
>>
>>17568700
Like how can i get into that field? Good places to start for experience
>>
>>17568666
my background
>AA in audio production/engineering
>pianst; been playing for 18 years
>I write music/sing/play
>mainly have worked in the production side of things; studio stuff, and engineering (tracking, mixing, mastering]

ask your questions.

I dont know how old you are, but if you want to be a composer, it is kind of hard, everyone wants to do that; that being said, pick up an instrument, piano or guitar are simple enough to learn and you can teach yourself using youtube videos; or take classes on the cheap at your local community college, group lessons are decent enough for starting out; in university you can study music; i'd probably do theory

i dont know much about the video game world, but ask anyway i may have the answer.

for beginner experience, i'd hit up small game/design projects online. student projects, etc
>>
>>17568733
i'm 21 I have natural music talent I can tell. I never took lessons before but I can follow beat, rythm etc. I mainly wanted to know how can I start expanding my horizon for music and make it into a comfortable career. I dont want to be in a band or nothing like that. What really caught my interest was the composers for music in video games. Create a feel for something in a game, make powerful pieces of music that increase a games value and hits the listener hard
>>
>>17568784
>I have natural music talent I can tell. I never took lessons before but I can follow beat, rythm etc.

As someone who has done high level drumcorp and drumline stuff, almost anyone who says this doesn't amount to shit. The ONLY way to get good is to practice. A lot. Composition is completely different than playing an instrument, but I've never known someone to be good at composition without being able to play a few instruments relatively well.
What you should do is
1. Get rid of the attitude that you have a natural talent for music when you've never played anything.
2. Acknowledge that what you are going to try to learn has near infinite depth.
3. Pick an instrument
4. Practice every day, it doesn't really matter how long. Don't kill yourself with it, but aim for at least like a half hour ever day. Most of playing music is mucle memorization and understanding. The fastest way to improve is to practice every day with clear goals about what you are practicing. Don't just dick around or you'll be stuck.
5. Learn music theory and composition. After you've played your instrument for a while this stuff will make a lot more sense.
All of this will happen a lot faster with a teacher
>>
>>17568708
>Good places to start for experience
Not a musician but an animator. Newgrounds is surprisingly good for that sort of shit. You need to be good, otherwise your stuff will get lost in a sea of average shit.

You're not going to get signed up for huge games that way, but a lot of indie/Steam games being produced these days derive from animators/game developers on there. Indie games rely very heavily on background music to build an atmosphere so you'll have a crucial role too.

I hired some cunt to do some basic background music for a game I got greenlighted on Steam. He was great, he freelances for other games now.

Beyond indie intro games (if you're keen on big game development and stuff) then sorry, don't know.
>>
File: cover art.png (1MB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
cover art.png
1MB, 1400x1400px
oh dude i'm make music for indie games. I could help. ust look up Defcat on youtube
>>
>>17568666

I'd contact some of those people on the greenlight project from Steam,offering your services for up and coming indie devs. Be sure to have some samples. Some devs are going to be a lot more professional than others, something might come from it
>>
>>17568666
Well satan, having a feel for music is different than being a musicsian.

Even if you're not gonna become a guitar/piano god pick one of them up. You'll instanly start getting a better feel for music that way. If you want to compose videogame music, maybe get some music making software for your computer. Which isn't hard to find. Make some shit and learn music. When you feel your good enough you contact indie game developer like other anon said and try to go that way.

Good luck with your misson OP.
>>
>>17568968
what's your game?
>>
>>17568784
>i'm 21 I have natural music talent I can tell.
lol
okay not to rain on your parade, BUT, you probably dont lol. And if you're not involved in music in anyway, how would you know you're musically inclined?

anyway, you're optimistic and confident, so thats good, you can apply that eagerness to working hard making up for lost time.
I pretty much outlined what you can do in my original post(>>17568733)
so I wont repeat myself.
end of the day you need to actually learn music.
theory; how to play an instrument, the art of composition....once you have some ability you can start composing works to use as examples, and just apply your skill and put yourself out there.

most muscians' muscians start playing music at a young age, so get started.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.