[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /adv/ i suddenly find myself with a lot of extra time on my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (47KB, 622x439px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 622x439px
So /adv/ i suddenly find myself with a lot of extra time on my hands and i was thinking of picking up trying to learn guitar. Last time i tried life went to hell simultaneously.

Anyway, big question as its the most immediate: what kind of strings do i buy for an acoustic guitar? All of mine are currently rusted through and I can't start trying to learn with no strings now can i. Can i?

Beyond that what else should i look into for a 7 year old, untouched $100 acoustic guitar that was in the dark but not damp basement? I assume i'll have to adjust the neck tension or something and the digital tuner i got still works for everything i've used it on.
>>
I'd start with a lightweight set of steel strings so you don't have to press so hard. the only thing you have to be careful of is that they can break easily, so take it easy when adjusting the tension, especially when you first string it. and you don't want to wail on the strings super hard. stick to more flexible picks or strumming/fingerpicking.

if you find lightweight strings aren't strong enough, then as your fingers regain strength and calluses, you can go to heavier strings.

as for brands, I've always liked d'addarios. ernie balls are pretty nice too. there are probably other good brands that I can't think of at the moment.

as long as the basement wasn't damp, you should be okay. but if you find the guitar doesn't want to tune properly, take it to a music store and see if they can adjust it for you. most obvious sign of this would be if you fiddle with the tuning for a while but can't get it to stay in tune on both open notes and fretted notes. also take a look down the neck before you string it and see how straight the neck is. if it looks visibly bowed, take it in and have someone work on it.
>>
>>17568179
I work with my hands alot so how strong is "strong" for guitars. Already got calluses. Should i still get lightweight strings?

Should i use a pick or fingers? I've played other string instruments and if it required i'd just use my fingers.
>>
>>17568112
>>17568198
First of all, I'd suggest to first remove all the old strings, get a VERY soft sandpaper and remove whatever has accumulated over the years on the fingerboard.

As for what strings you should buy, I'd suggest to start with normal tension, since you're pretty much a beginner, and, afterwards, IMO you should shift to hard tension (extra hard, soft, and extra soft tensions are a big fucking joke, but I guess you could try soft, still not recommended by me). I personally use the D'addario ones, they last at least 2 years before one of them breaks, which is pretty nice, but I still recommend changing them once a year.

As for pick or fingers, it's up to you. If you only want to play your favorite songs on guitar, you're probably gonna use a pick, sometimes maybe your fingers.
>>
>>17568249
Well the strings all rusted through so i've already removed them. Pegs are stored somewhere safe. That's 2 recommendations for d'addario, how much should i expect to pay?
>>
>>17568262
I paid 12€, not really that expensive (the price was actually lower than last year, I think it used to be 14€).

Also, do that thing on the fingerboard if it's dirty, just be very gentle. You'll thank me later.
>>
>>17568279
I've got a 4000 grit honing stone that'll fit between the frets. Think that'll work? Otherwise onhand i have 2000 paper or sponge.
>>
is it classical or western? I prefer nylon (classical).
>>
>>17568302
Classical.
>>
>>17568296
Tbqh I don't really know what a honing stone is, but I'd prefer a sandpaper in its paper form, since you can more versatile on the pressure you apply on the frets (compared to sponges at least). I guess a 2000 grit would do the trick, but again, don't hurry during the clean-up, otherwise you may end up with scratches on the fingerboard.
>>
>>17568330
It's just a stone of a certain grit exactly like sandpaper for honing or sharpening knives.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.