[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I find a career path that is right for me?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: turtle chef.jpg (22KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
turtle chef.jpg
22KB, 400x300px
I need a job. Not a part-time, shitty retail or customer service type job, a real, career starting job.

I have a degree in liberal arts, a masters in public relations and I'm completing a cert in business. I have been working shitty jobs since I was 16 to support myself and make money, but I'm at a loss as to how I'm supposed to figure out what the fuck I want to do.

I currently work a part time customer-service job for cash, but I am getting older and my peers seem to be establishing themselves in their lines of work. My question is, how do I figure out what I should be doing?

I don't know where I fit, I don't know what kind of work would suit me or vice versa, can someone give me some insight in this? It seems like everyone around me has it figured out and is climbing the ladder and I'm still stuck in the same place I was four years ago. Where do I go from here?

TL;DR: I need to start my career, but I don't know how to or what I should do.
>>
>>17567135
>I have a degree in liberal arts, a masters in public relations
did you not network in college at all? guess not
Talk to those peers and see if they can help you out.
still shock you somehow graduated college and didn't ask your professor or advisor to get you in the door with some jobs related to your degree
>>
>>17567147
I have networked in college and honestly it was little help. Because my first degree was in liberal arts, most of my classmates didn't go on to do anything interesting. My masters was somewhat helpful, my professors helped me out to an extent, but it was mostly volunteer work that they could secure me.

My issue isn't just getting any old job, I don't know WHAT I want to do and I don't know how to figure out exactly what to do.
>>
>>17567135
And youll keep not knowing what is it you want if you ask others to tell you what to do? nah i dont have any sound advice but ill be lurkin
>>
>>17567184
Meh, I was hoping that maybe someone with similar life experience would be able to offer some advice on figuring out what to do.
>>
>>17567135

I was in a similar situation, OP. I got stuck working retail jobs until I found a sales job about three years out of college. My best advice is to use your foot in the door at your company to climb the ladder a bit. Most companies offer an in-organization advancement plan of some sorts. Ask your supervisor or HR if there are open positions in other departments that are available - for example, PR or marketing. It sounds like you could get a job in those.

I went from selling kids birthday parties to the head of digital marketing for a company in the span of 3 years, then flipped that experience to become an ad exec for a Fortune 500 company. It's not easy, but it's doable.
>>
>>17567135
The fact you are asking this AFTER getting a degree is concerning.
Consider what sort of job you would like to do
Consider what kind of a role you would like to have in said job
Seek out said job or people who have the job and ask them about it to check that reality works in a similar way to your expectations.

Considering you have a masters in PR I'd consider networking and finding a way into that.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.