[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

not going anywhere in life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1445271741247-1.png (8KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1445271741247-1.png
8KB, 640x480px
>21
>just passed school
>not sure what I wanted to do with my life
>saved up my money
>struggling to hold down a job for more than a few months

I'm not going to ask strangers what I should do with my life, but it would be great to hear how you worked it out
>>
>>17566744
>struggling to hold down a job
why?
>>
>>17566752
its not so simple
I worked hard, but felt that the work I was putting in wasn't rewarded, and that I wasn't respected at work

same story in the last two restaurants I worked in

also I was being under-payed, and my bosses both told me "that's just the way it is"
I found that to be a conveniently self serving view

I have a very high cognitive ability, but I haven't channeled that into anything rewarding or useful, and because I didn't do well in school I'm stuck in unskilled work

It's not easy to be happy carrying plates when you are in my possition
some bitter people would just tell me to suck it up, but that's just them channeling their own dissatisfaction
>>
You're overvaluing yourself.

You see yourself as an intelligent, capable person.

Others see you as a lazy failure who never applied themself.

Perception is the reality that matters. You can control perception to a point, but you actually have to put the work in.

Also, you need to have more realistic expectations about the working world and the consequences of your actions. You're an adult now, the safety nets of childhood are gone.
>>
>>17566814
you're just making a personal attack, go back to /pol/

my question is "how do you work out what you want to do with your life"
and you don't seem to have anything to offer
>>
>>17566847
well thanks for your opinion I suppose
>>
>>17566814
All of this.

>>17566835
I didn't read anon's post as "an attack." Perhaps it's not what you want to head, but it sounds spot on from what I've read.

You claim to have "high cognitive ability", yet you admit you fucked up in school and you're stuck doing crap jobs.

Someone with high cognition would have predicted your situation and would have avoided it. I agree with the other anon, you're over-valuing yourself.

You need some self reflection.
>>
>>17566861
there are plenty of reasons someone doesn't do well at school, I just didn't know enough about the world to value the education I was getting

and I consider this a personal attack because It's off topic

I'm asking about the future, and people are just telling me how I fucked up the past

if you re-read the thread looking for the answer to
"I'm not going to ask strangers what I should do with my life, but it would be great to hear how you worked it out"

you will see that there is no response other than "reflection"
>>
>>17566770
>its not so simple
>I worked hard, but felt that the work I was putting in wasn't rewarded, and that I wasn't respected at work
>same story in the last two restaurants I worked in
are these mostly chain restaurants?
>also I was being under-payed, and my bosses both told me "that's just the way it is"
it sounds like you've complained to them about your pay. maybe in a half-joking way, maybe not. but this implies you have a somewhat close personal relationship, to the point where you feel comfortable enough to bring it up. you shouldn't ever bring it up in this industry, except under special circumstances such as working under a major non-corportate entity.
>I found that to be a conveniently self serving view
you are a number just like all of your colleagues. you giving them a hard time, even when they are being unfair and mistreating people, doesn't mean you showed them that you are right. it mainly shows resistance and lack of compliance. they see no personal things about you as important as what the job is itself.
>I have a very high cognitive ability,
stating this only reassures you of this. anybody op in any thread could say this just to reassure themselves of something.
>but I haven't channeled that into anything rewarding or useful, and because I didn't do well in school I'm stuck in unskilled work
that doesn't mean you can't climb corporate stairs
>It's not easy to be happy carrying plates when you are in my possition
well that's a shit job to begin with. it's an entry-level job. long-term people should be more content than happy.
>some bitter people would just tell me to suck it up, but that's just them channeling their own dissatisfaction
and that's you channeling your own dissatisfaction to begin with. you are projecting something they see as negativity. speaking about problems isn't them seeing you as being in the right, and them in denial about all of that.
>>
>>17566814
this. there is a time not to act out and instead contain yourself. even when you feel it is justifiable to the n'th degree, the novel thing to do is to refrain yourself and your tongue. there are times when to assert and market yourself in harder ways.

>>17566835
i do see it as somewhat of an attack, but op, you have set yourself up for this. if you didn't see these kinds of posts coming your way then You failed way before engaging. apply this logic to your job and there you go. we have a correlation here.

>>17566880
>I just didn't know enough about the world to value the education I was getting
i believe this
>>17566880
>and I consider this a personal attack because It's off topic
disagee.
>>17566880
>I'm asking about the future, and people are just telling me how I fucked up the past
because it has not been addressed systematically and presented to us. the only way to have a story is if we have something about the verb's past.
>>
>>17566881
while there is some truth to what you say it doesn't seem relevant moving forward

it's an awful industry, so I left

I just don't know where to move to

>>17566888
you are entitled to your opinion, but with respect this is my thread and I wont thank anyone who brings me loaves when I ask for fishes

if you think I am asking the question wrong, I'd be interested to know how you would ask it
>>
>>17566744
Picture your ideal life 10 years from now.

What does it look like? Are you married/single? Living in city/suburb/country? What sort of job - office, manual, etc. What hobbies, interests? What kind of car, clothes, toys?

Now work backwards from there. What would have had to happen between now and then to get you there? More education/training? A job history of what sort? What sort of social life? What priorities on spending/saving? And so forth.

Now do it.
>>
>>17566890
>while there is some truth to what you say it doesn't seem relevant moving forward
you want to prove to your work that you are better than how you are treated, yet on here you have not proved yourself the same ways to us. i do see it as being relevant here because i think it needs to be addressed for us all to conclude this more accurately.
>I just don't know where to move to
you have that experience, you need to be more flexible with it so that you don't come to a stop with your income; showing consistent time put in only helps you when facing your next potential employer in any field.

ust don't have that logic where you spend a lot now then save a lot later. always budget.
>>
>>17566897
I don't have a very clear picture

can't imagine settling down, and I've always saved money instead of spending
would prefer a manual job, can't say I've ever had any hobbies that held my interest for long

can't say I like being by myself much, but that being said I don't much like people either
not in the avoidant/shy way, more in the arrogant/disdainful way

>>17566906
well I think all people should treat each other well, I don't think I'm asking anything special and I don't think I should have to proove anything to anyone to be treated with respect
those are the laws I live by, I don't disrespect people because they "havn't prooved themselves" or "arn't good enough"

I saved enough so that I could quit my job if I wanted to, I value that freedom

Ihave a very ordered mind, but seriously struggle with time; people have commented on the aspergic nature of it
so being a waiter was a constant uphill battle for me, doing work that I was both unsuited for I suppose I was never going to feel rewarded for the work I put in

that being said, I re-painted the resteraunt, was 10m early to every shift, only turned down one shift in three months, took work last minute, got great feedback from customers
I don't think anyone would have said I was bad at my job

I don't feel the need to "achieve", it seems a very hollow thing to me
however I really want to build, save and generate; if that distinction makes sense to you
>>
>>17566835
holy shit grow up you little bitch, be a man ffs
>>
>>17566933
>would prefer a manual job

The world will always need plumbers. And electricians, construction workers, bus drivers, postmen, cops, truck drivers, barbers, auto mechanics, firemen, assembly line workers, landscape gardeners, etc etc etc.

All honorable and well-paying professions
>>
>>17566945
I was a builders aid for 9 months on a local project, really enjoyed the work, it is good advice to be sure

however where I am getting qualified means taking an apprenticeship, and they are fraught with issues

at 21 the minimum wage for me is double that of a younger apprentice, many employers simply need a spare pair of hands

and I'm not physically strong, and never have been
going to gym will only help me to a certain extent, and I don't think I could do both a phisical job and work out

I spoke to to the local tafe yesterday and made an appointment for tomorrow

my brains are my strong suit, I'm unsure which trade I would be best suited to
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.