[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planning On Going Out Of Town For College in 2017 - Looking For Adice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: graduation-ducky-hand .jpg (55KB, 597x445px) Image search: [Google]
graduation-ducky-hand .jpg
55KB, 597x445px
Hey guys, I'm a senior in high school, and like all the kids my age, I'm starting to think of my near future as an adult. I'm deciding on going to college to get a degree in computer science because its a healthy industry and I already have a decent amount of experience doing it for school competitions and stuff.

Long story short I have gotten a general feel of the cost of living to attend a college outside of my town and I've made a budget including the essentials plus savings. The issue is that my family is not very wealthy so I will not be getting any financial assistance from them. I'll be attending community college for the first two years as well for cheaper tuition but that means I'll have to find an apartment myself. I'm considering picking up a part time job to work during the school year after election day (I'm a political volunteer) and during the Summer before I move out to build up a large pool of savings.

My only issue is that when I go to the city I'll have no connections and I'll have to rent a place out for myself. Many places require you to show a proof of income or require you to gross a certain amount each month and I'm afraid I won't meet that threshold with living on a shoestring budget. Once I get a place I plan on doing everything I can to find a job to work while I'm there, I do not expect to life off of the savings amassed in an eight month period to last me four years lol.

Do any of you guys have advice for this type of thing? Going to a new city with no connections? Finding a job really fast in a new city? Getting an apartment on your own? I don't want to live with room mates if possible but its not completely off the list. I'm scared because no one in my family has been put in this situation because they all didn't go to college except for my sister who dropped out in her first year.
>>
>long story short
>where's my tldr you cuck
>>
>>17565598
I typed out something 50x longer than this and this was my summary lol. I feel like this was way too long for a tl;dr
>>
>>17565587
is this good idea
>>
tl;dr, I'm going to college, how do I adult, and how do I get/keep enough money to make it through with no financial support?
>>
>>17565659
You're going to have to accept the fact that you're going to be in debt for a good portion of your life. Also just be sure to budget yourself. Set a limit every month and adjust it accordingly. Do you plan on working as you're going to school? You can get loans or apply for scholarships. Hopefully you're a Native American who was kicked off their land. You'll be landing some nice scholarships;)
>>
so your parents can't cosign, I assume?

I would reconsider the roommate thing. I know there's a lot of horror stories but most of the time it's neutral at worst and it can be a very rewarding experience. Certainly worth the savings for someone in your situation. And, I'm sure there's a ton of students at your CC in your same position.
>>
>>17565706
I suppose I will have to until I can get ducks in a row and go off on my own. I have heard horror stories about room mates and that is kind of what scared me off so thanks for the words of encouragement. I didn't completely strike roommates off my list but you know it was kind of a last resort kind of deal.

>>17565677
I've already made a pretty set budget and I'm going to make sure to live by it. Yes I plan on working to pay my bills and getting loans was already a given considering I could never pay for college out of pocket. I'll be speaking with my guidance counselor about scholarships, I'm not sure which I qualify for. Tfw white male. Thanks though hahaha.

>>17565659
That was a pretty half decent tl;dr I reckon.
>>
>>17565706
Me again, I want to ask how does one go about finding a room mate? Should I just go with one of my better friends from high school? He's heavily considering the same college and we're both pretty similar, quiet and we like some of the same things.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.