[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about a gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: ar15.jpg (9KB, 315x156px) Image search: [Google]
ar15.jpg
9KB, 315x156px
First, I'm not on /k/ for a reason. That is obviously a huge group of hard core gun owners. I want something maybe a bit more objective.

Basically, I'm thinking about getting pic related.

I don't know much about guns, but there are some things nagging at me...

>might get banned
>might be fun
>I think the news has effected me like a commercial

I went shooting a few times over the summer and had fun. I have an old 38 revolver that I got from a buddy that owed me money years ago, but it sits in my night side table.

I dunno, I'm playing "what if", and I don't think a rifle will actually protect me in an emergency, but I'd rather have it and not need it...

So, I don't want to go to /k/, because it's all
>SHALL
>Yes you should get one

Random nomal folks of adv, whats your stance on getting an AR15
>>
File: 1466801667755.jpg (452KB, 1973x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1466801667755.jpg
452KB, 1973x2500px
>>17564570
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED
>>
File: 928365.png (96KB, 1153x450px) Image search: [Google]
928365.png
96KB, 1153x450px
Just be sure to not fuck up the gun.
>>
realistically speaking the best way to prevent a burglary is to get a good lock and make sure to always use it, and to leave atleast one light on at night

for the most part getting a gun to protect yourself is really just a hero fantasy, since the responsible thing to do would be to keep it disassembled and locked up in a safe rather than sitting by your bed where it could be more easily stolen. But if it'll make you feel better then sure buy it.

The only thing to consider is price, guns as a hobby are unbelievably overpriced it's absolutely obscene.
>>
>>17564787

Yeah, I figure it will run me $1000.

I agree about hero fantasy. I'm genuinely not concerned about crime or civil unrest, but the idea that I might not be able to buy one in the future has a"scarcity" effect on me I think.

Also, /k/ looks like they have huge fun with them, but my revolver sits unused. So, I'm not sure if it will end up in the back of my closet with my golf clubs and real doll, ya know.
>>
>>17564798
take into consideration that most people on /k/ don't even own guns

and guns aren't going anywhere, if Sandy Hook where a deranged gun toting madman slaughtered dozens of cute white children for literally no reason did nothing to bring about gun control then absolutely nothing will. Anyone who talks about how when hillary is elected she's gonna take yer guns is just being a paranoid idiot.
>>
>>17564798
I mean, if it's just for self-defense, then you don't really need an AR-15. If you live alone, I'd imagine a shotgun would be fine, and it would be cheaper.

As far as an AR being scarce, I don't know why you'd care. An AR-15 is no different than other semi-autos and there are guns that are much more fun to shoot. I'd imagine /k/ loves them for the tacticool military look, even though they are fun

A bolt action/surplus rifle and shotguns are also fun and cheaper.

You'd be better off saving your money if you're not serious about shooting.
>>
File: 1424280364471.png (161KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1424280364471.png
161KB, 500x376px
>>17564823
>sandy hook
>>
Guns hold their value well.

Get it, use it or find you don't use it keep if you do, sell later if you don't.

Just store it safely when it's not in use.
>>
Shotgun for home defense, rifle for fun. An AR can be a money pit because there are nearly limitless aftermarket parts you can put on it. If you're asking about morality, then don't be perturbed by rabid leftists who will call you a murderer. A gun sends a small piece of metal along an ordered trajectory and that's it. I'd get something different than an AR for target shooting probably but that's just personal preference go have fun man.

P.S. sporting clays is extremely fun and done with a shotgun (not reeeaaally the kind that you'd use for home def though). You should see if you have a course in your area.
>>
Get a Mossberg Maverick 88 for less than $200 if you just want something for home defense, It's what I decided on after researching it a bit the past week.
>>
>>17564798
You can build an AR for 550.
>>17564787
>for the most part getting a gun to protect yourself is really just a hero fantasy
>for the most part getting a blender to blend fruits is really just a smoothie fantasy
No responsible gun owner WANTS to shoot people. Its just a reality that as Americans we have the right to protect ourselves and not rely on the government to be there watching over us like a nanny.
It's also plainly evident that having a gun also serves its purpose as a sporting utility and possibly a hunting tool.
Take your Freudian theories elsewhere you fucking commie.
>>
>>17564570
Do it. I recently got a rifle myself for the first time. It makes you learn about more about them and they are more fu to shoot in my opinion. Also exercise your 2nd amendment rights.
>>
>>17565426
have you ever shot an intruder?

do you know anyone who has?
>>
I personally would not recommend an AR for a first time gun purchase. I owned one and while it was amusing for a time it just felt rather...blah overall. Not much soul to it. YMMV, but they can easily turn into money pits and keeping them fed can get rather expensive. Personally I'd suggest an inexpensive (3-500), reliable bolt action. I feel they're much better for learning fundamentals.

Also that .38 in your drawer? Make sure you actually take it to the range every few months and put a hundred rounds down range. A weapon you don't know how to use is more dangerous to you than it is to anyone else. Heck, even on my best days I'm lucky to score in the mid 80s, and I've put thousands of rounds through my .45. And that's in a controlled, relaxed situation where I can take my time.

As for actually owning and practicing with a firearm it instills discipline, improves hand eye coordination, improves balance, provides moderate physical exercise, and helps with focus.

Most gun ranges/clubs will have the option to rent a weapon and try it out. Look around your area, talk to them, see what they have. Heck, talk to people in gun stores. Get their advice.
>>
I mean there are a lot o guns out there with a variety of purposes. For 1k you can get a Maverick 88 a psa ar build and have enough leftover for a cheap cc pistol like a pf9 from kel tek
>>
>>17564570
The fuck you need an assault rifle for tho??
>>
If you don't know much about guns but still want a rifle , I'd get just a standard .22lr or something similar. Ar15s are over hyped and imo not a good place to start. They won't get banned. The news is sensationalist.

Anyway, get a cheap rifle you can really learn with. Disassemble then Reassemble, practice zeroing in your sights(if applicable), clean it, maintain it, take it somewhere you can practice breath control.
>>
>>17567694
This.
OP, unless you live in a rural area I would get a pistol instead.
>>
File: 1473562766278.jpg (66KB, 470x595px) Image search: [Google]
1473562766278.jpg
66KB, 470x595px
>>17567694
>assault rifle
>>
I am just going to say it; I am in support of guns, and against a lot of ban attempts.

With that said, you should get one if you can afford it. No reason not to if you want it for home defense desu. Just don't empty the entire clip into someone and wonder why the cops look at you suspiciously.
>>
>>17567694

There is no need, just looks fun, and honestly, kinda trendy.
>>
>>17566129

Yeah, you are hitting on my main hold up.

I have a gun that I never shoot. I went with a buddy who has an AR, and it was really fun, but the fun may have been in shooting and hanging with buddy, not the actual AR.

Kinda need to think about this a bit more.
>>
>>17567694
The fuck you think an assault rifle is tho

>it has shoulder thing that goes up
>>
>>17564570
I own 4 AR-15 variants left to me by my late father. He modified them heavily and despite being clean as a whistle and upgraded, they usually had problems and jammed at the range. I'm going to sell them except for my AR pistol, which is one of my favorites to shoot.

I'd buy an AK. That's my next rifle purchase. You might also want to look into a 9mm carbine.
>>
>>17568449
>Selling guns that jam instead of fixing the problem

Probably best you just turn them all in
>>
>>17565426
>>17564570
I built mine for $450 when PSA was having a sale. If you want one just for fun and maybe home defense get a hipoint or build an ar15, literally idiot proof, just watch a YouTube video.
>>
>>17564570
Go to /k/ you'll get proper advice and similar the politics.
>>
>>17564570
Gun owner here. I think you should get one. They are fun but they're also a nice tool should you ever need one. Plus AR15's are some of the most modular guns around, you can do a lot with them. Depending where you live you can hunt with them. Here in Washington state you can't hunt with .223 though so make sure to check with your state's laws.

You said you enjoyed shooting, that in itself is enough reason to get one. They're just fun man, shooting is an enjoyable hobby. You can even go into precision shooting or other sorts of competitions. I've heard 3 gun is cool but don't know much about it.

Don't let the media influence you too much. I'm in the minority that is pro-gun but also for increased regulation but I don't think for a fucking minute that guns are the problem. Insane people, criminals, and irresponsible merchants are the problem.
>>
File: Handgun_collection_m.jpg (212KB, 500x337px) Image search: [Google]
Handgun_collection_m.jpg
212KB, 500x337px
>>17564570
>not going to the bored dedicated to this kind of thing
for all the jokes at their expense, /k/ is one of the more "normal" boards and are pretty level headed and helpful
they have threads, daily, about this kind of thing and can give you a better answer.
Whenever I recomend a gun, I tell people to follow the three C's
>comfort
is this something youre comfortable with. Not just emotionally but like, you actually like the way it feels and shoots. Iit wont be broken in like a pair of shoes. If it doesnt feel right, look at others
>cost efficient
you dont need to drop thousands on a gun, especially a first one. Do some price checking around stores to get a figure of what youre looking at, put aside a few hundred more for accesories
>common sense
not in the sense of "DO YOU NEEEEEED IT" because thats up to you, but think practically over fun. I had a guy once buy a .44 magnum as his first gun. He paid way to much, he lived in an apartment so god help him if he ever used it, and he couldt shoot it worth a damn. He wanted it and refused something "boring", it was his choice but IMO he made it difficult for himself

Most importanlty check your local laws to see what you can get and what you can do with them. Dont be afraid to go to a gun store and flat out say you need help, if theyre good they'll talk your ear off and help you. they love that shit. Dont panic buy either, ive been through too many and see a lot of people get taken advantage of
>>
>>17564787
>hero fantasy
must be nice living a fantasy world of your own
>>
>>17569068
what do you mean?
>>
>>17569138
Not him, but home burglaries in the USA aren't as much of a peaceful field day as you described.

If they don't find what they are looking for (electronics and jewelry to re-sell) they will take out their frustration on you.

This is why a pistol or automatic rifle is useless. The former has shitty spread, the latter has less stopping power.

Go for a shotgun for self defense. Back in university a nigger invaded my Mandarin speaking boss's home, where his non English speaking elderly mother and wife and 3 week old baby were. Guy got aggressive not finding valuables, he shot the degenerate twice. Robber died. No lawsuit, no punishment for my Chinese friend. He loves the USA, loves that he had both the right to start his own business, his wife could start her own commission work, and they could fend off thieves.

Then again, despite her growing up in poor Chengdu province before Shanghai took off, they never experienced this violent of attempted theft and home invasion before.
>>
>>17569168
>Go for a shotgun for self defense
>muh chuh-chok
>>
>>17569138
im not saying everoyne needs a gun
im not saying everoyne should have a gun if they dont want one
im not saying having a gun gives you the right to kill

what I am saying is that there are bad people out there. In every country, in every culture, in every aspect of society. We have a right to firearms in the US and some form of self defense laws with them in each state (for the most part). I dont think its fair or wiese to tell people
>youre fine just lock the door, it probably wont even happen to you and if it does just let them take your tv
like ive heard before. I think its important to at least entertain the thought of having a gun for protection and knowing how to use it, its ignorant to tell people otherwise
>>
>>17564570
If I owned that, I'd be paranoid of people trying to break into my house to steal it.
>>
>>17569168
question, how did this intruder enter the house? Did it happen to be through an unlocked front/back door?
>>
This heavily depends on what kind of people your surroundings consists of
I know I won't need a gun, even a knife at this point is an overkill. People are too lazy to rob you, but also too reckless to pick a pretty nasty fight in a group because of boredom.

My philosophy is not to judge people based on what makes them happy, as long as they keep it adequate. I personally don't like guns, but I'm not ever going to stop someone from buying one, but I will probably call the cops if someone starts to endanger people with his/her behaviour. Be safe, stay in school and do drugs in the privacy of your home.
>>
>>17564570
If you buy one and it gets banned then that means you just have an extremely valuable gun that you can sell for ridiculous amounts of money. Just like machine guns that are grandfathered.
>>
>>17566059
You're literally asking him to commit the anecdotal fallacy
>>
>>17564570
Someone gave you their old gun so you put your prints on it and keep it in your possession!
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.