[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A Jobless Desert

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: Heroes never die.jpg (91KB, 509x651px) Image search: [Google]
Heroes never die.jpg
91KB, 509x651px
How do you deal with living somewhere where even the "entry level" positions want 1-3 years of experience, multiple references, and certifications? The places I can work at never get back to me either.
>>
You realise that you're not above working wageslave jobs and you get one so you can build up the experience and references you need, and you get the certifications you need.
>>
Don't wait for them to call you for a follow-up, call them.
>>
>>17562138
I'm applying for wageslave. I'm talking about fast food and retail.

I'm not even qualified for warehousing in my area because certification is a thing.

>>17562139
What about all the jobs where they just tell you to apply online and wait?
>>
>>17562141
>I'm talking about fast food and retail.
You're talking bullshit when you say that fast food and retail requires 1-3 years of experience, multiple references, and certifications
>>
>>17562143
>the places I can work at never get back to me

It's one of the joys of living in a commuting city.
>>
>>17562161
Why can't you commute?
>>
>>17562198
Because
>no jobs near me
>need car to get job
>need job to get car

Or

>need job to move
>need to move for job

Although I would move in a heartbeat if I could. My girlfriend has a car and she'd be open to it since we're both in the same boat since her internship is over at the same time the company got bought out so they just threw her under the bus.
>>
>>17562215
>what is public transport
>>
>>17562218
When I say commute I mean commuting 1hr by car.

Socal baby. It's a great place.
>>
>>17562267
That's nice, but you haven't answered the point I made about public transport
>>
>>17562276
Okay so the typical worker her commutes about 20-30 miles which can take anywhere between 1-2.5 hours on bus.

However, I don't mind this. I'd just be sitting on my ass doing nothing anyways, but this doesn't settle well with the employers who put owning a car as a requirement
>must have personal transportation

Try to understand I'm not making excuses. I will work retail, fast food, day labor, janitorial, ANYTHING.

But it's been months without anything. Well not exactly. I interviewed at a place and they all loved me and then the higher ups decided that all temps should be cut. Surprisingly this meant I would've been hired full time, but then they got a new manager who said fuck this guy we don't need anyone right now.
>>
>>17562319
become a prostitute
>>
>>17562324
Male. Would rather not suck dicks if I can help it.
>>
>>17562143
Where the hell have you been the last few years?

Ever since the recession it's been like this. With all the layoffs, some overqualified workers had to start working at minimum wage joints to make ends meet. These businesses got too used to have decent people with educations, and, knowing that there were many of these people out there, made such things requirements.
>>
>>17562337
I've been in school like a good little boy who takes the advice of his elders. My loans aren't huge, but I do have shit stem degree (math).

Is there anyway to relocate to somewhere with better jobs? I don't even own a whole lot and could sell what I won't take.
>>
Ems is hiring.
>>
>>17562405
What is ems?
>>
>>17562134

Get a Job at McDonalds or as a food delivery driver. Work your ass off for that company for 1+ year.

No lie. Delivery driver, especially for a small business resteraunt checks all the boxed.

Do you interact with customers? Oh yeah. On the phone and at their homes.

Quality control of a product? Fuck me, if you forget the fucking KETCHUP bitches want the whole order refunded.

Responsible handling of company money? Definitely. Possibilities for theft abound, and your standard delivery driver can be responsible for over 1,000 dollars in sales if they work a double shift.

Speaking sales, do you have to sell product? Fuck yeah you do. Every day. Sure you don't want desert? They are delicious. Did you know we deliver beer? We do! Bottles and Growlers!

Swallow your pride Anon. Entry level is entry level.
>>
>>17562713
That's actually one of the jobs I'm holding out for. I applied to a food truck service (not an actual truck). Haven't heard back but that was recent.
>>
"Requirements" for entry level jobs, or even early professional jobs (meaning not your standard retail/foodservice) thing are just guidelines. You're doing it wrong if you're letting them hold you back from applying.

That's really just a list of the shit we'd like to have in a perfect world, but know we can't in most cases.

Source: just spent two months trying to hire someone for a marketing job that "requires" fivd years of experience. Ended up hiring some kid fresh out of school.
>>
>>17562818

Go on Yelp. Search restaurants that offer delivery in a 15 mile radius of your home. Walk into a restaurant that strikes your fancy and tell the manager on duty you want to work.

90% chance you are hired. I make 6 bucks an hour as a delivery driver, but each shift averages around 30 dollars in tips. Tonight (a monday) I made 65 dollars in tips plus 6 dollars per hour for 6 hours. That is 17 bucks an hour, plus resume checked boxes. Admittedly, that is a good shift. But its a rare day in hell I don't walk out with 20 bucks after 6 hours. Which is 9 bucks an hour. Average with hell yeah shifts and the meh and it comes out to around 12 bucks an hour.

You just have to swallow your pride.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.