[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to not get demoralized when applying for jobs? >graduated,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 58898385_p0_master1200.jpg (690KB, 985x812px) Image search: [Google]
58898385_p0_master1200.jpg
690KB, 985x812px
How to not get demoralized when applying for jobs?

>graduated, no internships, no job in advance
>not much job experience, didn't work during school
>supposed to be a good degree with easy access to decent jobs
>moved to new city with good economy
>3 months, no job
>depression kicking back in hard
>applying to fucking barista positions
>working with two recruiting agencies, no word back yet
>applying to tons of positions, rarely even get an interview
>when I do have an interview I have zero energy, probably look like crap, can't even fake it well
>have an issue of voice getting rough and painful if I speak too long
>no car, transit user, limited in range of where I can apply, city is more sprawled than I anticipated
>money slowly running out

Problem 1: temp job: even if I apply to barista/restaurant/cuntomer service positions, I have no experience. If I include the degree I'm overqualified, if I exclude it there's a huge gap

Problem 2: How can I amp myself up for interviews when I can barely make it through the day without thinking of suicide? Should I try one of those stupid energy drinks or something? I'm not a bright and perky person, how do I fake it?

Problem 3: They keep asking about things I've done or accomplished or times I showed leadership or other bullshit, and I have zero work xp so I never have. The fuck do I answer? I try to fluff up stuff I've done or lie a bit but it sounds pathetic and lackluster. I'm also a horrible liar. i'm a recent grad for fucksake, what do they want?
>>
>>17560719
I dropped out and had a bunch of jobs anyway; here is how I did it: the same way you'd seduce somebody. Explain to them not why you want A job, but why you want THAT job. Why THAT job makes your heart pound. Etc. You have to do background research on the job and all, and figure out the reasons why it actually makes you excited, which you don't say but which pep you up (hey, I like free coffee, and I like making creative drinks), but it... well, it works. Also don't cover up your degree; it's something you should be proud of. And finally remember that for every 100 applications in a lousy economy you get one callback, and for every 10 interviews you may get one job offer. This is what my dad said, and he has a Ph.D in astrophysics and around 15 years teaching experience.
>>
>>17560719
OP don't lie. You have accomplished graduating college. That is one heck of a qualification. Also please only apply to jobs where you won't mind working there or at least enjoy the work some of the time. Believe me when I tell you foodservice is hell. What was your degree in anyway?
>>
File: 1473597114348.jpg (93KB, 755x696px) Image search: [Google]
1473597114348.jpg
93KB, 755x696px
Just lie.

Worked for me. No seriously it.

>Got a ba in economics but dropped out in year 3.
>Had no debt because of scholariships and I was working while going to school
>Just hated the atmosphere and knew economics wasn't for me.
>Worked construction for a full year and was being paid okay
>Lied about finishing my ba in economics
>Lied about volunteering at a revenue agency
>Lied about being part of the university economic department
>Lied about internship
>Got 3 interviews
>Nail 2 of them by making sure my story had no holes but the last one bombed
>Got a great job with full benefits
>Worked there for 5 years with salary increases almost each year
>New management comes in asking for background of all employee
>Quit and get another job doing the same thing
>>
>>17560719
I faced a similar problem. The difference was, I didn't graduate (dropped out with 80 Credits).
After a year of applying for jobs I became "hungry." When you become "hungry" you will resort to anything to feed yourself, especially lying.

In temp jobs, don't include your degree if you feel that it will harm your chances. Unless there is a lot of competition you should be able to get a job in these positions.

The best way to amp yourself, especially when you're "hungry" is to tell yourself that "after this I can eat." This may gave you some motivation.
Otherwise groom yourself. If you look good, you feel good.
I use to be the same way after two years I went in for counseling and was told to take on a new mind set. Find the silver lining. Sure the world sucks but almost everything and situation has something positive.

Leadership? Just say you were apart of the student senate or the Boy Scouts of America. Hell saying you took charge in group projects during school is a valid answer.

To become a better liar, convince yourself that your lie is the truth.
>>
>>17560782
>>17560775

So just spam apps? How do I get excited about working when it sounds like crap? Some people enjoy working...I'm not one of them. I mean you're giving good advice but you may as well ask me to get excited about shoveling shit. I guess I can do the numbers game, I've been trying to get my app numbers per day up. I'll try to see the upsides of the company I guess.

Should I be emailing the hr departments of the companies to see if they looked at my ap? Some resources say that annoys them so it's conflicting advice.

>>17560791
>being part of the university economic department

You mean working for the uni or a student club? Should I put the student clubs I was in on my resume?

I don't know how to compose a solid lie about something I haven't experienced and don't know what it's like.
>>
>>17560820

>You mean working for the uni or a student club?

Yes. But I went back to my university, did some snooping around to find the economic department and asked what usual activities they did. Worked a story on some events they did and made sure to bring it up in the interview.

> Should I put the student clubs I was in on my resume?

Of course if it is relevant to the job you are applying.

>I don't know how to compose a solid lie about something I haven't experienced and don't know what it's like.

Do what I did. Double and triple check your story and what you are going to say. Make sure the facts align with the lie and go back to the university to check. Get a friend to be your reference number and brief him on everything.

Constant repetition is your best bet, until you have it down.

Understand anon you tried playing it the normal way of applying and it got you nothing. I was like you until I just go fed up with the lack of credentials and re worked everything. Have a general idea of what you are trying to push to the employers and rework the story so nothing is held back. I haven't had a single problem once I was hired about any of my stories once I got hired.
>>
>>17560820
No dude no. I found out I like making bubble tea and being a musician/deejay/sound engineer. I have talents in a lot of areas and I enjoy those things. What hobbies do you have? What do you enjoy? What kind of stuff makes your lazy hours fun? Apply to jobs that have at least some of those things in them. Ideally, apply to jobs which are stepping stones to a career - the career you desire most. What is it anyway?
>>
>>17560835

Well alright, I can try it. You're right, I've done it the honest way and it got me jack. I'm gonna fluff everything up and put in some believable lies. That few months of volunteering just became two years. Do I know how to x? Damn straight I do, (youtube taught me.) Used it all the time. Goddamned expert. Fuck them.

I guess I have one friend. I'll say I helped him with a small project or something. How likely are they to actually call and grill people? I'll give him a heads up but he's pretty busy. I also have a family member who launched a small business, I'll say I helped them with the startup paperwork, research how to actually do that, and let them cover for me.

So tired of HR's bullshit.
>>
>>17560853

My hobbies are drawing, writing novels, and hiking. Not really applicable. Accounting. I'm gonna half-lie and say my hobby is researching investment strategies. I mean I lurk /biz/ and read a few books, close enough. I'll say I do art commissions on the side. There, sales experience.
>>
>>17560858

>How likely are they to actually call and grill people?

They didn't call my references up actually, they liked me enough after the phone interview to push straight to a one on one and soon after hired me.

If they do, just let him know that you need a favour and will owe him if the situation is ever reversed.

HR's are brainless idiots who do a 30 second scan and put your resume on the pile if you get passed the keyword check. I am sure I don't have to tell you but make sure the keywords in the job description is there on your resume. You should be getting interviews in no time, just nail the interviews and I promise you will be set.

Use the frustration of the constant rejections as a driving point to get whatever job you want. Oh and in case you do get the job, CHECK the salaries of all the jobs you interview for. When they ask for salary negotiations don't be stingy. Put out a number and then say this is common salary in the area and you think it is fair. Start at high and then negotiate down.
>>
>>17560889
>Start at high and then negotiate down.

I won't get turned down for that? I've been lowballing it a bit. Alright I'll jack it up. I'll say I checked with my classmates and this is what they got starting.

Sounds great man. Honest people just get screwed over so fuck it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.