[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Landlord acting bizarre about electricity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: LandlordHeading.jpg (55KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
LandlordHeading.jpg
55KB, 500x350px
Any anons have issues with renting / landlords before? I moved into a new home, and I've never seen anything with electricity issues like I've seen here.

The landlord owned this house previously before us. He shut off the electricity here on the 1st without even notifying us that he was attempting to do that. We found out about it coincidentally after calling the realtor on the 2nd. We called the power company and they couldnt come to the 6th, so we were without power the first two days we moved in. The landlord has tried to say it was our responsibility and will not prorate us for the two days without electricity. The odd thing is he never shut off other utilities like water and gas.

This is where it gets really fishy. We have two freezers and cannot connect them in the garage. So our food almost got ruined. After this, we discovered that you cannot connect two electrical appliances into the same socket without the circuits tripping. I'm wondering if I'm going to have any issues with using a single high powered appliance like a computer.

With all this said, I've never seen anything so bizarre my entire life. I can't think of any reason why they're so crazy about monitoring or blocking out electricity. Has anyone ever dealt with anything remotely similar?
>>
>>17557853
talk to a lawyer, this may be grounds to withhold rent
>>
>>17557853

laws are different about that depending where you are.

where iz you?
>>
>>17558066

California.

He refused to prorate us for the two days that we were without electricity due to his negligence.

I don't know why, but because he left other appliances alone like gas and water, I have a very slight suspicion that this guy has purposely rewired the house to purposely prevent someone from using a lot of electricity, like preventing this house from being turned into an indoor marijuana grow house. I can't think of any other reason for these extremely strange modifications.
>>
This is most interesting
>>
Update : I looked online for solutions since my idiot landlord is ignoring my call. I reset some circuit breakers in the panel and shut off and reset the electricity and all is okay. Apparently when the power company turns the power on, it can cause circuits to work funny. So to anyone who has funky circuits do a test yourself like i did. It's the idiot owners fauly anyways since he shouldn't have shut the power off to begin with. Strange experience. Thanks /adv/ and have a good day! Good riddance what a stressful move this has been.
>>
>>17557853
In chicago renters have to activate electricity and pay for it themselves under their name for the most part. I'm assuming he thought that it was standard protocol to shut off electricity when he moved out
>>
>>17557853
Need more information. Is electricity included in the rent? If not, it is your responsibility to go to the electric company and start the billing in your name, or else he gets billed.

A rental has to, by law, be "habitable" and technically he can't charge you rent if he cut off the electricity if it's included in the rent. But 3 or 4 days may not be worth fighting over.

Plug the appliances into separate outlets.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.