[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Death Anxiety

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1465511088998.jpg (421KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1465511088998.jpg
421KB, 1920x1080px
Christ for the past week I haven't been able to sleep. All I can think about is death, my death, how nothing I do matters, how I can't stop my death, and etc. Been trying to look for advice or a book that will make me just be able to stop thinking about it.

I have been reading online, but nothing has been helping. "Do you remember before you were born? Same thing. Death isn't anything to be afraid of." Bullshit. I am conscious now and I want to always be conscious. The fear of completely not being scares me. The thought of being 80 and in bed slowly going to sleep knowing I won't wake up scares me.

God I wish I was religious and could just pretend there was an afterlife waiting for me. I never use to think about this. This past week for whatever reason it hit me hard and I can't seem to handle anything.
>>
Why do you think we invented god in the first place?

Man is mortal, nothing you can do will change your fate.
>>
Everyone dies, just try to enjoy this shit as much as you can.I think every atheist has gotten death anxiety before and desu its normal if he goes on for more than 2 months go to a doctor.
>>
>>17555585
My death anxiety didn't last longer than a week.

At the end of it I felt more motivated, and at least these days I work harder to distract myself from the inevitability of the end usually work my career and hobbies.

That's all anyone can really do.
>>
>>17555542

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qty7IP8wlXM
>>
>>17555542

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qty7IP8wlXM
>>
You should read AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI this book changed life of many people including Steve Jobs...
I can't force you to read this but i highly recommend it...AND BTW EXISTENCE OF AFTERLIFE IS SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN....
>>
>>17555542
>The thought of being 80 and in bed slowly going to sleep knowing I won't wake up scares me.
It doesn't scare me. It sounds peaceful! I won't have to wake up to the fucking alarm clock and go to work. What's the problem?

Remember that death is merciful. Living forever would be fucking shit.
Thankfully, we ain't immortal. Eventually, it all ends and we get to rest for a little while.
After that, who knows what happens. Remember the marcus aurelius quote: "Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back".
>>
>>17556462

I would love to live forever. I would get to see the Moon. I would see the point where AI takes care of things for us and we can live lives doing what we want to do.

The unknowing is what is killing my mind,
>>
i used to have a lot of trouble with this specific issue, i still do sometimes but its rare.
just let yourself feel dead, stop caring. it's all overthinking anyways.
consciousness is great, but if you always think about how you'll eventually lose that feeling of being conscious, you'll never get to enjoy and use it.
>>
My fear isn't non-existence, but the social implications death brings. Now I have to suddenly "make the best out of it" even though it's never going to be better/different. At 60, you'll still think the same as you do now, only with more knowledge and experience.
My whole life revolves around staying alive and reproducing, and maybe also acquiring as much pleasure as I can, although that's only a recent trend in civilisation (hedonism is an enlightenment idea)
>>
Search on yt some vidoes of Allan Watts, especially Live Fully Now or You're It.

It's probably not gonna change much, perhaps nothing at all, as it hasn't with me, but he's got some points.

PS OP do you read philosphy or other works that belong to existentialism ?
>>
>>17557525

I do not. I will be the first to admit I am not the brightest person in the world. I have tried listening to Allan Watts but he seems so far above me.
>>
>>17557555
Really? I recommended that because that's pretty much as simple as it could get in my opinion.

It's too bad you don't read that kind of stuff because that's pretty much the only I see way to overcome the inevitabilty of death (i.e. understanding).

Also I thought that the not-so-bright people, as you humbly described yourself, don't have this kind of fear towards greater things than us, like death.
>>
>>17557563

I just watched both those videos and I honestly don't see the point. I understand I just need to live in the now, but that does nothing to sooth the fear of inevitability. This isn't a cancer or a sickness I can rest assured that later on in a year another problem will come up and I can worry about that. If I am 10 or 100 I always have to have the unchooseable fear of not being.
>>
Tthe fear of nonexistence when you really examine it is incredibly pointless. Leaving aside the whole nonexistence = no suffering angle, the truth is that you and I don't even exist now, not in the way you think.

Your identity is just an idea, consciousness is not continuous. Say you transplanted someone else's "conciousness" into your body with all of your memories and physical properties intact. What would be different? Absolutely fucking nothing. In fact, they would still be you. How do you know the conscious you from 2 seconds ago is the same as the one occupying your body in this exact moment? You don't.

Also, 100% of the atoms in your body are recycled within a year. You aren't even physically you anymore. The old you has died and has been replaced by a replication.

Regardless know that all organisms maintain homeostasis, you will get over this feeling eventually. All strong emotions become dulled over time, even existential fear.
>>
>>17555542
does it distract you from accomplishing things?
>>
>>17557912

I can't sleep. I am not eating much. I mostly spend my time attempting to do things and failing at it. I just spent all of today cleaning the baseboards in my apartment, tightening screws in my cabinets, and even scrubbing all the grout in my kitchen. Just so I can try to keep my mind off of things.

>>17557884

I can't agree on the homeostasis. How does it account for sever mental illnesses and disorders? PTSD and the like?
>>
>>17558131
An existential crisis is not a mental disorder or illness, it's just emotions.
>>
don't worry op if time is infinite and assuming the heat death doesnt happen then maybe all the atoms that make you will come together again in 1000000000000000000000000 years and you will live forever or some shit
>>
>>17555542
LSD has been shown to cure end of life anxiety.
>>
>>17558425

I don't have friends and even less ways to get a hold of drugs.

>>17558139

When will this end though? I can't stop breathing heavy. My mind is racing all the time.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.