[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anxiety when doing things alone.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: computer.gif (1019KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
computer.gif
1019KB, 500x373px
Why am I unable to enjoy doing things by myself like watching movies, tv shows, playing single-player games, or watching anime? If I do these things with other people, I can focus on them and enjoy them, whether the other person(s) are talking with me or staying quiet the entire time, I feel comfortable, focused, and feel good that I did them afterwards, even discussing them and looking forward to new ones. However, if I'm doing these things alone, I get really anxious, I feel like I'm being held down, and need to get away from them. I'd need to take breaks every 10 minutes, and even within those 10 minutes I find it extremely hard to concentrate, having to rewind a movie constantly to get what was said because I'm unable to concentrate on it for the first 3 or so times.

Anyone have an idea on what is wrong with me? I'd really like to be able to enjoy things like these on my own, I'd be able to view and play a lot more, and have so much more fun.
>>
Maybe you're an extrovert?
>>
>>17553370
I'm a lonely person myself and I've had no friends for most of my teenage to adult. However I've noticed that I put the most hours into multiplayer games and spend most of my time talking to dudes on 4chan, I have little motivation to finish TV series, most single-player games, watch movies or anime myself. The same went for my study habits, when I had a friend in college(he dropped out of my life now) I was super motivated to do study together and made extra efforts to learning things when I did them in a group because I was helping someone else. When I study by myself I have to do certain techniques to keep myself in it.

I do find that when I can sympathize with characters I tend to be more involved in the story/game, maybe you just need to get into things that are more character driven.
>>
Can't say I have the same issue as you. I tend to get anxious and guilty for enjoying the things as you listed when alone. I guess because I feel a social setting is productive versus on doing these thing on my own. It tends to become a bit cumbersome to maintain attention throughout. I'm more or less restless because I feel I should be doing something productive.

Then again, I'm in a really rough situation in life right now, so any form of solo enjoyment tends to eat at me.

I wish I knew how to help. I was thinking about making some sort of blog that requires me to list my experiences and thoughts about whatever movie/show I watched or game I played. I don't know, haha.
>>
I'm the exact same way. I am by no means an extrovert though. I only have a couple friends that I like to play video games and watch anime with. I have extremely high standards for people and haven't made new real friends since middle school.

But yeah, I can't anxious if I play a game for more than like 30 minutes. Feel like I could and should be doing anything else.

No advice; I don't know what's wrong with me either.
>>
>>17553398
>I was super motivated to do study together
Meant to be "to do study sessions together" but "to study together" sounds better.
>>
File: 1410226217460.gif (931KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1410226217460.gif
931KB, 500x281px
>>17553378
I never viewed myself as too extroverted, sort of inbetween.

>>17553398
You might be right about the deeply sympathizing thing, but if I only played games or watched things with characters like that my options would be very limited.

>>17553408
That is exactly how I feel, like I'm wasting time, and feel like things are more productive if I do them with people. Though I know I should be able to enjoy these things solo.

Also, I'm in a bad place right now that's why I want to figure this out because I want to be alone, but can't even do these simple things alone to heal myself.

>>17553412
I'm really surprised by these responses, I didn't think it was this common. I hope someone comes along with an answer for us.
>>
Are you guys all INFP?
>>
>>17553447
>>17553398 here
Yes, and male so life is miserable.
>>
OP you are not alone, I've had the exact same problem for years.
Solo mindless entertainment makes me feel anxious and unfulfilled. I'd rather shitpost on 4chan than play a game by myself b/c at least i'm talking to people, making a difference in others' lives, learning new things, etc.

I think it's just plain ol' depression in the root cause of it. I don't consider myself an extrovert by ANY means, but I still have your same problem. In fact I dislike most people.
>>
I have this same problem and told my psychiatrist about it. Long story short he told me that I seek others' approval and that's part of how I get my enjoyment in life. I was just born with the mindset that I want to get noticed by other people to affirm my self worth, and there's nothing I can really do about it without lying to myself.

Dunno if that helps or even if I totally buy it.
>>
>>17553517
How was that supposed to help you?

He spent an entire session to just tell you that you're an attention/approvalwhore.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.