[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does making friends get easier in university?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

Does making friends get easier in university?
>>
It's harder than in highschool, but people tend to have an easier time finding others to hang out with because of circumstances and experience.

Most people find some friends in college, but they tend to drift apart after they finish it. Friends made in highschool and earlier tend to stick, at least that's how it happens for most people where I live.
>>
It gets harder.
>>
>>17551155
It depends. The environment is very different, but that can make things easier or harder, depending on the person. Tell us more, OP: what do you find challenging now?
>>
File: 1472418511214.png (728KB, 1165x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1472418511214.png
728KB, 1165x1075px
>>17551155
>harder

its way easier

I literally made a friend by talking about the song she was playing

you guys are so autistic kek
>>
The first two months of university are much easier to make friends during than the entirety of your high school years, imo. After all, almost everyone goes into college without knowing anyone. You can also join clubs to meet persons with common interests.
>>
>>17551227
In highschool you'd be friends with most people in your class simply because you were in the same class. Unless you were that kid.
>>
>>17551217
I don't meet many people at all who are similar to me and I think I'm scared of getting close to people sometimes.
>>
>>17551251
You don't need to meet people that are similar.

Your differences are what make you interesting.
>>
>>17551231
Not OP, but is it still relatively easy to make friends if you join in the second semester? I'm not nearly as recluse
>>
>>17551271
I would go the club route, or hang out on your campus's quad. Sit outside and read, then maybe chat up a person who sits near you.

Just remember that the first time you're talking to someone, you don't have to immediately become their best friend. Even if it's just a couple of playful comments, you may run into said person(s) elsewhere and you'll already have something to break the ice.
>>
>>17551155
It gets harder, so much harder.
>>
Yes OP. While Varg's music turned to shit, it did change - so will making friends at uni be different than at hs.
It is mostly up to you: to leave your comfort zone; to learn how to communicate/socialize; etc
>>
>>17551155
Nope, it's harder. You're not forced into close proximity with other people nearly as much, so you have to work harder to purposely interact with each other.
>>
Its both harder and easier. As the first reply said, if you find people with your same interest you can make friends quickly. But if you have a hard time talking to people and interacting (ex. myself) it can be hard to get past the "see you in class" stage of acquaintances.
Definitely join clubs, then you're pushed to be around the same kind of people as you not just in classes, but in an environment where you can chill out, talk, and do what you're interested in. You'll make friends that way every time.
Also, don't be afraid to go to a club meeting alone because you don't know anyone or because you feel like no one else will show up. People will show up and you're not alone in that feeling. The group leaders usually try to come together to make it a welcoming environment the first time they meet.
>>
you either make all your friends in the first couple of weeks or you make no friends and become a shut in where continuous feelings of paranoia and sexual pressure drive you into the depths of mental illness.
>>
I found it was really easy to make friends in class and really hard to make friends with anyone at the campus i was living at.
>>
A lot easier imo.

Girls are more interrested in you.
Easier to talk to people in general.
You actually do something interresting in life and sort of have a goal.

I was a loser in high school tho, and now I'm a lot more confident and a lot less socially awkward.
>>
>>17551155
The big difficulty in making friends in high school is that the cliques get established very early and everyone gets typecast. If you are labeled a nerd or goth or jock or cool kid, nobody in any of the other groups wants to be with you (and vice versa).

Going to uni is one of the very few times in your life when you are free to redefine yourself. NOBODY KNOWS YOU. Nobody has a preconception of what label you wear and therefore nobody starts off prejudiced against you.

You can, if you want and can pull it off, declare yourself a chad or leader or ladykiller, and everyone will take you at your word. More likely, everyone will be open to friendship with you at least at the start because they haven't pigeonholed you.
>>
>university

What are you, European or something?
>>
Nope. It's way harder. Especially at a big university. People will find their "group" in the first month or so and if you don't find your "group" it will be extremely difficult for you to make friends.
>>
A lot easier, in fact, mostly because in university, you have at least a remote interest in the subject, so you always have something to talk about with other people. I also noticed that everyone is way more open minded and you're very likely to find your own "niche".
Overall, university is the best time of your life, next to retirement, I would say.
>>
>>17552336
I was already like that in high school though.
>>
>>17552989
No, I probably picked that up from Europeans though.
>>
>>17551155
When I left highschool I thought to myself, what a waste of time, I know none of my so-called friends will contact me ever again. I won't see these people ever again. On graduation day some of them walked by me without saying a word, it was sort of awkward. I don't think they even knew what to say

"When I go to college it will be a fresh start, I can be normal and sociable and chatty and just be myself, and obviously I'll make friends because I'm a smart reasonably funny guy. It won't even be hard since nobody there will know me so it is legitimately a new page for me in my life. I can't wait, holy shit"

I ended up making literally zero friends, sitting in my dorm all alone every day.

"Oh well I'm done with college now and moving to get a new job. I can restart my life fresh again and make friends at work"

You get the picture. Protip: I'm sitting on fucking 4chan alone in my apartment right now. It doesn't work for me and if you're anything like me it won't work for you. I will be alone forever because I'm probably autistic or an asperger or something.
>>
I dunno how it is in the US, but here in europe it was WAY easier than in school. Why? Because when you study something you like, your colleagues will most likely have similar intetests\humor. In my case, the people here suddenly all heard the same/similar kind of music.
>>
>>17551155
Not if youre an open fan of varg
>>
>>17555266
>"I like Varg Vikernes"
>"Who's that?"
>"Just some musician
>"Oh I like music too anon (:"
>>
>>17555282
Explaining anything related to metal to normal people is really fucking hard, let alone varg fucking vikernes
>>
I've never noticed it, but he actually looks like the Joker in that picture.
>>
>>17555515
Some men just want to watch the church burn
>>
>>17555266
>>17555282
>>17555510
Why should this even come up if you know you're not talking to someone who likes metal
>>
>>17555548
Because a lot of people listen to music, when getting to know someone the question "what kind of music are you into" often comes up.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.