[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIVORCE AND $$$$

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

I'm married, but separated. Moved out of the apartment I shared with my wife 6 months ago. Things ended on a bad note.

BREAKUP SUMMARY:
We went on a camping trip with friends, had a small argument. Turned into a bigger PUBLIC argument where she started yelling and crying and I refused to escalate it beyond that. I participated in activities with others, limiting my interaction with her. After the trip, she exploded, verbally yelling, taunting me, belittling me, accusing me of emotional betrayal. She called her mom to join in and they railed on me for 7 hours. It got to the point where her mom physically poked her fingers into my chest, demanding that I beg her daughter for forgiveness.

I noped the fuck out of there and stayed with a friend. A few days later, I stayed at my brother's home. Only visited to get back my stuff and have sporadic conversations that she would quickly turn into yelling bouts.

While she isn't batshit crazy, we can't have a civil conversation without her getting angry and raising her voice. I'm sure she wanted me to apologize for ignoring her and make up, but it was a YOU-SURRENDER-FIRST type of situation for her.

We've had very little contact, most of it through email. There is no POSSIBILITY of us getting back together and we're saving up for a divorce.

MY PROBLEM:
We've both always made very little money together, but she always made much more than I did. I recently put together a small delivery business that is suddenly making ALOT OF CASH. All of it is legal and being reported as taxes. I never asked my wife FOR A DIME, despite going through financial hardships after leaving. And now I might rake in more than both of us have made in YEARS.

MY QUESTION:
Is she entitled to any of it? How can I make sure she doesn't get a SINGLE RED PENNY from this?
>>
>>17550228
Depends on the state you are in but in California, you'd be fucked because the court automatically assumes, despite any actual evidence you have, that you were able to create that business because your wife helped in someway whether that be by emotional support, forgoing something, etc which it equates to a 50-50 effort between you too.

However, if you're still making less or equal money to her, you might be able to get alimony from her or prevent her from getting alimony from you.

Let this be a lesson for all anons. Always get a prenup. Prenups are like contracts. No one signs a contract thinking the other person is going to fuck them down the line. The contract is there just in case someone does something stupid. If everything goes well, the contract/prenup just ends up being a useless piece of paper. If it doesn't go well, you'll be thanking god you took my advice.
>>
>>17550228
hide your assets, anon. liquidate and bury it in a hole if you have to. obtain proof of the date of separation. obtain proof of her hostility if you can. i do not envy you, you are in for a rough ride.
>>
>>17550228
Invest in a good lawyer. Best advice I can give.
>>
>>17550276
this. a good lawyer may be able to settle a less than 50% of your business because depending on your state, you may be really fucked.
>>
>>17550333
OP HERE:

I'm in Illinois.

She currently makes about 10K a year.

I will be making 3K this MONTH. Last month I made 2K. Nothing before that.

How fucked am I?
>>
Holy shit. Why do people even marry today?
>>
File: angry_spoiled_brat_teenage_girl.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
angry_spoiled_brat_teenage_girl.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>17550460

OP HERE.

Wrong question. The real question is: why do people get married to shitty people?

I knew my ex-wife was a spoiled selfish bitch when I married her. but it was CUTE then. And any times we had arguments, her obvious depression expressed itself as isolation and a REFUSAL to talk. I could deal with that and (thought) I had endless positivity to pull her out of it.

Over the years, she lashed out more often, until it got to the point where she was screaming with rage, demanding I "fix" things by giving up and coddling her.

As much of a bitter bitch as she is, I'm responsible for enabling her and staying with her.
>>
>>17550228
>getting married

you ask for this OP.

>>17550254

prenups are a meme too all she has to do is cry her crocodile tears and say the prenup is unfair and she can still get something out of you.
>>
>>17550552
Again, not in California. In California, judges are forced to enforce prenups and if it is well made, that will be all they can do.

In other states, the judge is the judge, jury, and executioner so prenups could get thrown out if the judge feels it is more fair to do something else.
>>
>>17550379
Have you actually filed the formal separation, and you're waiting for the final divorce date? Or are you just physically seperated, as in you're staying with your bros and have't done any paperwork yet?

If you haven't filed any papers yet, then yes, anything you're making right now will be considered shared marital assets. I remember my ex trying to get me to repay back all the money she had ever made while we were married (2 years). My lawyer wasn't having that.

Also I can relate to your situation. Sometimes the full crazy doesn't come out until there's a ring on your finger.
>>
>>17550501
>The real question is: why do people get married to shitty people?

it doesn't matter even the good ones have the potential to screw you over in divorce.

>>17550579

did you have any kids with her because you are even more fucked?also be careful with lawyers and the court because they are going to delay your divorce case to get as much money from you as possible.

you should have watch this movie before getting married.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfRDZ4iOnSo
>>
>>17550613
>>Have you actually filed the formal separation

Nope. Still too poor to afford any legal counsel. So just separated.

>>17550632
>>did you have any kids with her

HOLY SHIT NO.
>>
>>17550674

>making tons of money with suddenly successful business
> too poor for Dial-A-Divorce-Lawyer
>>
>>17550682
1) it's a TON of money to me. I was unemployed for MONTHS!

2) I can't spend that money right now. It's too important to the business. :/
>>
>>17550254
just so you know prenups are generally a joke and 70% of them get thrown out in court, and i assume the majority of the prenups that don't get thrown out of court are because the wife doesn't peruse having it thrown out of court.

Getting married at all in this day and age is the problem. Fuck, even living with a girl in some states and she can prove a civil partnership you might still be fucked.

Women are just pretty terrible human beings. Some women go around having kids put a random person who is on deployment in the military as the father, then when they can't show up for court over seas are automatically set up to pay for the kid for at least 3 years until its sorted and then can't get the money they were forced to pay back. And even then sometimes it's not corrected.
>>
>>17550768
Just so you know, whether you believe it or not, I got my JD in California and I'm betting most of the people talking haven't properly researched their conclusions and certainly haven't actually studied the law.

California is very different in many respects from just about every other state in the union.
>>
You cheated on her and now you act like you're the victim.

Move on everyone, nothing to see here.
>>
Le alimony face

Get cucked op
>>
>>17550379
> She has 10k
> I have 5k

What's the point of even dividing financial assets? If you pooled all the money you have together, you could purchase a used car. Is this how poor people live?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.