[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Immoral?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Felix.jpg (532KB, 1195x1593px) Image search: [Google]
Felix.jpg
532KB, 1195x1593px
>Tl;dr is it immoral to scale back some workers hours but not others?

I run a machine shop and was wondering how you would feel if you were an employee who was hired for full time but had his hours scaled back to 32 hours because of a lack of work, but other guys still came in 40 hrs some weeks?

Basically we still have some areas that require workers but other areas that are dry atm, and the skillsets for the machines dont allow cross operation (some guys cant run these machines thatre in demand). So, they would never get a 40 hr week until things picked back up in their area, whereas the other guy would get fairly steady 40 hr work weeks.

Would you scale back altogether and run the machines yourself so its equal? Or would that be even more of an asshole thing to do?
>>
Not immoral since you are trying to keep the company afloat from the work-recession, but keep in mind that the reduced-hours will make those employees question you about it and they may seek work elsewhere if it is not short-term.

>CNC drafter here
>>
>>17549592
There's nothing immoral about it, shit happens, you need to do what's best for the business.
>>
>>17549592
I believe pretty strongly that managing people is one of the hardest jobs in the world precisely for this reason: often, there is no single correct answer that will please everybody. You must make decisions that will inevitably piss people off, and then, dealing with your pissed-off employees is also part of your job. No, it isn't immoral. It just sucks.
>>
Thanks guys, im inclined to think the same way, and i think most rational people would understand. I just hate it for the guys that wont have enough work, and even more that other guys will. These are people with responsibilities, hate to take bread off the table, but its necessary.

To the cnc drafter, have you noticed a decline of work since the price of oil dropped, or are you guys making something unrelated? Just curious
>>
>>17549592
make them clear that the alternative to a 32h cut aint 40h but zero hours.

in general i fully agree that management (as in: real managing) is the hardest form of leadership.
>>
>>17549592

if we had the business / finances, id try to find a way to include everyone at their hours. even if we have less work, id try to stick by the employees that do their job well so they arent tempted to leave.

however if there isnt any funds because of the loss of wokr, id scale back the employees that dont have any work to do, and keep the others at full time.

id explain the situation and try to be kind and understanding if they had to find another job
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.