[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

POLITICS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: politics.jpg.jpg (69KB, 683x340px) Image search: [Google]
politics.jpg.jpg
69KB, 683x340px
I'm getting more interested in politics, so my question for you is where do I start? I want to be informed and want to know about the topic I'm going to discuss with my fellow friends or with whom ever.

Didn't read shit, I plan to start with the Greeks and to read Machiavelli's The Ruler. Which Greeks should I bother with and where do I continue after I'm done with 'em?

As always, thanks in advance, /adv/!
>>
>>17547057
did you watch house of cards and think you're important?
politics is a pretty broad term, what about politics do you want to involve yourself in?
>>
>>17547064
I'm going to start with the show, but I don't really think I'm all that knowledgeable, just because I've seen a goddamn tv show.

I'm currently 18 and since I have the right to vote, I want to be at least somewhat knowledgeable of the subject. I'd want to be pretty knowledgeable about democracy and authocracy, if that's what you're asking. I'm also going to study history and I there's a chance that I'd want to be a politician someday.
>>
Read The Law by Frederic Bastiat.
>>
Just go to /pol/. Everything you need is there.
>>
So are you actually interested in politics or interested in political theory? Reading the classics won't help you to understand modern politics in practice, it will only give you an overview of the development of political theory that has taken place over centuries. You need to be more specific what your goals are for anyone to be able to recommend something to read.

Also, it's called The Prince, not "the Ruler"
>>
>>17547098

/pol/ is a shithole of trolls and extremists. It's the last place anyone should go if they want to learn about politics.
>>
>>17547057
Jupiter broadcasting: unfilter. Weekly news report of media coverage, mostly US topics (elections, proxy wars, information technology and hacking). Lots of sources and very actively following news channels.
Consider donating if you like it.
>>
>>17547100
My bad, thanks for correcting me, I said "The Ruler" because in Croatian it's called "Vladar" and that translates to "Ruler", but yeah, I was wrong.

Well, I don't know, I guess I'm more interested in political theroy, but I'd also like to know how to put in in practice.

>>17547098
Thanks, but I'll refuse.

>>17547097
Thanks, anon.
>>
Start with the Greeks. /lit/ is also your best bet since they'll show you beginner infographs
>>
>>17547112
I think I have one that I got there, but it's a bit messy. Looking for more opinions, I guess.
>>
File: 1471101798615.jpg (511KB, 1280x1627px) Image search: [Google]
1471101798615.jpg
511KB, 1280x1627px
>>17547057
Races aren't equal.
The Jews run everything.
Hitler did nothing wrong.
NatSoc is the one true ideology.

get woke son
>>
>>17547057
Depends on the politics you want to get into.

I started managing local campaigns by simply going to local meetings.

Political Parties have local meetings just about every month with officers and chairs (depending on your affiliation) where you can get literally a TON of information, network, and shake hands with local candidates.

If you want to know more, let me know.
>>
>>17547121
I'll refuse the "redpill".
>>
>>17547125
Can you explain how it works in more detail?
>>
>>17547121
Get back to /pol/ degenerate

Unions run local politics. Unions elect your local politicians.

If you want to know if you're a "blue state or red state" just look at the industries and the unions that run them.
>>
Thucydides, Plato, Herodotus, Xenophon - all will help you in terms of politics of the Greeks, especially the first two.

Those are the main authors that I personally know of I guess
>>
Thucydides - political structure of the city-state, leadership fluctuations and the fundamentals of democracy vs oligarchy. It also involves a lot of warfare.

Plato - often discussion about the tenants of a successful society, based on philosophy of Socrates too (don't know too much on this)

Herodotus - basically a history of all Greek culture / events which includes a massive amount of Greek political nature

Xenophon - continuation of Thucydides and a deep insight to Greek social structure and identity
>>
Its the Jews fault. The nose always knows.
>>
>>17547109

>I'm more interested in political theroy, but I'd also like to know how to put in in practice.

I'd say start by reading a more general book on political ideologies first to get some basic grasp of the variety that exists. They usually offer both a short explanation of the ideology and how it has adapted to politics in practice. After reading something like that it's easier to find the connections that exist between different theories and how they developed.

As for your original question, the most famous Greeks are Plato's The Republic and Aristotle's Politics. Locke, Hobbes and Russeau might be something you'd like to look into as well. Keep in mind though that they don't really explain 'politics' as such, but more just offer certain theories and viewpoints that have somewhat affected the current mainstream theories and practices.
>>
>>17547133
Political parties are essentially clubs that run for elected office. These clubs have networks on the city/county/state level. All of them have a Chair, Vice Chair, Officers, influential people, etc.

If you are going to run for politics, you really need to first get in touch and in well with the local Party you are going to be running for. Sure, any dope can submit paperwork to state to "run" for office, but you need to have backing from your local party.

Personally, I create copy, write press releases, media train, and advise creative for advertising (signs, web pages, etc)

My background is in marketing/advertising (12 years) and I am a long time Libertarian.
>>
>>17547144
Today's politics are ran by ad agencies.

Dems and Republicans are nothing more than the AFC and NFC playing in the NFL.
>>
>>17547057
Politics is for chumps. Study economics (take classes if you're in school, read, listen to real economists not meme-men) and read the news. I perso ally like NPR since i can listen to it while driving, but it does have a liberal bias.

Oh yeah keep that in mind too. All news sources (actually just everything) have biases so make sure it's at least close to neutral.
>>
You're a Croatian citizen OP?
>>
File: 1461621017271.jpg (127KB, 513x480px) Image search: [Google]
1461621017271.jpg
127KB, 513x480px
>>17547057
OP, I happen to be a political analyst with a focus on international politics. You can lob any questions you want my way.

Though it really does depend on what kind of politics you want to get into, like >>17547125 points out. There's grassroots, staffing, finance, communications, policy (which is what I do), the actual politicians, lobbying, etc.

And the some of the recommendations here are on point so far. Start with the Greeks (The Republic, Politics, History of the Peloponnesian War). Then move onto Hobbes' "The Leviathan", Locke's "Two Treaties of Government", John Stuart Mill's "On Liberty", et al. That's generally the philosophical base in the West. If you want more specialized/practical stuff, I can give you suggestions.

And take the advice >>17547225 gives regarding the news; you'll want to read every day. Personally, I mix between reading The Economist, choosing stuff from RealClearPolitics/RealClearWorld, and receiving daily newsletters from three sites.

...and since you appear to be from the Balkans/Croatia, I suggest Balkan Insight. The local sources tend to be less than stellar, if my own experience in the region is any guide.
>>
>>17547278
I would also agree. (Poster from here >>17547151)

Read read read read read read.

The average person reads for about an hour total per day. The average executive/politician/reporter reads about 6 hours per day (or 40 hours per week)

Furthermore, ditch the fuckin internet. It should only supplement your news, not be your primary source. Research shows you read faster and comprehend 25% more on paper than on screen.

CATO Institute is a great think tank that releases books and quarterly publications.

National Affairs is another quarterly publication that I love.

Don't be closed minded in what you read. If you are conservative, read the Huffington Post. If you are Liberal, read Fox News.
>>
>>17547057
American politics are a joke. It's like this anon said >>17547155

Seeing as things currently stand with people blindly believing their party you stand no chance to persuade anyone, I'd strongly recommend you don't bother arguing about politics with friends unless you don't mind losing them.
>>
>>17547057

Watch and read all the major news stations ( from fox to cnn and beyond)
Do the same for some of the foreign press as well, china, bbc, rt (russian)
Read books about politics, learn and fully understand the complexity and the framework and the rules of your country's political system, from city level to the absolute top, who wields what kind of power.

Do this for a couple of years and you will wise up, avoid /pol/ until you have your own ideas of things, getting the 'truth' shoved down your throat is not adviceable when you are ignorant
>>
>>17547085
Start reading the works of Ludwig von Mises, Murray Rothbard and Hans-Hermann Hoppe. Look up the Austrian School and don't fall for the mainstream economics meme.

Particularly, start with Mises' "Bureaucracy" and then move on to Murray Rothbard's works ("The Ethics of Liberty" and "Man, Economy, and State"). Finally read Hoppe's "Democracy--The God That Failed" and you will have achieved enlightenment.
>>
>>17547057
House of Cards is so good though
>>
Read the meditations of Marcus aurelius and rules for radicals
>>
Francis Fukuyama or Stefan Molyneux
>>
>>17547057
>>>/lit/
>>
>>17548197
It is, Kevin Space is amazing and Fincher's direction is great.

Thanks for helping, guys, you really helped me here. Thanks!
>>
Bump. We might as well turn this into a general political questions thread.

How many of you are involved aside from those who have already said they are?
>>
>>17547238
Yes, I am, anon.
>>
>>17549192
You guys have elections on Sunday if I recall.

Here's hoping HDZ wins.

>>17548625
>>17548197
The original UK version is better though. That Francis has more depth.
>>
>>17549283
UK version doesn't have Fincher's direction, but I'll watch it after US one.

HDZ or SDP, they're the different side of the same coin.
>>
>>17549287

HDZ or SDP, it doesn't really matter who'll win, because they're the different side of the same coin.
>>
>>17549287
>>17549289
True, but I prefer the party that is likelier to be harder on the migrants.
>>
>>17549292
I do agree with you on that one, they can fuck off to where they came from.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.