[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eye gazing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1390281984646.gif (499KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
1390281984646.gif
499KB, 270x270px
I had an interesting interaction with a professor today. As a good student (or so I thought) I look into my professor's eyes as he speaks, and at the board when it is important. However, Professor A (as I'll call him) kept staring into my eyes from the start of his long winded sentences to the end, without changing his gaze to other students. Every third student he looked at was me. And with no one else did he hold a gaze as long as with me. Anyone else have a professor that did that.

It made me think about holding gazes.
How long do you hold a gaze with a
>stranger
>friend
>acquaintance
>family
>person you're mad at
>person you're having a stern conversation with
>person you're attracted to

Autists and those with social phobias need not reply

>pic related
>>
As usual the dumbass doesn't provide the sex of himself and the prof. Get to it sherlock.
>>
>>17545049
>Autists and those with social phobias need not reply

see you on page 10!!
>>
>>17545056
>Professor A (as I'll call him)
That enough for you? Read, nigger.

I'm a man. Figured you all knew that there are no females on the internet
>>
>>17545049
>stranger
If im talking to start, i break eye contact when im done speaking, maybe a second or two after
>friend
Every now and again. Short bursts until
I see him or her nod or move their eyebrows or mouth. Unless were (in a friendly way) being serious.
>acquaintance
Until i or they are done speaking
>family
Until i or they are done speaking
>person you're mad at
Never break it
Never break it
Break it when the sentence goes off track.. And at that i look at nose and lips and body for a moment
>>
>>17545049
i'm p awkward but i look into the eyes of anyone i'm talking too, as long as i am talking to them

most people look away, even my friends (because who wants to maintain eye contact with a monster, right?)

when I'm >lecturing i look around at the room and usually there is one or two students who I look at more than others, either because they are actually paying attention and looking at me, or they are somewhere in the middle of the room so they get caught twice as much as the other students

i treat pretty much everyone the same, even crushes, because i'm a broken human being
>>
>>17545152
>when I'm >lecturing i look around at the room and usually there is one or two students who I look at more than others, either because they are actually paying attention and looking at me,
How does an autist become a professor?
>>
>>17545061
Kek
>>
>>17545184
because i just gave lectures. i'm not really autistic, just ugly and depressed
>>
>>17545152
>i'm p awkward but i look into the eyes of anyone i'm talking too, as long as i am talking to them
Do you take it as an offense if they stare you in the eye unabashedly?
>>
>>17545207
no, why would I?
>>
>>17545049
Happens to me a lot at Uni actually, almost exclusively with male teachers.
Im pretty sure it's because they're annoyed by me, I've been said by a lot of people that i have this smartass/too cool for school vibe, and i also look really young for my age and really attractive if you like that sor of thing.
So it's like the first impression i give is just this 16 year old smart pants boy who gets pussy and all the answers right (none of it being true) and they're just really annoyed/ really curious.
>>
File: 1391576510257.jpg (33KB, 848x900px) Image search: [Google]
1391576510257.jpg
33KB, 848x900px
>>17545235
Many people have told me that my normal resting face makes me look to be absolutely angry and "not in the mood." Perhaps it could be that.
>>
Lol a professor did this to me, he happened to catch my eye and I didnt look away and neither did he
nigga didnt even break his speech and kept on staring for a good while, he eventually laughed a bit and looked away

My eyes were fucking burning at the end
>>
File: Morgan-Geyser-mugshot.jpg (28KB, 615x410px) Image search: [Google]
Morgan-Geyser-mugshot.jpg
28KB, 615x410px
>>17545049
I'm a 27 male, decent face maybe 8/10.
I also had this "revelation" about eye contact a few years ago and tried a few things, including never breaking it with anyone, but that's really not the thing to do for a lot of reasons.
I'd say I'm really good at it now.

It depends a lot of the people you're dealing with obviously, the best is to lead the situation without making it too rough for the other if he's a bit shy, and avoid to look scary/agressive.

With 40+ yo women you can keep it 100% and they won't feel any pressure or anything since they're doing it all the time.
For novices or shy people it's the best way to practice having a full normal conversation without breaking it.

>stranger
don't break it for the first 10-15 seconds then look somewhere else the first time you have to stop to think and then around 60%.
>friend
good male friends around 20%, females 70% with my best friend I know for 20 years it's maybe 30 seconds/hour when sharing a laugh or something
>acquaintance
depends on status, if you want to show respect always look when they talk and about 50% when you talk, reverse it if you have the higher status
>family
dad 10% mom 20% grand parents 70% the other around 40%, not really mportant anyway
>person you're mad at
never publicly angry
don't really do this either, depends on mood, tone of conversation and status I guess
got a gf I'm really close to, 95% when light conversation but it goes deep often then the one listening looks and the other is in deep introspection so the 100 miles stare or something
when flirting reciprocally it's 80%+

I practiced and experimented eye contact consciously all the time for 3+ years and now still work on it in new situations, if anyone has specific questions just ask.
>>
>>17546434
Why did you practise it so much?
Also general conversation tips?
>>
Hey OP, I have an explanation of what's going on... (At least on the Prof's side.)

Public speakers and presenters often use a simple trick to keeping themselves focused and not overwhelmed while they speak. I've used it a few times, and it really does work. If you're giving a speech (Or teaching a large class,) pick a handful of individuals that are your primary focus while speaking. Because you have to look at someone, you might as well look at someone who seems attentive.

When he was holding eye contact with you, it was likely because he felt like you were actually listening. But it seems obvious to me, that you probably weren't. You were probably distracted.
>>
>>17545049
My professor does the same. Do you happen to sit in front of the class?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.