[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

>Work for company for 8 years
>Start at bottom on sales floor making $30K and work way to position making $75K salary + bonus due to performance
>Bring in six figures for first time ever after earning only $30K a few years before
>Have family and kids with house so become somewhat dependent on the income
>Spend four years performing at high level in position
>Move several times for the company
>Turn unprofitable, trainwreck of a business unit into a profitable one
>Win prestigious national award for doing so and recognized by the board
>Highly regarded and respected, but a bit of an outsider as I mostly keep to myself and rely on merit to advance my position
>Promised promotion for a year
>Same carrot dangled every few months
>Position eliminated
>"Keep working, anon your time will come!"
>Burned out due to crazy work weeks, bad boss, and chronic stress
>Performance still great, but passion gone
>Approached by new company outside of industry on LinkedIn
>Wined, dined and offered $90K salary guaranteed plus 25% bonus
>Need to decide tomorrow

I am absolutely torn about what to do. On one hand, I've got a stable $100K a year with a company in which I am highly respected and have spent eight years building a reputation. I enjoy many of my coworkers and have a lot of flexibility on when I work, but I am always working. On the other hand, the new opportunity with a respected company intrigues me as I am losing passion for my current work due to unfulfilled promises which don't seem to be anybody's fault. The new company is also stable and my supervisor seems like he'd be great to work for.

I spoke to my current boss about the opportunity and I am discussing with a VP (who I respect) tomorrow. I am not sure what he will be able to offer, but if nothing I have no idea what to do. Both choices seem like a tremendous risk at this point due to restructuring on one end and uncertainty on the other. Thoughts?
>>
The grass isn't always greener on the otherside. Yes you lost some passion but you are making more money, are more respected and have more flexibility. All the notoriety you earned for this company will disappear and you will be another cunt working for this new company.

I say stick it out. Linkedin always sends you new promising jobs but rarely do they pan it. Crack the 10 year mark and then switch. By then you will have so much experience you can pick and choose what new job to get.
>>
>>17544854
>you are making more money
I would make more money at the new job. My current guarantee is $78K, the new job guarantees $90K. Also, won't I just be throwing away 10 years of experience and reputation if I wait?
>>
>>17544888

You are getting paid more money but you don't have the influence and respect that current gig offers you.

>Also, won't I just be throwing away 10 years of experience and reputation if I wait?

You have 8 years of experience, all I am saying is move on after the 10 year mark when most employers will be looking for that magic number.
>>
>>17544916
This is what I am thinking, but I also feel like I need to take a stand due to them not following through on the promotion they promised. Also, my life really sucks right now due to how much I currently work. I am under no delusion that the grass is greener, but more money and a new challenge is appealing
>>
>>17544959

Go for it then dude. I mean you sound miserable right now and a change of job might just be the thing you were looking for. You see I thought your work life was decent but not horrible but you said that your life sucks which tells me something has to give.

Make it happen tomorrow.
>>
Slight thread hijack but I'm also needing advice in job/career.

>25
>work at dying chain frozen yogurt shop 6 days a week because entire department of prior job was outsourced a few months in
>$10/hr to make the flavors, clean the bathroom, clean after the 8 daily customers, perform routine cleaning and maintenance on the machines, basically stay on top of every aspect of the place, and not an hero
>6-9 hour days alone with no breaks (lunch or bathroom) as I'm the only one scheduled
>no other employees are available until evenings
>bitched at by boss after shift daily for no customers coming in and for not doing random things I wasn't told to do
>gf is my relief shift with a helper that comes in a few hours before closing
>rarely see each other unless I stay past my shift off the clock
>nailed interview at a much busier store of the same chain closer to my house
>will make same amount doing a fraction of the work
>4 nights a week with helper
>roughly equal hours as currently receiving
>haven't been hired yet

On one hand, this means nothing is changing financially but stress will plummet and free time will skyrocket. On the other hand, I've been looking at real estate and thinking of trying out that world as an agent.

>market seems to be booming here
>only knowledge of real estate is the fragments they show on house flipping shows on tv
>old high school friend is the nephew of one of the most successful realtors in my town so I have a potential connection
>no clue how to get into the industry or how it works
>if I can sell houses, I know a guy who has a remodel/repair business
>plan is sell to him, sell for him, and get some kickback from his profits from 3x income per house
>no guarantee to any of this
>took 8 months unemployed to find the shitty frozen yogurt job

Wat do?
>>
>>17545162

Keep the frozen yogurt job and study everything you need to know about real estate on the side. When you have adequate knowledge then purse your dream with enough savings of course. Ask your old friend if you could set up an informational interview with his nephew to get an understanding of how real estate works.
>>
>>17545162
Take the job and do real estate on the side.
>>
Just to be fair, I'm 20, and that means I'm probably older than a good third of the people in this thread, but in my opinion you should take the new job. A 10% pay cut that will be recovered by your bonus is worth it if you're feeling burned out. I know the feeling of having no life. My schedule for a while was work a double shift and go to school. Maybe have time for the gym, and never any time for my girlfriend or friends.

I did that for three months and wanted to kill myself. Fortunately I found a job that pays better, and works a continuous shift, and fewer hours. I am so much happier. So, SO much happier. And of course the obvious factor being, what good is such an income for your family if they don't have the dad around to look up to and hang out with?

My dad was never around growing up, and I would have much rather been able to do things with my father like camping and fishing, and working on cars and shit like that, then be able to go out to dinner with my mom three times a week and by new clothes whenever I wanted because all he did was work.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.