/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any tech savy people here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: Screenshot (13).png (147KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (13).png
147KB, 1366x768px
Theres someone stealing our internet but trough a ethernet cord, ive looked everywhere (yes even my own modem) and there isint anyplace that an ethernet cable can be placed, but yet i have them blocked, and it says
>connection - ethernet
i know this is one of my neighbors but idk who,
once i blocked them my internet speed went back to normal, any ideas how someone is doing this
>>
File: Screenshot (12).png (123KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (12).png
123KB, 1366x768px
>>
Do you know the concept of LAN over the powerline? Typically called d-lan too.
If you plug these things in any socket that is connected to your house/flat wiring and one with the ethernet you could potentially be in danger that someone who is in range and has somehow access to one of your sockets and would be connected as an ethernet cable.

Check if you have these powerline adapters somewhere in your house. Be sure to create a whitelist in your router and deny access to new users.
>>
>>17541923
are you still here?
i dont think my modem has a white listing thing
>>
>>17541949
Yes i'm here,
browse through the options usually there is a service where you can allow only certain devices access, that's what i ment with whitelist.
If not i would, in your case, call my service provider and explain it to them and have someone come over.
>>
Aye just go on there and go to block devices. Block whatever you don't use. It won't work for him anymore. Also, change the admin pass from password to something else. Last, call your company.

If it's Comcast he could be connected to xfinity wifi hotspot off your modem. Also call comcastto shut that off.
>>
>>17541955
ive done that and have blocked them, all i know is that i can only block them once they are in, no time sooner, had a modem that could see it before they got in and i would have to allow access but, it disappeared...
>>17541963
i dont think i could see if someone was connected trough the hot spot, could i? will try to call them to turn it off
>>
>>17541923
He would have to have a powerline plugged into the router for this to be the case.

Just make a whitelist of allowed users and list all your MAC addresses.

>>17541915
Have you ever actually seen the device online?
>>
>>17541969
yea today recently, i was playing COD on my xbox and it was lagging real bad, i went in to my settings and couldnt find him, then i disconnected the modem and reconnected, and i went back to the admin thing and it was there, ive never seen it, i blocked it and my game was playing back normal, also my internet has definitely been slow for like 3 days
>>
>>17541969
its the blocked n/a on the first pic and the one im showing on the second
>>
>>17541978
Why don't you change the rules to block all then?

Grab all the MAC's from your connected devices and then add them to the whitelist once you've blocked all.
>>
File: Screenshot (15).png (145KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (15).png
145KB, 1366x768px
>>17541983
it says this, but idk if it would be the case if i whitellisted all our devices so it works, might try
>>
>>17541999
Yes that's fine, you can always change it back again after.
>>
Spoofing MAC addresses is trivial.
>>
>>17542109
what do you mean anon?
>>
>>
He's not protecting a bank, he just wants to stop some random fuck connecting to his router.
>>
Wow this thread looks interesting, you still there OP?
>>
>>17542136
yea, kind of dont know what to do, do so im at a loss, i want to try white listing but am afraid ill have him gain access
>>17542135
lol didnt link comment
>>
>>17542143

How do you know someone is stealing your internet through ethernet?
>>
>>17542143
If he gains access it will be no worse than now, it's another block in their path, you keep blocking until they can't break through.
>>
>>17542146 go to
>>17541974
ow i was seeing the ping drop in the xbox, n when i blocked it, it stopped
>>
>>17542158

I don't see that as hard evidence. I mean like seeing like an ethernet connected user in your router list when you guys at your house are only wifi.

I recently went to my router and limited the upload/download speed of my ps4 because fuck knows what Sony is sending out to slow my shit down.
>>
>>17542164
you have to be here to actually see the hard evidence man, but im not really tech savy so i cant see how they are hiding themselves, it was coincidence i even saw it
>>
>>17542164
i can show you picks of what ive collected
>>
0p here who evers still here, all i can say, is that this has happened before, plenty of times, note the many blocked people, but there where 2 that where hidden and at the moment of their activation, my internet dropped profusely, until i blocked them, so everything is alright, im not here to debate whether there really is someone connected to me, but if so, how are they connected...
>>
>>17542201

DO you have mac address filtering?

did you update the firmware to your router?
>>
>>17542203
yes and no
>>
>>17542208

What is what that blocked devices list than out of curiosity?. With my router I use Mac address filtering and It's a white list. Only the mac addresses I put in can connect.

This is only for my wifi access though. I'm assuming anyone that grabs a cable and connects it to my modem can use it.

So this Ethernet cable is NOT plugged into your router? or is it? where is the Ethernet plugged into?
>>
>>17541978 <---- refer
>>17542216
no the ethernet cable is not connected to my router, and where its plugged in to is the reason i made the thread in the first place,
also not to add to it, but the one labeled kill in my blocked list is the same mac address as my router, but the last number is 8 instead of 9, idk how that works
>>
>>17542231

If it's not connected to your router of AFTER your router in your list of devices then your router won't block it.
>>
>>17542235
sorry, can you say that again, i truly did not understand what you where saying
>>
>>17542238

A network is a chain of devices connected from one thing to another.

ISP has a cable going to your house to your modem/router then to your router/firewall shit like that.

Usually a router is the last thing in the list. If the user is somehow plugged into your modem and before your router then your router has nothing to do with the usage of hte person on ethernet.
>>
>>17542241
it goes from the thing in the ground, to inside my house, to the router, i only have one i guess its a router
>pic related its the same router
>>
Seems odd. If you don't see any ethernet devices connected then then neuther should the router. Can you take a picture of the modem/router device or tell the model name?
The router could be mistaking a wifi connection for ethernet for some reason. You have the wireless sufficiantly secured, right?
>>
>>17542255
ok hold on let me take a pic of my actual router i guess
>>
>>17542263
You might have this thing on http://wifi.xfinity.com . It shares your internet via other wifi network that doesn't interfere with your wifi.
That might explain why a connection looks like ethernet because it creates new internal connection between the real net and created hotspot.
If that's the case you should be able to disable that feature somewhere
>>
>>17542271
http://www.howtogeek.com/239102/how-to-disable-the-public-wi-fi-hotspot-on-your-comcast-xfinity-router/
>>
Try assigning static IP addresses to the devices you use around the house and disable DHCP and any guest login options. For example, if you have 5 devices (cell, laptop, tablet, PC, xbox), set the range between 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.104 and assign each device its own IP within that range. This is usually done by either MAC addresses or host names. These IPs will not change no matter if you experience a power loss, reset the modem/router, etc.

Also make sure your WiFi is secured just in case by disabling SSID broadcast, using WPA2 & creating a sophisticated password. As an anon stated previously, change your router's admin login and pass too.

Additionally, you should scan for malware, viruses, rootkits... all that junk and double check your network sharing options in case you have any sensitive data laying around; if someone has compromised your network, then they may have gained access to this info.
>>
File: 20160907_065435[1].jpg (928KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160907_065435[1].jpg
928KB, 2560x1440px
>>
File: 20160907_065423[1].jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160907_065423[1].jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>
>>17542273
ive seen this, and everytime i forget to do it, but this may actually be the cause of the ethernet router thing, but i wouldnt be able to see it right? because those 2 are the only one i couldnt see
>>
>>17542278
got really advance, but i somewhat understood, might need to change the password, also i havent seen any suspicious activity on any other password needed things so i think they just want the internet
>>
>>17542285
You can verify if you have that by looking at wifi networks around you. If you see "xfinitywifi" near you then that's you.
I don't know if the feature is configurable from the standard router options. It could be that you aren't meant to be able to disable it. But you should check your comcast account site.
>>
>>17542297
yea idk man, if its a neighbor stealing my wifi through those means, wouldnt he have his own wifi? i mean other than him trying to steal information from me, i wouldnt see why a person would do this, but i will disable the "xfinitywifi" thing later, as im about to go to work in like 1 hour
>>
>>17542305
>i mean other than him trying to steal information from me, i wouldnt see why a person would do this
Who knows. Maybe he's leeching some wares? In any case I hope you figure it out. There is some good advice in this thread. If nothing helps you can always get a new modem, but that's the extreme solution.
>>
>>17541913
Some providers, like BT in Britain, reserve a portion of every modem's output for public use so that other subscribers can use your neighborhood as a free hotspot.
>>
>>17541913
You have to go to your terminal. Theyre taking via coax
>>
>>17542618
wtf is this
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.