[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting tired of college party lifestyle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: student-party-1.jpg (82KB, 610x407px) Image search: [Google]
student-party-1.jpg
82KB, 610x407px
How can I be a mature college student and still have people to hang out with?
I have just started my masters education at one of the best universities in Europe, I have worked so hard to get here, to save my money, etc.
I am 21, and a girl, and it seems all the other people at my age are the type that love to just get wasted and not take school seriously. I'm not a nerd, but I am honestly passionate about my field, and am searching for an internship to be even better at my future career.
However all my roommates (who happen to be the popular group here) are sometimes honestly confused about why I don't go out with them 4 nights a week.
I don't want to be 'that girl' that always is locked in her room and studying, but also I have gotten tired of just meaningless nights with cheap alcohol when I could be doing more productive things.
So how can I find my 'peers'? It seems everyone going out at student events just wants to throw their money away on shots and beer- on the other side, the events I'd like to go to (art exhibition openings, quality bars, maybe a fancy restaurant once in a while) are just populated by older people who have their own social circles and see no reason to be friends with a student.
And just so I don't sound like a pretentious snob, I am not above drinking cheap beer and partying in student bars, I just don't think my money should be spent on that when I could invest in better experiences.

tl;dr am at that age where I'm supposed to be a rowdy student but I j-just want to hang out with quality people and perfect myself for my future.
Is there anyone who feels the same or has been through this?
>>
File: 1469410628836.jpg (201KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1469410628836.jpg
201KB, 1920x1080px
>>17541893
>Is there anyone who feels the same or has been through this?

25, postdoc, I don't think I quite identify with your situation but have you tried to hangout with your classmates ? you know, those people who study the same field as you and have similar aspiration ? if you are doing something that remotely requires effort then I doubt ALL of your classmates would be the same as your party loving roommates...Form a study group, get to know them ? do assignments together ?

On the other hand, I think I'm quite the opposite of you, I work in computational harmonic analysis and I still live in campus, I prefer to hangout with the younger, wilder bunch living next door than my more mature colleagues, both groups are fun, but in one group I am the cool guy and as for the other group I'd prefer to talk to them about recent development in PDEs rather than, say, hitting on girls.
>>
>>17541893
I feel your pain deeply. But most kids our age up until late 20s are a bunch of twats.

There are those out there like you! You will have to search far and wide, a connection can be found.

Dont be rowdy in grad school senpai
>>
>>17541893

Your a nerd and will never really fit in. Thats just how people are, maybe you should run into others like yourself, but because you're normally introverted you dont really know cause theres little communication.

Live with it or change.
>>
File: 1470988093198.png (425KB, 478x577px) Image search: [Google]
1470988093198.png
425KB, 478x577px
>>17541893
Well you're indeed a rare female specimen. Let's meet and procreate after you graduate and start working.

But seriously, just be honest with your friends, if they're really friends they will understand and let you be as they go back to gobble on random cocks for their remaining youthful looking years.
>>
>>17541893

Are your dorm mates also on masters? It seems crazy that they could be partying all the time if that's the case.

At any rate, as above said, you should just try and hang out more with your intellectual/field peers rather than your age/dorm peers. People who are also in your course will have a similar workload and as such, a similar interest in getting trashed.

As for your money issue, it is inherently a little snobbish (not in a bad way though) and I think you'll struggle to find a lot of university students who are willing to for out $15 a pint when they can get them for 6-8 with a student card.
>>
>>17541925
Yeah, my classmates are understanding me a bit better, but they don't live in my dorm sadly. We are thinking to form a study group later in the semester though.
>>17541935
Thanks! I guess I'll survive.
>>17541960
They're not really friends yet, we just met a week ago and during freshers' week everyone was partying all the time which I couldn't do because budget. So maybe that got me looking a bit antisocial. Oh well.
>>17541971
Yeah they are actually- one of them is in exchange here and the others are having sciencey fields, which is why I don't get how they have so much free time to party. Anyway... yeah I did get a couple of odd looks for going to a well-known local microbrewery rather than just attending the freshers' week free booze parties.
>>
>I am honestly passionate about my field
>I don't want to be 'that girl' that always is locked in her room and studying

Pick one. No pain, no gain, as they say.
>>
Well,you don't need to do what the others are doing just to fit with them. Explain them that you have other goals and if they are true friends they will understand you,if not you don't need to waste time and money with them!
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.