[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Parenting advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (43KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 425x282px
Ever since my son was born i was a great deal less anxious about him than most parents around me are about their kids. This has earned me a reputation as a bit of an irresponsible mom. Am i really? I obviously don't let him do really dangerous stuff like play on the streets, but i have teached him to use a knive instead of taking it away. He is allowed to help me with tools if i fix something. And the one thing that irritates most people: i let him climb on things. Obviously not in inapropriate situations and on stuff that might break but other than that i don't yell at him to get down there because he might fall and hurt himself all the time. I have earned a great amount of unpleasant glances and comments for this over the years so i figured that if everyobody tells you you are an idiot you might want to carefully consider that you actually DO idiotic stuff. Oh and for the records, he has never injured himself seriously. Scrapped knees or bleeding lips are the worst we had so far and they didn't even happen whilst doing "dangerous" stuff
>>
>>17541398
Sounds like you're doing okay. Fuck 'em. Maybe pay a bit more attention? But yeah, it sounds like you're parenting pretty well and including him in your life, so, as long as he's happy you good.
>>
>>17541398
Too many people think they are god's gift as a parent put on this earth to judge other parents and tell them how to raise their kids.

Just watch out for the obvious shit like letting him run into open traffic and shit like that and you should be fine.

Is there a second parent around the house to get a second opinion?
>>
>>17541436
I am god's gift to the earth
>>
>>17541429
Mkay, thanks.
I do pay attention. It's not like i'm just letting him do whatever and no one cares. I always know where he is and what he does. It's just that i let him do stuff that others wouldn't. And they also frequently get mad because they feel like my son is giving "bad ideas" to their kids (like climbing up that tree or whatever).
>>
>>17541444
What are YOU doing in THAT thread?

>>17541436
No, there isn't...
>>
>>17541445
Climbing is the shit.

Fuck those overprotective helicopter parents. If my parents didn't let me climb as a kid and scrape up my back from a fall I would be a different person with a different job.
>>
>>17541398
You are exactly the way a mom should be.
My mom was like this.
I was climbing trees at 3 and running heavy equipment at 10.
Now I own my own company.
>>
>>17541455
>>17541456
I feel like it's already sad as shit that there aren't groups of kids anymore that can roam and explore the area around them on their own (maybe not at age 5, but definitely at 7). It feels like absolute overkill to also take away the possibility to get to know the strenghts and limits of your body and skills.
I'll just do my thing and not listen to those anxious parents. Thanks anons! I just wantet to make sure i'm not doing some really dumb stuff without realizing it.
>>
>>17541468
My mom let me climb everywhere and all the time. It made me both cautious (I know what falling 20 feet really feels like) and confident (I know how much I can overcome). I later became a very successful military officer and I race motorcycles.
Life is good man.
>>
>>17541468
Sure.

Just be careful if you have a situation like I had when I was younger. My younger brother and I got into a fight at our friend's house and I started pushing him around in the front yard because he was such a little brat and wouldn't follow my directions.

The neighbors threatened to call CPS on our friends and it was a madhouse.
>>
>>17541482
My parents raised us in a similar manner. I guess that's why i do it the way i do. Are you by any chance my brother? It sounds like it...
And that's exactly why i let him do his thing. To get good at judging situations and if he is able to handle them.

>>17541483
I don't exactly get what was going on. Why did you push your brother around? Because he didn't want to do dangerous things you told him?
>>
>>17541504
Ah no. See we had to get ready to leave our friends home or something and he would not listen to me. He has been known all his life to ask too much why he has to do something and not do what people tell him. It is extremely frustrating but he has gotten better as he's matured into the upper teenage years.

This is just a cherrypicked example of stupid things that can happen to people's kids and other parents.
>>
>>17541519
I don't quiet get how that's related to my situation but i guess you wanted to tell me how easily people want to call cps?
>>
>>17541531
Sorry I have been drinking so yes I am trying to relate it to that.

I am speaking of overprotective parents in general. You are doing the right thing.
>>
>>17541398
>Are you by any chance my brother?
Heh
I cannot imagine my sister on 4Chan so probably not.
This type of parenting worked on my 2 sons though, and almost everyone considers my daughter to be the coolest girl they've ever met (she is in the army, beautiful, and is an avid hunter)
>>
>>17541542
He probably can't imagine that too. But the fact you got kids and they already are in the army just convinced me you are not my brother.
Thanks anon! I hope my sons benefits from it some day...
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.