[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Physics or CS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: computer-science1.jpg (669KB, 1280x1240px) Image search: [Google]
computer-science1.jpg
669KB, 1280x1240px
I'm choosing between studying either Physics or Computer Science in uni. What should I pick? I'm interested in both. CS at my
>>
>>17539837
Well there is a desperate shortage of physics teachers in the UK.
>>
Whatever you like better. If you really are equally interested in both of them go for Physics, there's not as many people who have a degree in Physics. Also it's easier to learn CS on your own through online courses than Physics, in case you ever decide you want to learn both.
>>
>>17539847
Yeah, that's the thing. I don't wanna teach and I don't really want to do any insignificant physics research. I don't think that would be rewarding.

But I also don't wanna develop boring banking apps with a CS degree.

Kinda afraid to fall into a pit of lame jobs.
>>
>>17539857
What kind of jobs can I expect to get with a physics degree? Also, what are the chances of being able to participate in a major research project?

Do you know?
>>
Major in physics and minor in CS, if your university allows it.
>>
>>17539863
That's unfortunately not possible. I could major in both but I don't think I could handle it.
>>
Please, I need more advice. I really can't choose.
>>
>>17539837
do you have to choose right away?

which one has a more 'rigid' schedule? as in like if they make everyone take THIS class during THIS semester with no variation (and if you want variation you have to wait until the next damn year and be behind)

start off with that one (so then if you change your mind you could do either) and then try to decide based on classes you've taken in both
>>
>>17539862
In all honesty it's a pretty niche degree, especially if you don't want to go for research or education. You can find jobs in the field, but you need to know your shit really well and not because of the competition, but because you actually need all that knowledge to do your job. Unlike CS, where you can learn a small fraction of the field and get a (usually shitty) job based on it.
Here are some jobs you can expect with a physics degree:
>Nuclear engineer
>Geophysicist/field seismologist
>Seismic interpreter
>Metallurgist
>Meteorologist
I know physicists also fill some niche positions in other fields. for instance they're the one who develop things like microscopes and lenses.
>>
Major in physics, learn CS and SDE in your spare time. Keep in mind you need a graduate degree if you want to do actual physics related research. Getting a PhD and having good programming skills will net you lucrative careers in finance if you live near a place like NYC. If you don't like physics after your junior year, pivot yourself to a dev. Otherwise, do as much undergrad reaearch as possible and get LOR for your professors.
>>
>>17539837

Physicist here. You take Physics because you want to be able to hear the Music of the Spheres. It is a beautiful sound which few ever hear.

If you are more interested in a marketable skill, major in CS.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.