[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone regretted joining the Navy? I really like the idea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: 20160830_171400.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160830_171400.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Has anyone regretted joining the Navy? I really like the idea of traveling around the world and i don't mind ships or close quarters.

Anything I should know before I sign the papers?
>>
I regretted joining the ARMY while I was in. Now that I'm out it's the best moment of my life.

If NAVY is the same many people go in hating it then getting out. ARMY had a bunch of people that got in because they were sweet talked by their recruiters and weren't forewarned of the somewhat tough life it could be.

I was young, stupid, and immature back then but that's how I felt along with all the other people that were young, stupid, and immature.

It might have been harder back then considering so many bases were being deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. War times make military life a lot tougher. Not sure how this information related to the NAVY though.
>>
I started a thread about this too. I have a BA in architecture and want to do Naval Arch but idk if the navy even does a masters degree in it.
>>
But join it if they give you officer status though. That's what I want anyway. Idk your age
>>
>>17534340
I'm 20yo college dropout. So i don't think i qualify to be an officer.
>>
File: full-16.jpg (43KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
full-16.jpg
43KB, 600x450px
>>17534304
>Ship
Wouldn't know about a ship, I was a dirt squid
>>
>>17534793
What was your job?
>>
If you don't like it, you can always do drugs and get dishonorably discharged.
>>
>>17534304
I did eight years in the Army not terribly long after 9/11. I came in with a commission at O-4, I left at O-6, going in was the worst decision of my life. If you're going to enter the military, you need to be absolutely positive that you tolerate the culture. Even as an officer in a relatively insulated position, the incredibly regimented and structured life can be difficult if you're someone who likes making your own plans, being in control, or being able to negotiate the details of your existence.

If you were ever the kind of person who had difficulty with authority, proceed with caution.
>>
This: >>17535385

Say goodbye to half of your individual rights and ability to express an opinion. You're essentially putting yourself at the service of the state, and all that entails.

And the "traveling the world" bit is one of the classic teases the Navy uses to get people to sign on. Yes, technically you travel far to far more places than other service branch people do and get paid for it, but at the same time you're still tied to your ship, the officers, etc. It's like traveling on a leash.

If you don't mind any of that though, all the more power to you, sailor.

>>17534356
You don't, you'd need a degree.
>>
>>17535434
>Say goodbye to half of your individual rights and ability to express an opinion.

That was the biggest problem for me. When you know you're right, when you know that an order you've been given is wrong, when you know this is just about ego, when you know someone is probably going to die if you do what you're told, but you have no choice and no route of appeal. In normal life the absolute worst thing that can happen if you refuse at work is you'll be looking for a new job. In the military you're flat out looking at potential prison time or a dishonorable discharge (which might as well be a felony).
>>
How bad are the officers?
Isn't it just like having a normal job with a manager?

Would i just be able to do my job well and then whatever else I want to do on my free time?
>>
>>17535466
I mean how hard can they be in the Navy? I have trouble comprehending how much they can make me hate my life being on a ship with a Job to do
>>
File: 20 AMB.jpg (589KB, 1734x1752px) Image search: [Google]
20 AMB.jpg
589KB, 1734x1752px
Join the fucking Air Force. In 26 years the only people I saw leave the Air Force for other services had to because force shaping, and those were junior maintenance officers so nothing of value was lost. OTOH we had people from all other services except Coast Guard.
Instead of fucking up, just go AF the first time.

Most of your or anyone else's military career is spent in peacetime, and the AF gives you time to have a life if you choose your job wisely. Part of smart career planning is joining a service where the training isn't likely to damage you enough for early discharge. Totally undramatic shit like a bad back can end a career. (Lift with your legs.)

Do not choose jobs where you'll get stuck with perpetual Sand Box TDYs. Some is fine, but I'd rather work on aircraft (great if you are a gearhead) or do something comfy than be IED bait driving an MSR. That means don't become a cop or anything in Transportation in the AF.

After you wisely choose Air Force, get your job options in writing. Retake ASVAB as necessary. Medical fields are comfy and rewarding with best civilian opportunities. Aircraft maintenance can be fun. Pick systems which last longer than your career, such as airlifters or UAS. That protects you against reductions in force.

Many comfy NATO bases exist. Anywhere in NATO is fun, as are Korea and Japan. Someone has to go there so it might as well be you.

Always think "career" from the beginning. Avoid losers, even if they are friendly. Use your brain, and ask NCOs for career advice. Any NCO who isn't a piece of shit will be glad to help. Officers too.

The payoff besides a couple decades of fun and interesting work is never having to work again (assuming you had your shit together) or freedom to pursue any career because your needs are met.

It ain't Full Metal Jacket.
>>
>>17535933
>I mean how hard can they be in the Navy? I have trouble comprehending how much they can make me hate my life being on a ship with a Job to do

You may actually like it, but necessity means a discipline structure which, if it traps you with an asshole boss, REALLY traps you with an asshole boss.
>>
>>17536695
>tfw born too early for vietnam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKaYOW9zMoY
>>
>>17536709
fugg I meant too late
>>
>>17536715
You never know.
>>
>>17536732
Too bad I was only 11 or something when the Iraqi invasion kicked off

>tfw even my sister deployed to Iraq and I haven't

Shits embarrassing desu
>>
>>17536763
You didn't miss much.
>>
File: 400px-ST-Morita08a.jpg (31KB, 400x219px) Image search: [Google]
400px-ST-Morita08a.jpg
31KB, 400x219px
>>17536791
I hope we go to war somewhere nice this time
>>
>>17536807
I'd just settle for us going to war for a real reason.
>>
yes like 70% of the people i work with
>>
>>17536715
I was just a few years late but we still had plenty of chill vets and some batshit crazy skilled aircrews. At Moody they'd flog Phantoms hard enough to break engine mounts on a training mission...

>I'd just settle for us going to war for a real reason.

If you study history, you'll find most wars are recreational. It really is the sport of kings. (The kings don't play nowadays, they delegate.) The reasons only "matter" in history books. Reasons don't have much effect on operations.

We're in a peaceful era with not much going on besides small wars. Maybe we'll destroy Iran for our Saudi masters, but I doubt it. They'll work that shit out in proxy wars elsewhere.

Desert Storm was mostly fun for the Air Force. The fighter and attack aircrews dug it. I worked hot pit refuel (refuel on ground with engine running) at Al Kharj and we'd BS with the pilots about their sorties. Next door were the A-10s and their crew chiefs were constantly adding kill stencils for everyfuckingthing. The funniest one I saw was stick people for strafing runs.

Finished up in 2007. Fuck making the supergrades, I preferred having a life and 26 years HYT was just right. Would do again without hesitation. Have decades worth of bros around the world.

Thanks to the young active, Guard and Reserve folks for picking up the torch.
>>
>>17537100
I would definitely re-up if there was a war going on

I would destroy Iranian pussy if a war kicked off there but I don't really regret serving

>tfw should have just been a devil dog instead though for sick muscle gains and pussy slaying
>>
If you're not a faggot, join the Marines instead.
>>
I've always heard theres a big prison-gay culture on the carriers
>>
File: full-5.jpg (29KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
full-5.jpg
29KB, 600x450px
>>17535289
I was a MR assigned to Seabees, pretty much a Navy POG
>>
Anyone ever rape a chick during war or do they just let u?
>>
Been in the navy 3 years now and here's what I can tell you about it.
Do you get to see the world?
Yes and no, depending on what coast you get stationed on determines where you will go when you get underway, or go on deployments. East coast duty stations go on Mediterranean cruises and west coast ships go for Asian countries. Any time you hit a liberty port you will be restricted by a curfew, distance restrictions, and the dreaded duty day.
There are two glaring issues with the navy that I personally see.
1) its a political mess and most of the time instead of what you would expect from the military I.e. go do this and you do it, most of the time you're stuck looking for bullshit work to do or else you get your ass chewed into the high heavens. Work is miserable in every sense of the word because there's a mountain of paperwork and comparing dicks behind every action you take.
2) duty, you'll have a rotation of duty sections which are usually undermanned in which you will stay on the ship for 24 hours in port, standing watch and responding to any casualty you have on board. You'll get no rest on these days after spending most of the day standing bullshit watches and being hassled by leadership.
The navy has taught me a lot in regards to myself and I've been to places I probably never would have gone to as a civilian. I got to see the northern lights off the coast of Norway, but all of this wgioe being treated like a child. In my eyes, the con's outweigh the pros and the navy is a branch I regret joining.
>>
>>17538499
Thanks for weighing in. How about the time not on a ship? I think i can handle that for 6 months every year and a half.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.