[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Graduate Schools Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: e91.jpg (4KB, 165x115px) Image search: [Google]
e91.jpg
4KB, 165x115px
Hey /adv/,

I've just started my sophomore year at a really shitty undergrad university as a double major in chemistry and biology. I really had to pick this one because I got good financial aid through their honors program and I have to stay local to help family (alcoholic dad, sister with seizures who can't really be alone, etc.). I have a 4.0 so far (really not impressive given how shitty this school is but with my luck it'll probably drop), and I'm interested in applying to graduate schools after matriculation.

I'm interested in studying genetics and have been able to do research there the summer before I started my freshman year and was just awarded a $4k grant this past summer. I've also just become a TA for the freshman lab I took last year (only one I am able to TA).

I'm feeling pretty damn hopeless, depressed, and riddled with anxiety. There's people who go to way better schools than I do that don't get accepted into good graduate programs, so I feel like it's foolish to even think I have a shot. I wanted to know if anyone had any sound advice. Should I just give up? Is there anything else that I should be doing?

I just need someone to talk to about this, and any solid advice is really appreciated. Thanks.
>>
bump please very desperate
>>
>>17533828

Not sure why you think the rank of your undergraduate school matters that much. I went to a state school barely in the top 100, and got into a top 20 school for my field.

Sure, there are probably some limits, if it's a low tier community college then you probably won't make it to Harvard, but all things considered what school you got your Bachelor's in doesn't matter that much.
>>
>>17533828
All about your grades and extra curriculars. You're doing fine and honestly this sounds like a subtle brag
>>
Undergrad ranking doesn't matter all that much at all. Keep your grades up, keep being a TA, buddy up to a few professors to get good letters, do well on the GRE. Congrats, you just got yourself a shot at a top program.

Apply to 4-5 schools you think you have a good shot to get into, 1 safety school, and 1-2 long shots.

I went to an unranked state school and got accepted to several top programs. One with funding (don't even have to be a TA either). You'll do fine, lad. Applying to grad school is half the battle. From there just work on your shit and network a bit.
>>
>>17534010
Didn't mean for it to come across as one at all just dealing with awful anxiety about it right now.

Thanks guys for the advice it means a lot. I'll keep on keeping on.
>>
The only thing they look for is your GRE or MCAT score anyway.
>>
>>17534072
Will keep in mind. You have my hearty thanks lad for your advice.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.