[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice for a College grad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Mentok.gif (481KB, 274x214px) Image search: [Google]
Mentok.gif
481KB, 274x214px
>Jump around sciences until 2nd year
>Decide to be an actuary and major in applied math with econ emphasis
>ez pz
>study insurance over the summer before my senior year
>fail exam, hate insurance, math and econ are still very easy for me
>can't come up with another plan before I graduate with no experience and degree I don't care for (at least I have honors)

It's not that I didn't plan for anything, it's just that everyone told me to focus on getting out in four years. I did that despite switching majors so much, but that meant that my whole life was school (even the summers).

So now I have no experience and no obvious career goals. I feel like CS would be a good step but I have no experience in that except for basic jave (like barely the fundamentals) and an intro C++ class.

Any advice y'all have woulf be greatly appreciated, especially people with years of working under their belt.

21 btw.
>>
Despite what people believe, you'll need a lot more than knowing a programming language to get a cs job. If you really want to go that route, teach yourself data structures and algorithms and be comfortable with 3 languages and you should be fine if you decide to pursue that route.
>>
Don't hurry up to finish in 4 years if it means going for a field you dislike. Another year spent at uni can make the rest of your life easier.

I know some people who study actuarial sciences and all of them complain about the math and modeling part, I have never heard complains about insurance, so if you have problems with it you're certainly not fit to work in the field. But don't worry, there are plenty of things you can do with math + economy. Have you considered financial modeling, risk management and financial engineering, for instance? Or maybe statics.

CS is the go-to field for nerds and people who are unsure about their career and for this reason it can be pretty hard to land a decent job in the field, you'd need to be pretty good and be able to prove it. At least in the west. Don't let this discourage you if you enjoy it, but you shouldn't go in just because it "seems like a good step". There's a lot of information to gather and you'll have to constantly learn new things in order to stay competitive. If you don't enjoy what you're doing you're not going to like working in the field.

Or you know, since you seem to like math you could just focus on it and aim to become a university teacher.

There are many options for you and I can't think of every one of them, you're the one who needs to decide and you should give it some consideration. Don't be afraid to "waste" a few years to make sure you end up in a field to your liking, you'll be much happier in the long run.
>>
>>17532519
I see CS as something long term; it'd be something I invest in with classes over a few years and maybe some side projects.

>>17532563
In all honesty, I think I just took the exam at bad time of my life. I was really depressed and was just trying tk get through school and the exam was just stress on top of it. I'm an honors student so I'm usually a great test taker, and math is the easiesy subject for me. I wouldn't be opposed to trying again with a better mindset, but not for now.

I already graduated too.

Finance is interesting, but I'd meed more experience since most entry level finance jobs require a finance degree (and usually accounting experience).
>>
>>17532581
It might be different in your area, but where I live employers are desperate to find people for entry-level risk management and financial analyst positions. People who are good at math and have the basic economics knowledge to apply it in the field can get jobs paid at over 1.75x average national wage without any kind of experience. Still, in the long term actuarial jobs pay better, CS too if you keep expanding your knowledge base.

You do need some accounting basics for these things too, but nothing too fancy. If you want accounting experience/knowledge you can go for an internship in auditing, they're usually desperate to find young employees (because most of the people quit after 1-3 years. Because auditing sucks, but a 3months-1yr job/internship is great for learning accounting and be introduced to real world finances) and they usually hire in the last quarter of the year. As in now.
>>
>>17532619
Shit, sign me up. I'm willing to get me feet wet in any way possible, I'd just like some experience. Are these usually posted positions?
>>
>>17532652
Yes. There are. If you live in a big enough city most likely it'll have subsidiaries of all the big 4. These companies hire in the tens and even hundreds, depending how big the city is in this period (sept-december) every year. Well at least that's how it works where I live. Last year KPMG hired over 100 people during these months, most of them in auditing position (in a city of ~2 mil people).

If you want to look for a job/internship like this you should just look at the sites of the big 4 for jobs in your area.
>>
>>17532693
There isn't any in my area though. I'm not opposed to moving, but I'm in a catch-22 where I need to move to work and need to work to move.
>>
Bump before bed
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.