[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question about social security disabiliy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

A question to anyone who works in law or social security.

I>I'm over the age of 22
>applying for Social Security Disability because of autism (has been documented since I was 8)
>Have never held a job for more than 3 months without being fired
>My just father died.

I was advised to apply for social security survivor benefits but just got the application back saying I was rejected because I wasn't considered disabled before the age of 22.

However I was diagnosed well before the age of 22. What is the deal? Can you only be considered disabled if Social Security says your disabled? Wouldn't you already be collecting disability then?
>>
they claim your disability started at age 22? that's pretty absurd, but I don't know how autism and disability work. you might want a lawyer. These cases are all very simple, standard and easy, so lawyers do them for cheap.
>>
>>17529214
According to the social security it's the following.

>Your unmarried children who are under 18 (up to age 19 if attending elementary or secondary school full time) can be eligible to receive Social Security benefits when you die. And your child can get benefits at any age if he or she was disabled before age 22 and remains disabled.

So even though I was medically diagnosed years before I was 22, they say I wasn't considered disabled before then.

I'm hesitant about looking for a lawyer because of the fees and quality of work.
>>
Get a disability lawer. They'll be able to help you more than anyone here
>>
>>17529232
basic arrangement for disability lawyer

they take a portion of your backpay, a bigol check you get for the time you were disabled but weren't receiving benefits

if you don't the benefits, they don't get their portion of the check. it's mutually beneficit

and yeah I never heard of autism starting at age 22. when did you claim your disability started?
>>
>>17529240
this, I got disability and that's how it worked with my attorney. mine had a fee of 25% of the lump sum of back pay, with a max of $6k (so if my lump sum had been $24k or $100k, he'd still only get $6k). they only get paid if you win. if you don't have a good chance of winning, they won't waste their time on you. if they take your case, it means you probably have a good chance of winning.

also in some places, if you are getting certain services through the county, you might be eligible for a county caseworker who can help you navigate the benefits system in general. worth looking into if you don't have one already.
>>
>>17529240
>>17529239
>>17529214
I was officially diagnosed (As in have medical papers to prove it) by a doctor/psychiatrist with autism when I was 15.

So yeah, the only thing I can think of is they're using red tape to say that you aren't considered disabled unless social security claims you are which is why I got rejected. Would that be the case?

I guess my follow up question is what's the best way to look into lawyers who'd take my case?
>>
>>17529239
This. You have to have one or they will almost always deny it.
>>
>>17529296
not that anon but personally I feel the best way to find a good lawyer is through word of mouth. if you know anybody who successfully got disability in the last 10 years or so, ask them who they used. if you can find some people who were unsuccessful in getting disability, it helps to know who they used too. I actually found mine through my spiritual advisor, whose son is disabled.

anyway, failing that, you could probably google "disability attorney" and the name of your city, or the nearest big city, and see if any of them have good reviews/ratings. then make an appointment with one or two and scope them out. by which I mean
>does the lawyer sound like they know their stuff
>do they seem like someone you want on your side
>do they seem experienced, how many cases have they done, etc
>do they look like they win enough cases to afford good help and maintenance on their office (office isn't run-down, staff seem friendly, etc.)

before you see them, it's a good idea to start making a list of all the doctors and other professionals you've seen about your autism and approximately when. request a copy of your records from the clinic if you can, or at least a list of dates of service.

the opinion of an MD, especially a psychiatrist, will carry more weight than anything else. so the more of that you can get, the better. the attorney will need to prove that not only have you had autism since at least the age of 15, but that it was severe enough to be disabling. that may have been where your previous claim wasn't strong enough. your attorney will probably be more skilled in making the case that you've actually been disabled for that long even if the records don't directly show that.

good luck OP, it's a long road but I'm sure you'll get there.
>>
>>17529379
I'll have to ask my family since I'm a shut in with no connections.

I already got my case history files and reports from the psychiatrists I've seen starting from the official diagnosis. (The only thing that might go against me is the tests show I'm intelligent.) Including the latest tests done and updates from whom I'm currently seeing.

So I should hope an attorney is able to make that case because they already had those papers when I made my initial claim? Or was there something I missed along the way?
>>
File: MFW NEET Ballin'.jpg (244KB, 1330x486px) Image search: [Google]
MFW NEET Ballin'.jpg
244KB, 1330x486px
>>17529198

You should have done your homework, comrade.

Free money is the shit.

My OC.
>>
Not the OP but i have a few questions about this stuff, didn't want to make a new thread about it.

I live in a state where depression is classified as a disability, and i'm scheduled to see a psychiatrist soon. I've been diagnosed by my main doctor years ago, though.

>When should i mention getting disability? As in, how many visits should i wait until i tell them?
>If i saw a psychiatrist when i was 21 or so, but the depression was diagnosed around the age of 16 or so, which year gets used for the claim?
>I know i'll get denied at first because that's how i heard it usually is. Even if i dont have much money, should i get a lawyer for it? Can i pay them after i get my claim approved?
>i've had jobs before, but none lasted more than a month, how does this affect my claim?
>does having another condition qualify you for more money?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.